Cant copy or move files from phone via USB times out or error with attached device? sd or internal?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Anyone having issues transferring pics or files off the s7 edge 32gb? Mine will say copying but time out, or ill get the error with attached device message on move or copy.. doesnt seem to matter which location, either internal memory or the sd card (while still in phone).

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you're trying to copy to a Mac using Android file transfer, but to put it simply, it just doesn't work. They haven't updated the app and it's basically worthless for transferring files from an android device.
That being said, use an SD card adapter to transfer music or picture files. It works perfectly.

Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if you're trying to copy to a Mac using Android file transfer, but to put it simply, it just doesn't work. They haven't updated the app and it's basically worthless for transferring files from an android device.
That being said, use an SD card adapter to transfer music or picture files. It works perfectly.

I was using a usb cable to windows 10... turned out it was the cable.. a 10 foot monoprice.. switched to a 3 foot one and it worked fine. Its too much of a pain to try to remove that sd card every time though or i would do it that way.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
You guys are lucky. Mac people just have to bite the bullet I guess.😵
Edit : With the introduction of Smart Switch, everything is roses. 🌹

Last edited:

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Because Apple doesn't want you to use anything none Apple. It's the price you pay for diverging from Windows or Linux.
In fact, it's a problem with Android, not Apple. When I had an S3, the Android file transfer app worked perfectly. However, the app has not been updated in years. With my S5 I could get it to work sporadically. Now, however, it's a lost cause.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
In fact, it's a problem with Android, not Apple. When I had an S3, the Android file transfer app worked perfectly. However, the app has not been updated in years. With my S5 I could get it to work sporadically. Now, however, it's a lost cause.

As I said. It's a problem with Apple. Linux and Windows doesn't need an app or program at all. The very fact that you need a bridge to interact at all is an Apple problem.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
As I said. It's a problem with Apple. Linux and Windows doesn't need an app or program at all. The very fact that you need a bridge to interact at all is an Apple problem.
I don't want to argue with you. There are many people who have Apple computers and Android phones. I thought the OP may have been one.
I don't see how your comments are helpful or have anything to do with the OP's original question. If you are trying to show off your "superior knowledge", please leave me out of it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to argue with you. There are many people who have Apple computers and Android phones. I thought the OP may have been one.
I don't see how your comments are helpful or have anything to do with the OP's original question. If you are trying to show off your "superior knowledge", please leave me out of it.

It's called sharing information. I don't know why you'd be irked by it.

Anyway. If you can use Airdroid (either a desktop program equivalent or web browser interface) on Macs, that would work as an alternative to ADB for you.

drewberg

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
"I don't know if you're trying to copy to a Mac using Android file transfer, but to put it simply, it just doesn't work. They haven't updated the app and it's basically worthless for transferring files from an android device.
That being said, use an SD card adapter to transfer music or picture files. It works perfectly."

I just got a Galaxy S7 yesterday, switching from iPhone, and this has been driving me nuts for hours. I've read (and tried) lots of suggestions to make my Mac talk to my phone with Android File Transfer but it just won't work. So you're saying that I'm wasting my time and it simply won't work until they update the app (or the OS)?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
"I don't know if you're trying to copy to a Mac using Android file transfer, but to put it simply, it just doesn't work. They haven't updated the app and it's basically worthless for transferring files from an android device.
That being said, use an SD card adapter to transfer music or picture files. It works perfectly."

I just got a Galaxy S7 yesterday, switching from iPhone, and this has been driving me nuts for hours. I've read (and tried) lots of suggestions to make my Mac talk to my phone with Android File Transfer but it just won't work. So you're saying that I'm wasting my time and it simply won't work until they update the app (or the OS)?
You could try a different program. Samsung has Sidesync which is supposed to be able to do it (never tried it on Mac). You can also look into Samsung SmartSwitch and Airdroid.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Don't mess around with Android File Transfer, it's a waste of time. Go online and download Smart Switch into your Mac. Follow the directions. I hope this will solve your problem.

Last edited:

drewberg

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but Smartswitch seems pretty useless except for switching all data from another phone or from an iTunes backup. You can't select individual file. It seems that the best way to do it is just get an SD card and use it to transfer any music etc that I want to move back and forth from the computer.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Back to what i stated earlier that may have got lost.. the only time i have the issue is with the 10 foot monoprice cable.. anyone else have issues with longer cables? The shorter white one that came with the phone doesnt seem to have the issue.. seems to be some usb feet limitation, which was never an issue before.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Yes it doesn't work on the Mac. I've had to resort to taking the SD card out and connecting it directly to the computer to transfer things.

Posted from my pink gold S7 edge