Updated Apps Saved on SD Leave SD Memory

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello, so I have moved all possible apps to my SD card. When an app (any app saved to the SD card) updates, it leaves the SD card memory and I have to put it back on my SD card.

Is this normal? More importantly, is there a way to change something in my settings to avoid having to do this every time my apps update?

I'm using the S7 Edge with Verizon.

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like the previous reply states, this is normal. It's just how SD card access works on Android now (unless you have Adoptable Storage). Apps can only be installed and updated in the internal memory. No way around that (unless you hack or have the aforementioned). Now, even when you move apps to SD, you're not really moving the entire app: it's main file must and will always reside in internal memory. It's up to each dev to decide what, if anything, can be moved to SD Card (media, external downloads, save files, etc.).

But when you download an app, the installation process (installation package, file expansion and handling, actual app installation, etc.) will always happen in internal memory, so if the app isn't properly coded, when you update, the installer will 'recall' the app files form the SD card, do its thing, and be done with it, since it can only update/install in internal memory.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Like the previous reply states, this is normal. It's just how SD card access works on Android now (unless you have Adoptable Storage). Apps can only be installed and updated in the internal memory. No way around that (unless you hack or have the aforementioned). Now, even when you move apps to SD, you're not really moving the entire app: it's main file must and will always reside in internal memory. It's up to each dev to decide what, if anything, can be moved to SD Card (media, external downloads, save files, etc.).

But when you download an app, the installation process (installation package, file expansion and handling, actual app installation, etc.) will always happen in internal memory, so if the app isn't properly coded, when you update, the installer will 'recall' the app files form the SD card, do its thing, and be done with it, since it can only update/install in internal memory.
First I've heard of Adoptable Storage. Could you give me the shorthand?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
First I've heard of Adoptable Storage. Could you give me the shorthand?
It adopts the SD card as an extension of internal memory. Putting a 64GB card in the phone turns it into a full 96GB drive. This is disabled on Samsung phones though due to them wanting to avoid issues.

Adopting the SD card means it can't be used anymore on any other device. Even a PC can't read it via card reader. It will also affect performance in a way. Cards are slower than the onboard flash memory, and it will bottleneck the performance of the device. Cards also fail, which may cause additional problems if you use an old card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital