Wifi & 4G Icons

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am always on wifi when at home, and the 4G notification icon has been grayed out. Over the last couple days the 4G icon is now lit up at the same time, but shows no activity. Haven't seen any increased battery usage and GSAM still shows wifi as active.

Just a heads up, have seen no other changes.

johnny8410

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This has been happening to me as well , usually at home. I restart the phone and the 4GLTE goes away. I noticed it after last update

ktabel01

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I was seeing this last week as well, the 4G would flash repeatedly despite a strong WIFI signal. haven't noticed any difference with the battery either. on verizon

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is normal now a days (especially with Verzion/AT&T phones) to see the LTE symbol even when on wifi. As you said it should be going over wifi so no worries on data.

In actuality the phone is always connected to LTE on the back-end. They're just showing it now as a grayed out symbol versus disappearing on some phones.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The symbol "was" grayed out, now it's white, the same as the wifi. That's the issue, not that the 4G symbol is there.

Also normal. Could be an app causing it to stay active. Usually you'll only see activity under it for things like MMS.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Do you have your phone set to automatically use mobile data when your Wi-Fi gets unstable? It is an option in Settings. I don't know if that's the reason, just offering a suggestion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have your phone set to automatically use mobile data when your Wi-Fi gets unstable? It is an option in Settings. I don't know if that's the reason, just offering a suggestion.

This usually isn't the cause. Most AT&T / Verizon phones do this. The icon is either gray and inactive or its active and white which is usually always caused by an app.

Such as my buddy when he's at my house. The Verizon 4G LTE symbol sits gray and only goes white / active when an MMS is downloading from a text. When he first got the phone, even though the wifi was being used, the 4G LTE symbol stayed white due to a caller ID app he had running on his phone. It caused it to stay active so when someone called it would use mobile data to check with Verizon to see who was calling from that number.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
This usually isn't the cause. Most AT&T / Verizon phones do this. The icon is either gray and inactive or its active and white which is usually always caused by an app.

Such as my buddy when he's at my house. The Verizon 4G LTE symbol sits gray and only goes white / active when an MMS is downloading from a text. When he first got the phone, even though the wifi was being used, the 4G LTE symbol stayed white due to a caller ID app he had running on his phone. It caused it to stay active so when someone called it would use mobile data to check with Verizon to see who was calling from that number.

Maybe the S7 Edge's built-in caller ID app (the one that tells you if a call is junk/scam) is causing it?

I have Sprint and on this phone, mobile data being on just adds "LTE" at the top left corner of the cell reception bars icon. When it is off, it isn't there at all. I don't have the unstable option turned on, so I don't know if it shows up with that option turned on.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the S7 Edge's built-in caller ID app (the one that tells you if a call is junk/scam) is causing it?

I have Sprint and on this phone, mobile data being on just adds "LTE" at the top left corner of the cell reception bars icon. When it is off, it isn't there at all. I don't have the unstable option turned on, so I don't know if it shows up with that option turned on.

Same thing mainly. Sprint just shows "LTE" above the signal bar (like stock Android) whereas T-Mobile / AT&T / Verizon show "4G LTE" (with various differences).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My S3 had a separate icon for cell data, not just adding to the reception bar icon.

Oh no I understand. Like the S7 / S7 Edge now. I am just saying stock Android usually has the LTE above the cell bars. I believe Sprint keeps this within their phones as well.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Oh no I understand. Like the S7 / S7 Edge now. I am just saying stock Android usually has the LTE above the cell bars. I believe Sprint keeps this within their phones as well.

A family member of mine just got a Verizon Note 5 and their data icon is separate from the reception bar icon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A family member of mine just got a Verizon Note 5 and their data icon is separate from the reception bar icon.

Yes -- every carrier does things different. Sprint tries to keep theirs more stock and have the LTE symbol above the cell signal (like a Nexus phone). Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T keeps it separate and has the 4G LTE on its own.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The icons also look different for the different carriers. It's just how each carrier does things.

Onestone

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
My wife was sitting only 6 feet from our working wi-fi modem but her phone was still running on 4G. The selection is not automatic, it needs setting manually.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife was sitting only 6 feet from our working wi-fi modem but her phone was still running on 4G. The selection is not automatic, it needs setting manually.
Do you have any third party apps that could be interfering with wifi?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay