Help: Have I just been sold ANOTHER fake wireless charger?

randomgecko

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
So after being duped on eBay for the regular chargers and being presented with fakes, I ordered this from a dealer that apparently sells official products.

After some googling, it appears it may be another fake - at least visually - however, it does charge my phone using fast wireless charging and I thought the fakes didn't do that? I attached a pic using the regular charger as well as the fast charge pad.

Attachments

• 20160820_170342.jpg
    20160820_170342.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 44

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Based on what you've posted, I don't see any reason to specifically doubt that the product is anything other than what it purports to be. You're not sure if it is a legit Samsung product. I don't know of any way to be sure without breaking the unit open and checking the components. But if it works, and there is no particular reason to question it, I'd suggest that you just revel in the knowledge that you likely got a good one. You ordered it from a trusted Samsung dealer. So trust them until you have reason not to trust them.

Regarding your comment about not hearing a fan, I don't believe that there is a fan inside the charging puck. There are typically no moving parts in those things, so I suspect that the vents you see on the bottom are for cooling by convection, if not solely for aesthetics.

randomgecko

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Based on what you've posted, I don't see any reason to specifically doubt that the product is anything other than what it purports to be. You're not sure if it is a legit Samsung product. I don't know of any way to be sure without breaking the unit open and checking the components. But if it works, and there is no particular reason to question it, I'd suggest that you just revel in the knowledge that you likely got a good one. You ordered it from a trusted Samsung dealer. So trust them until you have reason not to trust them.

Regarding your comment about not hearing a fan, I don't believe that there is a fan inside the charging puck. There are typically no moving parts in those things, so I suspect that the vents you see on the bottom are for cooling by convection, if not solely for aesthetics.

I thought they had a fan. Also, I woke this morning and it hadn't turned green to indicate full charge. They normally do right?

randomgecko

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Ok I was wrong about that, it does light up green. Is it supposed to stay green until you take it off or will it go back to blue if the charge drops?

Also, mine only has a single LED dead centre to the logo, not two LEDs either side of it. Maybe I have a new version?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected. Apparently this puck has a fan -- almost but not quite silent. It's supposed to come on when the device is fast charging. The standard charger that this replaced did not have the fan.

From the user manual: "The fan inside the wireless charger operates during fast wireless charging. The fan will not operate when this feature is deactivated on your mobile device." page 5 of the English version.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hold a piece of tissue paper up against the vents in the charger, then put the phone down (in fast charging mode. If there's a fan, you should be able to see the tissue move, at least a little bit.

randomgecko

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Ok so there doesn't appear to be a fan and moreover, I woke up at 4am this morning after my phone had been on the fast charging pad for over 3 hours and it was only at 67%. Doesn't seem right...

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It looks like you had the right charger and had Adaptive Fast Charging enabled when you shot the first photos showing the phone fast charging. What changed?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you buy it from a legit source? Sometimes going around to random 3rd parties to save a few bucks isn't worth the hassle. I would buy from places like Amazon and call it a day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood