Purchase Procrastination

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've procrastinated upgrading my S4 to the S7 Edge since it first came out. Should I now wait for the next version or buy the Edge?

anon(8709382)

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
If your current phone is working for what you need, then wait. If not, get a new phone. You will be waiting awhile for the next release though.

Posted with my S7 edge via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The next version won't be out until next spring. Do you want to wait until then? Does the S7 offer significant advantages over your current phone or not?

There will always be a "next" phone to wait for. But if you're current phone is working fine, you might want to wait and see if prices on the current one drop over the next few months.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If you procastinate now, and wait for the next great one, you can get the Note 7 maybe this September or October. But then the Nexus will be out December. But by that time, the S8 is nearly out, coming March 2017. And then we repeat. You won't be able to get a new one.

Basically do you want a new phone? Do you want it now? Then get the best one you can. Although personally, if you're the type to worry, get an S series right after the Note comes since the prices would free fall a bit.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I say get it now otherwise you're going to constantly wait for a new phone to come out and a new phone will always come out. You'll be stuck in an endless loop

Posted via the Android Central App

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice. My phone does work but is quirky. I have seen rumors about an S7 Edge Plus, but who knows. Also, the unlocked version is out. Think it's time to bite the bullet. :)

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all of the advice. My phone does work but is quirky. I have seen rumors about an S7 Edge Plus, but who knows. Also, the unlocked version is out. Think it's time to bite the bullet. :)

Go with the unlocked version. I picked one up at Best Buy yesterday and got a $75 Best Buy gift card along with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
At first I procrastinated because I thought the Note 4 offered little more than my note 3. I don't care about fingerprint id nor a better screen and I already paid for the note 3 wireless charging back.

Then the Note 5 came out without ir blaster and sd card so I decided I liked the Note 3 better.

I loved the looks of the s6 edge plus but still no ir blaster. Decided to wait.

By the time the s7edge came out I had enough chances to play with s6 edge plus that I knew, gorgeous looks aside, the curved edges made it harder for me to use the phone. I was also a little short on $ when it came out.

Now I realize I will never get another Samsung with ir blaster dammit.

I think I am ready for the Note 7. It's hard for me to change as long as my Note 3 works well. All the phones since mine add features but none of the features meant as much to me as ir blaster. Still, the extra ram, WAY better camera, and the bigger battery are attractive features. I can turn off the edge functions and get a case that covers the edges. The Note 7 may be the one to end my procrastination.... But if LG ever makes a great phone that HAS the ir blaster I might just jump ship from Samsung. From what I've read the G5 is not that phone.

If you make the move be sure to come back and let fellow procrastinators know what you think of your new Samsung!

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

I think I am ready for the Note 7. It's hard for me to change as long as my Note 3 works well. All the phones since mine add features but none of the features meant as much to me as ir blaster. Still, the extra ram, WAY better camera, and the bigger battery are attractive features. I can turn off the edge functions and get a case that covers the edges. The Note 7 may be the one to end my procrastination.... But if LG ever makes a great phone that HAS the ir blaster I might just jump ship from Samsung. From what I've read the G5 is not that phone.

If you make the move be sure to come back and let fellow procrastinators know what you think of your new Samsung!

I think the note 3 was samsungs best phone, i loved that phone. Obviously s7 is naturally a better phone nowadays but the note 3 was special for its time. I got the LG G4 after i sold my note 3 and regretted it, I found the LG software updates to be poor, one update would slow the phone down then the next one to try and fixed it but hurt battery life, they just seemed to be going round in circles fixing one thing but then breaking another. Samsung updates seem more consistent.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Kudos to you for holding off so many temptations.

Posted via Android Central App
None deserved. I stupidly hoped ir blaster would be added back. I also HATE setting up a new phone. I have lots and lots of apps and will need to redo settings for every one. One thing I miss about root is the ability to save and transfer app data. Like Nova saves my homescreens but leaves blanks where widgets were. Each must be set up from scratch. I'm fussy and have no patience so it is agony.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
At first I procrastinated because I thought the Note 4 offered little more than my note 3. I don't care about fingerprint id nor a better screen and I already paid for the note 3 wireless charging back.

Then the Note 5 came out without ir blaster and sd card so I decided I liked the Note 3 better.

I loved the looks of the s6 edge plus but still no ir blaster. Decided to wait.

By the time the s7edge came out I had enough chances to play with s6 edge plus that I knew, gorgeous looks aside, the curved edges made it harder for me to use the phone. I was also a little short on $ when it came out.

Very detailed summary. Will be back if I make the move.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
None deserved. I stupidly hoped ir blaster would be added back. I also HATE setting up a new phone. I have lots and lots of apps and will need to redo settings for every one. One thing I miss about root is the ability to save and transfer app data. Like Nova saves my homescreens but leaves blanks where widgets were. Each must be set up from scratch. I'm fussy and have no patience so it is agony.
Just use SmartSwitch and Helium combo. Most of the work will be done.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Google will download all the apps. Nova will restore desktops. Which of those will restore all the settings and passwords of every app?
SmartSwitch backs the apps up that you don't need to redownload them. Smartswitch is also supposed to back up your other settings.

Helium backs up app data, like game saves and other settings inside. However not all apps support full backup without root.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
SmartSwitch backs the apps up that you don't need to redownload them. Smartswitch is also supposed to back up your other settings.

Helium backs up app data, like game saves and other settings inside. However not all apps support full backup without root.
All I care about is app settings and widget settings and without root the ones I care about are not transferred. Why use Smart Switch when Google remembers and transfers all apps and contacts? In fact if you transfer contacts in Smart Switch you end up with double contacts in google. Did it once. Had to delete every one of them.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
All I care about is app settings and widget settings and without root the ones I care about are not transferred. Why use Smart Switch when Google remembers and transfers all apps and contacts? In fact if you transfer contacts in Smart Switch you end up with double contacts in google. Did it once. Had to delete every one of them.
You can choose to not enable contact backup on SmartSwitch. The good thing about SmartSwitch is its faster in reinstalling the apps because it doesn't need to redownload every single one of them. Basically that's the only thing you want on SmartSwitch anyway.

I'd think the contacts bit was pretty obvious that it was going to happen that way. You were going to restore the same things from two different sources from two different methods. Obviously a double contact will happen. Well technically not double since one set is saved locally to phone memory and the other on sync memory.

Google backup on the other hand also will not actually restore your photos onto your phone. You have them on the cloud yes, but they will not be restored into the same folder structure you had on your previous phone. SmartSwitch will. Same goes for music files and videos.

Google will also not restore your call logs, alarms, S health data, and your settings (which apps have background data toggled off, etc).

Personally I use all 3 (Google, SmartSwitch and Helium) together to cover for each of their shortcomings.

And I already mentioned that Helium does backup some app settings, provided the app allows it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie