S7 edge battery drain, please help

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7 edge, and I really like the phone, but I got it because it was supposed to have amazing battery life. I got the phone, and get about 17 hours on battery (not bad) but with 3 hours of screen on time, I thought I was supposed to get 6+ hours? I have tried everything, clearing system cache, factory reset, turned off all the extra features that use the sensors, I even downloaded greenify and use doze on the go too. I just don't know what else to do. GSAM battery app indicates that my wifi is taking nearly 50% of my battery...but I don't know what to do about a wifi battery drain. I do text, snapchat, and groupme a ton throughout the day, but again, 3 hours of screen on time. I also lose about 4% per hour on standby, someone please help.

Screen shots with battery info is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72FMLAM5VX9cWRzQjh1anR6eFE

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7 edge, and I really like the phone, but I got it because it was supposed to have amazing battery life. I got the phone, and get about 17 hours on battery (not bad) but with 3 hours of screen on time, I thought I was supposed to get 6+ hours? I have tried everything, clearing system cache, factory reset, turned off all the extra features that use the sensors, I even downloaded greenify and use doze on the go too. I just don't know what else to do. GSAM battery app indicates that my wifi is taking nearly 50% of my battery...but I don't know what to do about a wifi battery drain. I do text, snapchat, and groupme a ton throughout the day, but again, 3 hours of screen on time. I also lose about 4% per hour on standby, someone please help.

Screen shots with battery info is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B72FMLAM5VX9cWRzQjh1anR6eFE
I agree. I have the s7 edge and the first 2 weeks I had it i got close to 4 hrs screen on time and now with my gear s2 connected to it and tons of features turned off I only get 2hrs 2 and a half hrs screen on time. Android system is my biggest battery eater. Now I quit using my gear s2 and now I can get 3 hrs screen on time but nothing much more. People say they get 5-7 hrs screen on time and it's hard to believe. I have the Verizon s7 edge with the Snapdragon processor.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1 get over 4hrs screen time and over 17hrs standby time.

I suggest you guys clear system cache via the recovery menu. Sounds like some junk files were retained and still running.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
1 get over 4hrs screen time and over 17hrs standby time.

I suggest you guys clear system cache via the recovery menu. Sounds like some junk files were retained and still running.

I always wipe my cache. About once a week. I even did the factory boot and wiped system cache by holding the volume up button and home button. Yesterday I got 3hrs screen on time. (No gear s2) Once I connect my gear s2 I'll get around 2-2.5hrs screen on time. I always thought a watch would help save battery because it wouldn't require turning on your screen to check your phone all the time. Always clear my recent apps. Also have tons of toggles and bloat ware apps disabled. Been using Samsung since the s4 and worked for Samsung inside bestbuy. None of this stuff is new, is it just the Qualcomm version that has issues? Ik the exynos Samsung processor people report 6-7 hrs screen on time. That's insane and I've never had a smartphone do that. I don't even have Facebook! Which is a huge battery eater.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well I do have the Exynos version, I Facebook quite a bit, and is connected online via WiFi or mobile internet for the better part of the day.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Well I do have the Exynos version, I Facebook quite a bit, and is connected online via WiFi or mobile internet for the better part of the day.
Wow, my wifi is set to the keep wifi on during sleep. Since it's supposed to save power and I still only get the battery life I stated above.
I always wipe my cache. About once a week. I even did the factory boot and wiped system cache by holding the volume up button and home button. Yesterday I got 3hrs screen on time. (No gear s2) Once I connect my gear s2 I'll get around 2-2.5hrs screen on time. I always thought a watch would help save battery because it wouldn't require turning on your screen to check your phone all the time. Always clear my recent apps. Also have tons of toggles and bloat ware apps disabled. Been using Samsung since the s4 and worked for Samsung inside bestbuy. None of this stuff is new, is it just the Qualcomm version that has issues? Ik the exynos Samsung processor people report 6-7 hrs screen on time. That's insane and I've never had a smartphone do that. I don't even have Facebook! Which is a huge battery eater.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I found having keep wifi on during sleep was what was causing most of my battery drain. Android system was using anywhere from 30-50% of my battery. As soon as I turned "keep wifi on during sleep" off it has gone down to a more reasonable 10-15%.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
6d1b1d7a8caeaec2f7d4f8607b3165c6.jpg

1hr 55 mins screen on time.....

