My Galaxy S7 Edge won't charge because of "moisture detected" after 4 days.

catu

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

4 days ago I went to an aquarium, I took a couple pictures of some starfish in a shallow pool, i put my phone around 4 inches under water for about 15 seconds. That same day I tried to charge with no luck, it's been 4 days and I still can't charge my phone because the "moisture detected" warning appear. I tried this:

-If the phone is wet, wipe it with a smooth cloth and then shake it with the charging port facing down to remove any excess water inside the USB port.
-Don’t blow air into the charging port as the water or moisture may further go inside the device.
-Take a hair dryer and blow warm air for a couple of minutes. Make sure you don’t overheat your device with hot air.
-Now, take a dry piece of cloth any try wiping any possible moisture left in the USB port.
-Finally, reboot your device and plug it into the charging port. You should now able to charge the device normally.

After all that I still can't charge, I have to wireless charge which is annoying. What's the point of having a waterproof device if it I wont be able to charge it for many days?

Besides that problem, now every once in a while a black screen appears with a white "X" on one corner, I believe this is the Oculus screen. The phone thinks it was connected to Oculus sometimes when I try to charge my phone. Please help.

Thanks!

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The phone is water resistant not water proof! There is a difference. I like to think of it as an insurance policy against accidental water contact but I am not going to intentionally dunk my phone for a random pic. Not saying that you can't do so...to each their own. Just my thoughts. Back on topic...try the rice trick! Also, put the bowl of rice with phone inside a vehicle on a sunny day. That should dry it up!

eewwyeah

May 13, 2013
Visit site
took mine off the wireless charger this morning (after placing it there before bed) and it was only at 70%. I then hooked it up to the wired fast charger and I got the "moisture detected" warning. The phone had been nowhere near water. Tried on two other wired chargers and received the same notification...again, nowhere near water.

While driving to work, and the phone sitting on the center console nowhere near any type of charger, I received a pop-up that said the charger I am attempting to use is incompatible. Again, no charger was near the phone.

I just tried connecting to a wired charger and I am still getting the moisture warning...3hrs later.

Any ideas?

thanks

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
took mine off the wireless charger this morning (after placing it there before bed) and it was only at 70%. I then hooked it up to the wired fast charger and I got the "moisture detected" warning. The phone had been nowhere near water. Tried on two other wired chargers and received the same notification...again, nowhere near water.

While driving to work, and the phone sitting on the center console nowhere near any type of charger, I received a pop-up that said the charger I am attempting to use is incompatible. Again, no charger was near the phone.

I just tried connecting to a wired charger and I am still getting the moisture warning...3hrs later.

Any ideas?

thanks
RICE RICE RICE. do the rice trick.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem and after weeks of waiting, including 3 days in a bag of rice I still would get the error. I eventually figured out that for some reason ONE of my chargers would work. Which led me to believe that it wasn't really moisture related, but having more to do with oxidation or build up on the USB port after it dried.

I got some plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and a soft bristle brush. I cleaned and scrubbed the USB port and have not had the error since.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I get this consistently with one of my chargers but never with any others. I went through all of the drying procedures with that charger to no avail so I just stopped trying to use it. (It's a Samsung stand charger so there isn't a cable to swap)

Daggg8

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem and after weeks of waiting, including 3 days in a bag of rice I still would get the error. I eventually figured out that for some reason ONE of my chargers would work. Which led me to believe that it wasn't really moisture related, but having more to do with oxidation or build up on the USB port after it dried.

I got some plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and a soft bristle brush. I cleaned and scrubbed the USB port and have not had the error since.

Could you let us know what solution you used to clean your device and/or USB cable?

CLOVDY

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
SOLUTION:

For anyone experiencing the "Moisture Detected" error message on your Samsung devices, please follow these steps to fix the issue. I have the S7, and have been dealing with this problem for the past week with no resolution. Until today. I went to the store and bought Isopropil Alcocol 91%, cotton cue tips, a safety pin, and a hair dryer.

STEPS:
1. Turn off your decice completely
2. pinch out the tip of the cue tip to make a flat sliver of cotton to fit into the charging port
3. dunk the cue tip into the alcohol
4. swab thoroughly inside the charging port with a generous amount of alcohol (do not be afraid to soak it, as it will not cause further damage)
5. Repeat steps 2-4 about 3 times to get a thorough clean as the alcohol will help break away any buildup
6. stand your phone upsidedown (charging port facing upward) and use your hair dryer at the hottest and fastest setting pointed directly into the charging port about 2-3 inches away for 1 minute. Repeat 2x
7. Once your port is dry, take your safety pin and carefully begin to scratch the back of the charging port, as this is where the buildup is. Pretend you are scratching off a sticker
8. Once you remove any residue, Turn on your device and connect charger cable
9. Viola! Your phone is now fixed!

I hope this method works for everyone, take care!

tizzims edd

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
this happened to mine last night the moisture detector message came on and knew the phone wasnt near any source of water or anything that could cause it, so i used hair dryer on low then i thought of was a bag of rice with charger lead also put it, then after a worried night id thought il try it with another cable, nope same problem so i went through settings and see if i could reset it and seen usb settings and cleared all stored memory and forced stop then rebooted phone and plugged in cable and it works now thankfully.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
this happened to mine last night the moisture detector message came on and knew the phone wasnt near any source of water or anything that could cause it, so i used hair dryer on low then i thought of was a bag of rice with charger lead also put it, then after a worried night id thought il try it with another cable, nope same problem so i went through settings and see if i could reset it and seen usb settings and cleared all stored memory and forced stop then rebooted phone and plugged in cable and it works now thankfully.
My wife just started having this issue on her's. Tried the cleaning tip to no avail. I then followed your suggestion with moderate success. Go into the app manager, then select to view system apps, scroll down to the "USB Settings" app and select it. Cleared the data and rebooted the phone.

Except now, fast charging isn't working. Ampere was reading just a trickle of current going in, so I swapped to a brand new cable. Now Ampere was averaging above 900mA, which is a drastic improvement, but still not getting a fast charge indication. Any suggestions now on how to address that?