S7 edge broken, need opinions

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
So my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge broke... At first a third of the screen went pink and flickery, so I contacted samsung and they said do a factory reset and get back to them. To no surprise this did nothing, so whilst I was contacting them again the screen completely went so it was sent off to Anovo and it came back with this image saying....

“We have located damage on your device and this damage is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
Our engineers have found liquid damage and are therefore unable to further assess any faults you were experiencing.
Please see attached a picture of the damage.
This damage is considered too severe for us to proceed, and classes your product as Beyond Economical Repair. (BER)”
0.jpg

I've never put my phone in water as I've never wanted to risk it but it has been exposed to a bit of rain (the weather hasn't been the best in the UK). I phoned Anovo to find out what was going on. The man on the phone told me exactly what the email said, and when I went on to say “I thought it was water resistant” he panicked and put me on hold to speak to someone. He then came back and said the engineers found water in the charging port.

This I thought was strange as the USB port is supposed to turn off to stop water damage from happening. But what's even stranger to me is that the phone still functions, it charges, it vibrates for notifications and the little light comes on, it makes sounds when you press the volume buttons, you can double tap the home button and it opens the camera, you can press the volume buttons to take pictures. So I feel like it's not as broken as I'm being told. Was just wondering if anyone else had any opinions on what's happened.

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't much matter what anyone else thinks as Samsung has already decided and given you their report. I would go to my carrier's store and discuss with the manager, but Sammy does not seem to be standing behind their ip68 certification.

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I think you need to read this thread if you haven't already. Their response to you sounds an awful lot like this poster's response that they received: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/673531-s7e-fried-samsung-s-response.html

Thank you for sending me that! It's basically the same but my port doesn't seem to be fried (but it was getting very hot before I sent it in) So far I've sent a letter and email to samsung and an email to Mobiles.co.uk where I brought it from! Definitely not going to let it go!

Last edited:

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
After posting this today I managed to connect my phone to my TV after guessing where the cast button was with pictures on google, I assume if it was BER then the phone shouldn't be working to this level.

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't much matter what anyone else thinks as Samsung has already decided and given you their report. I would go to my carrier's store and discuss with the manager, but Sammy does not seem to be standing behind their ip68 certification.

It's not so much what people think, I probably worded it wrong, it's more please help in what I can do haha! I want to get the word out there that this is happening and by queenren's response it's not just happening to me so it it has happened to anyone else it would be nice to find out how they went about it

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
So far 5 phone calls telling me they can't do anything, 1 formal letter and 2 emails and I am still yet to hear back from them. Samsung customer service is ridiculous. My phone hasn't been in any water apart from rain, it's still fully functional, just no screen. Please if anyone has any contact numbers or emails from higher up in samsung then let me know! I really need some help

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Follow what the other guy in the otherwise thread did. Apparently this is a known issue with Anovo itself. Everything is water damage to them.

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Follow what the other guy in the otherwise thread did. Apparently this is a known issue with Anovo itself. Everything is water damage to them.

Yeah I think it's just going to be a case of fighting for it! I checked the water damage sticker thing in the sim tray and it's still white

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
This sucks. Sorry to hear your story OP. Keep us posted because water resistant feature of S7E is a key point for me to consider it as my next upgrade.

Posted via Android Central App

throttlehappy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
My son had the same issue with his phone. Worked, but no screen. Brought it back to Sprint and got a brand new one from them. Not sure who Sprint went through but there were no issues.

fantasist2016

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey cal1904, I'm the poster from the other thread.

I went through quite a process with them before getting anywhere, even emailing their customer service director didn't get me a good response for the 1st try. However, the 2nd try together with the formal written complaints to both their headquarters in Chertsey and their customer service headquarters in Sheffield worked (you can find both addresses on their contact us page, remember to use recorded delivery).

I think this is what you could do:

1. keep calling Samsung customer service on a daily basis, try speaking to a manager and try speaking to their product liaison team, that's their high level support. Call ANOVO as well, keep demanding tangible evidence for water damage. They can't dictate on their customers without showing tangible evidence. This may not get you anywhere. But your calls are recorded I think and they do keep notes under your account.

2. when you think it's time, do 2 written complains to the addresses I mentioned above, tell them your whole experience backed by some evidence. They told me they have a policy to get in touch with you within 7 days they receive your complaints. (on the 10th day, I reached a department that was dealing with complaints, they told me it's been escalated to the highest level and they are investigating my case with ANOVO, I then told them, it's your own investigation with your contractor, don't waste my time, give me my phone. I was told I had to wait.)

