How to troubleshoot calendar syncing issues?

auu7uf9ypj

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
How to Troubleshoot calendar syncing issues

I have a great Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android 6.0.1 and I am really happy with it but I struggle to get my calendar sync to work. Maybe my perception of the architecture is all wrong. I have searched high and low but found no clue on how to troubleshoot. Please help. I want the phone to merge and show BOTH my work calendar and my private calendar(s). The work calendar should be available through an exchange account at work. That account is set up and the phone correctly fetches the mails and contracts but it does not get ALL of the calendar items My private calendars are in Google Calendar. That account should be set up correctly too. The device shows SOME of my Google Calendar items but not all.

I have at least 4 calendars apps/widgets on the phone: Samsung S Planner, Outlook, Google Calendar and Smooth Calendar Widget. The last one is configured to take its calendar items from the Google Calendar App. The three first have been granted access to "calendar". (No mention of what account it refers to, but it shows both).

Oh BTW, it seems that "Outlook for Android" has its own account. It actually seems that Outlook displays some of the calendar items that do not show up in S-planner.

What is going on? Are the various Calendar apps and two Exchange accounts stealing calendar items from each other so that Exchange thinks that a calendar item has been sync'ed when - in fact - it has only been sync'ed with one of the apps? I do not understand the architecture and I cannot find any troubleshooting tools in the telephone or on the net. The "Accounts" page on the telephone reports that everything is syncing as it should.

I have similar problems with my Contacts sync where there is a third @outlook.com account involved but let us focus on one thing for now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to Troubleshoot calendar syncing issues

Mod Note, I will move this to the s7 edge forum for more visibility

auu7uf9ypj

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Re: How to Troubleshoot calendar syncing issues

Thanks, it is probably good for visibility although I believe the question relates to the android operating system rather than to any specific device running it. So far no one has dared to propose an answer. Here is my perception of what is going on inside the operating system. Maybe someone can tell me if it is right or wrong?

• The apps themselves do not connect directly to internet services such as google calender
  • Rather, the operating system has a layer that is in charge of synchronizing calendar events, mails, contact items etc. with various online services.
  • Only this layer has access to account login information.
  • This layer makes the calendar events etc. available to the applications through some API coupled with info on where they come from (and where any local update should be sent to for two-way synchronization).
  • Calendar widgets get their information from apps, not from the layer that synchronizes events.

I am an engineer. Maybe that is why I am trying to understand the technical details rather than ask for a quick-fix. But telephone apps seem to make a big deed out of hiding any technical info away that could be used for troubleshooting. Is everyone else just using trial-and-error? Right now I see only one other possibility: Restore the device to factory condition, and then install accounts and apps one at a time until the problem reappears.

Last edited: