Why doesn't the fingerprint unlock work after upgrade to Marshmallow 6.0.1?

A

AC Question

Since my Galaxy S7 Edge received the Marshmallow 6.0.1 up grade I am unable to unlock my phone using my fingerprint. I get a warning 'Enter PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition because of security policy'. It does work but only very rarely. I now have to use my PIN. This was not the case before the upgrade when I hardly every had to enter my PIN.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, go to Settings>Security and see what happens if you Clear Credentials. If that doesn't help, then try removing your fingerprints from memory, then set up the fingerprint unlock again.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How are you turning the screen off? If you are using any third-party method then it will require a pin

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am using Nova Launcher and I'm getting the, "Enter PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition because of security policy." issue.

Is this solvable without ditching Nova Launcher?
You can use Nova launcher, just turn the phone screen off with the power button. It should now turn on using fingerprint.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When the phone locks itself, it asks for the PIN.

Any ideas?
It is probably related to some third party app. Mine works fine with screen timeout.

If you can't figure out which app, you can backup any important data and do a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem.

osubass1

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
if you have Nova set as an administrator on your phone, that's the cause of the problem.

i don't use Nova, but there are several thread in the forum that talk about this issue. you may need to search a bit to see if you can find the resolution.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
if you have Nova set as an administrator on your phone, that's the cause of the problem.

i don't use Nova, but there are several thread in the forum that talk about this issue. you may need to search a bit to see if you can find the resolution.
I have Nova set as device administrator and fps works fine. About the only issue with Nova is if you set a gesture to turn the screen off, and use the gesture to turn the screen off then it will require pin /password. You can have it set in the settings but use the power button to turn off and it should work fine

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can try to disable Nova from device administrator. I don't think it will make a difference, so long as you use the power button to turn off... But you can try.

Joe Beanfish

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
If you are using any third-party method then it will require a pin

Huh?? What's that got to do with unlocking?
Thank you Google for making the fingerprint reader useless. You keep making getting into the phone more and more cumbersome. First there was swiping to get the unlock pad, now can't use fingerprint. Pretty soon everyone will dump screen locks and have wide-open phones anyone can get into. Congratulations on making Android less secure.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Huh?? What's that got to do with unlocking?
Thank you Google for making the fingerprint reader useless. You keep making getting into the phone more and more cumbersome. First there was swiping to get the unlock pad, now can't use fingerprint. Pretty soon everyone will dump screen locks and have wide-open phones anyone can get into. Congratulations on making Android less secure.
Using a third party locker liks a screen lock app or Tasker, is considered unsecure, since that's how ransomware can affect you, or get your fingerprint data. Hence fingerprint is disabled for instances where a third party is used to lock the screen.

Joe Beanfish

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm not using a 3rd party locker. Only a 3rd party activation of the standard locker. If the API for activating lock gives access to credentials that's an API that's so far beyond broken....

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm not using a 3rd party locker. Only a 3rd party activation of the standard locker. If the API for activating lock gives access to credentials that's an API that's so far beyond broken....
That still counts. Basically, you can't use a third party to activate the lock anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos