Cracked Screen after 1 Week

ap16

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi there. New here.

Got my brand new S7 Edge exactly 8 days ago now, was very happy with it. Was using it for music at the gym when it suddenly fell off the treadmill and the screen cracked on the left side causing the entire screen to not function properly at all.

Had tempered glass installed on it, the tempered glass didn't break completely but the screen itself took a big hit.
I do have insurance through my bank but my new phone isn't registered on the account yet, hopefully they let me claim my new phone. I guess I've learned my lession, can never be too careful (I thought the tempered glass would be enough).

Having learned my lession, for my replacement phone (hopefully I get it), what type of protection would you recommend?

I am going to invest in direct insurance from my phone provider (EE). Which phone case would you recommend? I need something that will save the phone from drops etc, I really don't want to go through this again (feel bad as it is).

Also, how would you recomend I transfer to the new device? (I used Smart Switch previously). Is there any better way?

Thanks in advance.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That sucks :( I had a phone on which the screen cracked and the screen protector took no damage. It was weird. If you activated the automatic backup stuff during setup, when you set up the new phone it should let you back up directly from it.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
The edge is a nightmare for drops. The edge itself is a pressure point so even 'right' drops can cause severe damage.

In regards to cases I've trusted Spigen with my last few phones. I work in engineering so I opt for the tough armor and it's saved my S5 multiple times in the past.

ap16

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
That sucks :( I had a phone on which the screen cracked and the screen protector took no damage. It was weird. If you activated the automatic backup stuff during setup, when you set up the new phone it should let you back up directly from it.

Thanks, waiting to hear back from insurance hopefully it goes well.

The edge is a nightmare for drops. The edge itself is a pressure point so even 'right' drops can cause severe damage.

In regards to cases I've trusted Spigen with my last few phones. I work in engineering so I opt for the tough armor and it's saved my S5 multiple times in the past.

Thanks, looking at their S7 edge cases, which one would you recommend? Tough Armor, Slim Armor or Rugged Armor?
I'm not sure what exactly the differences are.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, looking at their S7 edge cases, which one would you recommend? Tough Armor, Slim Armor or Rugged Armor?

I have the tough armor. It's the bulkiest one they do but it's still comfortable to hold. Personally think it looks the nicest and it feels solid

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

I have the Rugged Armor because I love the carbon fiber look. I've dropped my Edge so dang much because, it's a theory, I'm trying to be careful with it and the Rugged Armor has saved my tail every time.

I also am very partial to Urban Armor Gear. I have the clear and the sheer blue.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the Rugged Armor because I love the carbon fiber look. I've dropped my Edge so dang much because, it's a theory, I'm trying to be careful with it and the Rugged Armor has saved my tail every time.

I also am very partial to Urban Armor Gear. I have the clear and the sheer blue.

dude but the rugged armor doesn't place nice with tempered screen guards

Andrew Read1

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi I also cracked my screen due to dropping the phone and I was able to claim through my bank insurance with nationwide and it only cost me £25, I also spoke to samsung UK to ensure that it would invalidate my warranty and they said all would be fine.

Posted via the Android Central App

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
dude but the rugged armor doesn't place nice with tempered screen guards

I'm naked. I hate to spend money on something that is going to lift or affect screen sensitivity. My insurance has this beautiful thing covered.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Phone is extremely fragile. I too shattered my screen from a small drop. It was covered by tech 21 case. The phone flew out of the case.