SD Card - content suddenly missing

piannetta

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, the past 2 days I've started having issues with my SD card. It's mounted and the startup check doesn't report any errors. It shows up in file explorer, and shows the free space correctly (I have all my music and photos on the card, I know I have about 17GB free, and that's what file explorer shows as does Windows when I connect to my PC). But the files and folders are not showing up.

The first time this happened, I was able to use the smart manager app and it found the files, but the folders were prefaced by a 5-digit number that wasn't there before. In that instance, I reboot the phone and everything came back.

But this time, I've reboot several times and it's not getting fixed.

Not sure what to do, looking for some advice please.

Pete

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html. If it finds bad sectors, and the photos aren't crucial to save, then go ahead and allow chkdsk to try repairing those sectors. If the photos are really precious, then you'll have to try recovering them using 3rd party software: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...-s/500142-guide-recovering-deleted-files.html

piannetta

May 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, so the SD card can be read by my PC, all files are available via the PC even if they aren't on the device. I believe that something happened when I ran the latest OS update. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the card

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would back up all of that data to your computer's hard drive, then reformat the card. Copy the data back to the card, and reinsert into the phone. Does it work now?