Does Google Keyboard work OK on your phone?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Is it working ok on your phones? Since the last update (the one that brought all the emojis and swiping the space bar for cursor moving) I find it very erratic, especially posting on pages like forums like this. When I try to delete it seems to skip characters and delete the wrong one and when you reenter the letter it types it twice. Sometimes it skips whole words or if you use the word suggestions it sticks the correct word in the middle of the one it's meant to replace.

Anyone else having issues?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It probably won't help, but try clearing the Google Keyboard app cache in the App Manager.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I too am having odd issues, just as you described, ever since the latest update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I used Google Keyboard for a long time with my G3, but after MM, my keyboard started to lag and I almost immediately switched back to SwiftKey. Haven't looked back since! It's a great app with a lot of customization (like theme colours!!), so if you're in the market for a new keyboard, I highly recommend this one!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Swift key has some bug that gives me double words quite frequently. So switched to google and haven't made a typing mistake yet. This KB has really improved. Thanks to the above comments tho I shall continue to forgo the recent update.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the stock keyboard since yesterday with none of the same issues so the problem is definitely with the Google app. Mind you, the stock keyboard has enough other issues and is pretty crap but it's the next best for me so I'll stick with it til Google fixes theirs

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My personal experience of Google Keyboard on Edge sucks big time. There is a lag when I swipe or type. I tried everything I can - reinstall, clear cache - but same issue.

Now I switch between Samsung and Chrooma keyboards.

oneformula

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My personal experience of Google Keyboard on Edge sucks big time. There is a lag when I swipe or type. I tried everything I can - reinstall, clear cache - but same issue.

Now I switch between Samsung and Chrooma keyboards.

odd. google keyboard works great on my s7 edge and my wife's s6 edge

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Nexus 6p and it's been horrible for a month or so now since the update. When I go to à spot I have previously typed and try to backspace, after deleting a few characters it jumps to another spot so I have to move it to delete what I wanted. Then when I go back to my previous spot, I'll start typing and after a few characters it's back to the spot I was just and half of the word I just typed has now replaced what I just edited.

However the suckage moved into overdrive today. If I type too fast, instead of what I intended to type, in some cases it puts in the special characters like numbers or symbols, sometimes it skips characters, and three times now it randomly started backspacing all on its own deleting a few words before it stops.

The prediction is way off. It was perfect before the update, now it's like it purged whatever I added previously and many times doesn't recognize simple words.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, in just this post alone I've seen around 50 errors happen and I had 2 more random deletions after I mentioned them above. Just a second ago a pop-up appeared for changing the language or going into settings without any prompting on my part. I don't know what they did but the took something perfectly fine and turned it into crap.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I've been having some of the issues the OP mentioned. Thing is I use SwiftKey keyboard. Could this be an issue thats more deeply rooted in the phones?

Posted from my S7 Edge via the Android Central App

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I get keyboard freezing when I use Web browsers with swiftkey and stock. I'll be typing and it will freeze for a couple seconds. If I keep typing, it will eventually catch up and type all of the letters but it's extremely annoying. My S6 did the exact same thing.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I noticed when I make my own theme, the background does not go all the way to the top of the keyboard if the keyboard height is set too tall.

Attachments

• 1466643513482.jpg
    1466643513482.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 15

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I've been having some of the issues the OP mentioned. Thing is I use SwiftKey keyboard. Could this be an issue thats more deeply rooted in the phones?

Posted from my S7 Edge via the Android Central App

It happened me on an older phone (LG) with Google Keyboard once too and I had to use the stock keyboard for a long time. Had been going fine on this for a long time until the last update.