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay I will post my stats tmrw.
I as well am having the same issue as you are. Android System is at the top of my stats every day. I wipe cache over three times a week which does absolutely nothing and I am getting 2.5-3 hours SOT. I have the snapdragon processor on AT&T. I wouldn't even consider myself a power user, It is on standby most of the day during my work hours. I use Google play in the mornings at the gym which is a huge battery eater, Bluetooth headphones as well. I have a zenwatch 2 that doesn't really seem to affect my battery life, although I haven't tested it enough to say so.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I as well am having the same issue as you are. Android System is at the top of my stats every day. I wipe cache over three times a week which does absolutely nothing and I am getting 2.5-3 hours SOT. I have the snapdragon processor on AT&T. I wouldn't even consider myself a power user, It is on standby most of the day during my work hours. I use Google play in the mornings at the gym which is a huge battery eater, Bluetooth headphones as well. I have a zenwatch 2 that doesn't really seem to affect my battery life, although I haven't tested it enough to say so.
Idk what it is, but I hate to say my rooted note 3 back in 2013 would outlast this phone easily. I'd pull out 2 days with it. I mean I hear praise about the Samsung exynos processor and I haven't had anything against Qualcomm. But my phone gets hot just after using it for about 5 mins straight with the brightness set to auto. Paying 792 bucks for a smartphone it should be rather good I would think since this is Samsungs flagship.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Where it says apps 62%, what apps are in there?

Im not sure whats running on your phone but Im at 73% right now with 2 hours screen on time. This is my 2nd S7 edge and both of them average 7 hours with bluetooth off.

b1683f6bf35a31ec63025b937c24b479.jpg

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Wow that is crazy! Okay at the end of today I'll give both. But I remember the top was android system and then android OS. there is no way I could have 73 percent at the end of the day with 2 hrs screen on time. That is awesome for you though!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Wow that is crazy! Okay at the end of today I'll give both. But I remember the top was android system and then android OS. there is no way I could have 73 percent at the end of the day with 2 hrs screen on time. That is awesome for you though!

So you know, Im not trying to brag about my battery compared to yours. Just letting you know it is possible to get great life out of this phone, just gotta figure out whats causing yours to go nuts. I turn alot of stuff off because I dont use it so I'll give you an idea of my settings and see how they compare to yours. Remember, I dont use the stuff I turn off so some of these may not suit your needs. These are the settings that should make the most difference.

Display:
I use AMOLED cinema mode for screen mode, auto brightness, timeout after 30 seconds, smart stay off, always on display on only at night normally while on the charger, touch key light 6 seconds, keep screen turned off toggle off, screensaver off.

Advanced Features:
I turned off all the sensor related gestures in the adavnced features tab. pop up view, smart capture, palm to swipe etc etc. I dont like any of them.

Privacy and Safety:
I only use location when I need it but even with it on I still get over 6 1/2 hours screen on time. Report diagnostics off

Google:
Nearby off, search & now > voice> "ok google" detection from the google app and from any screen toggles on. Trusted voice off.

NFC is also off because I use Samsung pay instead of Android pay. Im not sure how much NFC affects the battery.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
So you know, Im not trying to brag about my battery compared to yours. Just letting you know it is possible to get great life out of this phone, just gotta figure out whats causing yours to go nuts. I turn alot of stuff off because I dont use it so I'll give you an idea of my settings and see how they compare to yours. Remember, I dont use the stuff I turn off so some of these may not suit your needs. These are the settings that should make the most difference.

Display:
I use AMOLED cinema mode for screen mode, auto brightness, timeout after 30 seconds, smart stay off, always on display on only at night normally while on the charger, touch key light 6 seconds, keep screen turned off toggle off, screensaver off.

Advanced Features:
I turned off all the sensor related gestures in the adavnced features tab. pop up view, smart capture, palm to swipe etc etc. I dont like any of them.

Privacy and Safety:
I only use location when I need it but even with it on I still get over 6 1/2 hours screen on time. Report diagnostics off

Google:
Nearby off, search & now > voice> "ok google" detection from the google app and from any screen toggles on. Trusted voice off.

NFC is also off because I use Samsung pay instead of Android pay. Im not sure how much NFC affects the battery.

I'm getting my S7 edge today and would like to use Samsung pay. You don't have to keep NFC on to use it? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question I'm coming from an iPhone.