3. I was desperate, I found Samsung customer service director and head of sales' email addresses, and I emailed my written complaints, postage receipts with an introduction email to them. I was polite, and I told them I liked the phone but the service was not up to par. They would reply to you. In my case, they replied to me with all irrelevant information because they didn't read my email and attachment. I got a little over the edge, and they admitted their fault and resolved the case for me.

As I said in the original thread, I still feel I'm at the losing end. I could've used the time I spent with Samsung in the past month to do anything I wanted and that's the time they can never compensate.

If you need any help OP, pm me.

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey cal1904, I'm the poster from the other thread.

I went through quite a process with them before getting anywhere, even emailing their customer service director didn't get me a good response for the 1st try. However, the 2nd try together with the formal written complaints to both their headquarters in Chertsey and their customer service headquarters in Sheffield worked (you can find both addresses on their contact us page, remember to use recorded delivery).

I think this is what you could do:

1. keep calling Samsung customer service on a daily basis, try speaking to a manager and try speaking to their product liaison team, that's their high level support. Call ANOVO as well, keep demanding tangible evidence for water damage. They can't dictate on their customers without showing tangible evidence. This may not get you anywhere. But your calls are recorded I think and they do keep notes under your account.

2. when you think it's time, do 2 written complains to the addresses I mentioned above, tell them your whole experience backed by some evidence. They told me they have a policy to get in touch with you within 7 days they receive your complaints. (on the 10th day, I reached a department that was dealing with complaints, they told me it's been escalated to the highest level and they are investigating my case with ANOVO, I then told them, it's your own investigation with your contractor, don't waste my time, give me my phone. I was told I had to wait.)

3. I was desperate, I found Samsung customer service director and head of sales' email addresses, and I emailed my written complaints, postage receipts with an introduction email to them. I was polite, and I told them I liked the phone but the service was not up to par. They would reply to you. In my case, they replied to me with all irrelevant information because they didn't read my email and attachment. I got a little over the edge, and they admitted their fault and resolved the case for me.

As I said in the original thread, I still feel I'm at the losing end. I could've used the time I spent with Samsung in the past month to do anything I wanted and that's the time they can never compensate.

If you need any help OP, pm me.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah when I messaged you it didn't come up in my sent folder either. Got 2 updates, I just phoned Samsung again and the lady said that my letter was replied to yesterday and if I don't get it in the next two days to call back. I have also contacted Mobiles.co.uk where I brought the phone from and they said
"We’re sorry to hear the handset is becoming faulty. You have 12 months warranty with Carphone Warehouse. You can take the handset into any Carphone Warehouse store that will be able to repair it free of charge. If the handset cannot be repaired the store will replace it for you." So that may be a possibility, but if it gets fixed by them then I'm going to be so annoyed at samsung and anovo for wasting my time

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
So my phone is now with the geek squad (carphonewarehouse) so figures crossed! Also got a letter from Samsung, with a few typos, today saying that the engineers don't need to determine how or when the damage occurred... But didn't anwser my questions on why the USB didn't detect the water and why my phone still works and charges if it is beyond economical repair..

cal1904

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Just had a trip to the geek squad (carphonewarehouse) and my phone was fully functional and fixed under manufacture warranty!! I told them about everything that had happened with anovo and samsung and they said there was no sign of liquid damage! So far i've spent over £60 on calls, posting letters and trains which is a joke! I'm going to push for an investigation to find out why I was lied to several times!!

FlyHigh365

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd just get rid of any Samsung product I own and use another manufacturer. I'm big on customer service. If your customer service is not good, I refuse to give you my business.

sorinrad

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
it happend to me the other week , my S7 Edge got bearly wet in my pocket while I was driving my quad , called Samsung and try to explain the situation , and they wanted to have the phone shipped to them for repairs.
I have sent the phone to them and finaly 2 days ago I received back , whit a note that my phone is not repairable and my warranty is voided.
I called Samsung customer service rightaway and try to find out what is going on since my phone is not even 1 month old and is advertise as a water resistent phone ???
they told me that my phone is not covered by water damage and "it is what it is" , I will have to deal with this.
I'm very disappointed in Samsung products and their customer service department, at this point I dont know what to do , I paid almost $700 for the phone and it's not working .

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
On their warranty it does state that they do not cover water damage because the phone is not water PROOF it's water RESISTANT which are two different things

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21