Camera Remorse

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, now I am not happy with this camera. I have been using my s7e alot this week, graduations, awards ceremonies, etc, and my pictures aren't as good as I would like them to be. My s6 took amazing pics without having to tweak the settings. So, now I am trying to decide if I need to trade this s7e in to get a phone with a better camera, and I have no idea what to choose.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What is the problem you've been having with the pictures? The S7 has one of the best cameras on the market... my wife has a S7 and she has zero complaints about the thing.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, now I am not happy with this camera. I have been using my s7e alot this week, graduations, awards ceremonies, etc, and my pictures aren't as good as I would like them to be. My s6 took amazing pics without having to tweak the settings. So, now I am trying to decide if I need to trade this s7e in to get a phone with a better camera, and I have no idea what to choose.

The aperture difference between the S6 and S7 is noticeable in low lights, but to accomplish this Samsung needed to reduce the MP to 12 from 16, but with the faster focus and shooter this shouldn't matter unless you will be enlarging photos to not so normal sizes. If you are in Low light situations like the ones you are describing (I assume that is the case) in the S7 it has been recommended to do 2 things, first one is to Turn off HDR and the second one to not use Auto Flash, you leave it on or off.

I know you didn't need to do that on the S6 but some times things must be sacrifice in order to accomplish others, and Samsung opted to try to get better low light pictures and faster focus, and for that plain old Auto Mode may not be the best option when taking Low Light pictures. Try again in a similar situation and try the 2 things I posted above, if you still don't like results then by all means try to get another phone you may like more.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In terms of cropping, the 12vs16 is really no different. The S6 has a 16x9 aspect sensor and the S7's is 4:3... So the S6 only has two 2MP bands on each margin and zero advantage when it comes to pixel-level resolution... In fact, the S7 actually has a higher vertical resolution than the S6, and the larger pixel pitch means that each pixel should be better able to resolve correctly.

The "16MP has more detail because it has more pixels" is a myth... any detail difference would be most likely due to other factors, like the different focal length and a difference in field of view (I believe the S7 has a larger FoV by the way).... and resolved by using your feet as your zoom lens, which people who use prime lenses on their DSLRs are accustomed to.

I suspect the OP's complaint might be more related to exposure levels, or something else... the S7's post-processing is quite heavy handed, maybe that's the cause.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
The only complaint i have is with video recording. Seriously, it's junk. FHD (60fps) it janks up unless you turn off stabilization. Ok, i get that. But when recording regular FHD, after 2 minutes it says "camera was shut down due to excessive heat". The dang phone isn't hot! But the other modes it works great.

So i feel the OP's pain even though it's a different issue.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Low light is a huge issue. Like when your kids are on stage. I was close to the stage, at the most 10 ft away, and still had horrible pictures. Honestly, turning on the flash made the pictures sharper and less noisy. Some shots I have taken with this phone have great. But I am a mom, who uses the camera ALOT. Camera is probably right up there with battery, in terms of most important features.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't be a big photographer but, while it's fine for the most part, I can definitely notice it lacking in quality compared to my old phone in the type of pictures I take.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The S7 loses a lot of detail due to the oversharpening applied to every image. You tend to lose some of the finer detail in the process. Shooting in raw can overcome this but then you're looking at triple or more times the storage needed for a picture as well as time needed to post process the shots.

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
The S7 loses a lot of detail due to the oversharpening applied to every image. You tend to lose some of the finer detail in the process. Shooting in raw can overcome this but then you're looking at triple or more times the storage needed for a picture as well as time needed to post process the shots.

I don't think it's over sharpening you are seeing unless your phone is different than mine. What I see is extremely aggressive use of noise reduction. All the detail is lost and your left with a bunch of edges and no texture.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's over sharpening you are seeing unless your phone is different than mine. What I see is extremely aggressive use of noise reduction. All the detail is lost and your left with a bunch of edges and no texture.

This! Exactly.

bullittmustang

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I was just thinking about this earlier. I agree, I think my S6 edge took better photos.

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site

Trade it in for the new htc 10. It has a much better camera.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

In these forums I often read how the user's expectations haven't been met with their phone camera. I know this won't help you with recovering all your previous photo opportunities, and if you're not necessarily tied to the idea that you must use your phone for taking pictures, I heartily suggest buying a pocket digital camera and using that instead of chasing the "best" phone camera. Especially for events that can be planned like weddings and grad ceremonies.

I know a small digital camera is one more thing that adds bulk to one's pocket or purse but newer cameras can be small and light and produce really good results. IMHO most compact digital cameras are much better than any phone camera out there today.

Like most current devices the S7 is a really good phone that has a camera.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
In terms of low light photography, the HTC 10 and the S7 are the best among current phones, and well, the quality isn't that much far apart. From what I see is that things you gain in one camera you lose in the other. So I second the opinion above, if you're into low light photography forget phone cameras, unless you plan on tinkering the settings via Pro Mode to get the best out of the camera. And I suggest to try to switch to Sports Mode if you are taking pictures of a play. The people are moving a lot on stage, coupled with low lighting, this may be causing the problems you are seeing.

But the easiest least painful option is always a dedicated camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos