Cell standby intense battery drain HELP

Killer BIGxyz

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, i had this phone since launch and its been about 2 weeks of me suffering from cell stanby drain. Im currently at 46% 😧 plz help im new to Android

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 71553.jpg
    71553.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 344

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
16hrs, 59% battery used. That's not intense stanby drain. You just have nothing else using the battery that much. Nothing else is running, hence that's the highest battery usage. Play a game for an hour then you'll see cell standby decrease to be replaced by screen.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My S6 did the same thing, excessive cell standby drain. When wifi calling was available for my S6 the cell standby dropped to around 2%. No more problem. Even tho I live in a medium signal area it was using more power to stay connected apparently. How's your signal there?

Bananahammock9

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I've had my galaxy grand prime for just over 1 year now and it started draining with cell standby as a major culprit over the last 2 weeks. I've struggled to get it to 50% with the phone off and charging all night. I just got a new battery and it is having the exact same issue, so it isn't the battery. Was there an update that may have caused this??? Could someone answer without saying it isn't the standby issue? I've had it a year and standby has never taken up this much power.:-

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont listen to these people you have a problem. Turn off wifi calling, advanced calling, volte and whatever extra calling features your carrier has on your phone. Also not sure if you havr this feature but i can recieve calls and text on verizon with my S7E while on airplane mode. Texts come thru but you need wifi calling on to recieve calls while on airplane mode. Airplane mode saves my battery a ton due to poor service. My battery drains 2 percent a night, and i get atleast 7 hours SOT

Posted via Nexus 6P

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Lol not really, this is when i was charging it. My battery is at 20% by 6pm everyday

20% down since i unplugged at 8:20am

Also dont you think 3200mah used by this isnt excessive? The phones battery is 3600...
Wait, so it's actually 80% in 10hrs? Ok that's not normal.

And yes 3200mah is a bit high.

Get GSAM battery monitor, full charge the phone and let it cycle that way a couple of times then post the results.

Do you have mobile data on? I live in a medium signal area, so I get about 0.6-0.8% drain per hour with data off, jumps to 3-4% per hour with data left on (I have a lot of apps allowed to sync in background, as well as automation apps for macro actions). How is your phone set up? And what's the screen up time?

jmunchies1

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I also experience intense battery drain every two to three days on Verizon from Cell Standby. Only way to get it to stop is to reboot the phone.

I live in a full coverage area and it doesn't occur due to losing coverage or being in a weak signal area.

I notice that when the drain is happening, the 4G icon will flash every 5-6 seconds for one second, regardless of signal strength. So something is causing it other than actual coverage.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I see this same issue occasionally, and I did again just a couple days ago.

In my case it was about 60% of the battery in about 4 hours. Same routine as every other day. Same home, same work, same commute - so I wasn't in a cellular dead-zone on that day anymore than I was the day before or the day after.

I reboot the phone (and, obviously, recharge the battery) and the problem "fixes" itself.

Killer BIGxyz

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Guys, i was searching this same problem last night to see if others had it, and turns out they did. To those who asked i turned off volte, wifi calling, google services(auto syncs) and it was no help. When i was searching for solutions in other forums, i saw a comment someone said. He said to let the battery drain to 10% so that it can "recalibrate" so i tried it and now my cell stanby is at a mere 5% 😀. At tgis time yesterday my battery was at about 10% and now it's at 30% with about the same use. Im going to do this again tonight to see if its even better! Good luck guys

Posted via the Android Central App

brianinOmaha

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Mine does exactly the same thing. I'm on wifi all day as I work from home. Reboot it and cell standby stops. This all started after Verizon sent the last OS update 6.0.1

kmn3686

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I got my S7 in April. The battery has been rock solid, I mean amazing. I went away 3 weeks ago to Lake Tahoe. Not the best cell reception for a few reason... tower coverage and when it gets heavily populated, especially on the weekends cell towers are getting hit.

Anyhow - its odd, since I have returned my battery is getting drained much faster and I am seeing Cell stand by as main culprit. . Also, there are a few dead spots near my house if you have verizon. I never get signal. Since returning now get 4g in those dead spots. I know Verizon has not increased cell coverage as my wife is using note 4 and she still gets no signal, likewise with friends using Verizon. It might sound odd, but its as if the week in Lake Tahoe where phone struggled for signal has tweaked my phone. It sucks... my battery would get me a full day and half on full charge before my trip now I am not getting through the day.

Might be time to wipe the phone and rebuild

jdesai61

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact problem with my S7 Edge on AT&T. Since the last SW update from ATT a week or two ago, Cell Standby consumes excessive battery and 4G icon flashes every few seconds even when I am connected to WiFi. Clearing the cache (Power, Home and Volume+, reboot...) helped for a day, but then same battery drain resumed the next day.

davecor

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Exact same issue on my Galaxy S5. Phone drain started after a trip to Sacramento with areas of low signal. Now the excessive drain begins as soon as my phone is in the bedroom and the increased drain is evident on the battery usage graph. A similar problem occurred in the past and did not correct until the operating system was upgraded. Still no solution to this problem.