Slow Motion video question.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi, here's a question for anyone who uses slow motion video on the S7/S7e.

How is it at tracking fast moving objects.

Tommorrow the Flying Scotsman train is due to make a visit through were I am. I was going to set my video camera and my phone up on tripods to record video and shoot handheld with my DSLR. I won't bother with the phone if it's not likely to track fast enough.

Has anyone tried it in a similar situation.

Last edited:

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Slow Motrin video question.

If you use a slow motion setting all you'll accomplish is a video of a train that looks slower.

If you want your images to show speed the basic technique is to pan the train. Use a lower ISO setting and an aperture that keeps the shutter fairly slow. It helps to use a tripod that lets you pan to keep the train perfectly clear.

Another way is to keep the camera steady and let the train blur. This gives the impression of speed but you won't see the train well.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I plan on editing the slow motion video into the normal footage taken. Hopefully get some nice steam discharge as it comes around the bend. Both video cameras will be locked down as I will be shooting stills handheld. Shooting the stills has never been a problem with other steam trains but I've never used the S7 to video in that situation.
The train will be coming towards me so I'm not dure how the S7 will behave. Might go out tonight and try it with some normal trains and see how it is.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It should handle it fine. I find the video great ton my s7 edge. You could put it in 1080p 60fps mode. That will give you good video and you can slow it down to half speed just fine.

Posted via S7 edge 😍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox