Altimeter Sensor

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There's no altitude sensor on the S7 Edge (or in any phone I've heard of, for that matter). I imagine the 'altitude' shown in Snapchat comes from GPS information, so make sure you have GPS enabled in your location, the app has access to your location, and you're within view of GPS satellites (this probably won't work too well inside buildings).

These are the sensors in the S7 Edge (From GSMArena):
Sensors Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No phone I have encountered has an alitude sensor. The altitude they detect come from the GPS, placing you in a particular area, and getting the altitude for that from available data in the internet/their own archive.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No phone I have encountered has an alitude sensor. The altitude they detect come from the GPS, placing you in a particular area, and getting the altitude for that from available data in the internet/their own archive.

That's only partially true. GPS uses satellite position data to calculate your altitude as well (granted, the altitude margin of error is a lot bigger than 'horizontal' error). It needs at least 4 satellites to be in line of sight for this, and the more satellites you can 'see', the better the approximation.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tried turning on the GPS still the filter isn't showing up

Might be a bug in the app, then. If you can get a good GPS lock in other apps (Maps, etc.) then the Snapchat app might not be getting said data. Also check the app's permissions to see if the Location one isn't being 'denied'.

cake876876

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea if s7 edge has a altitude sensor or not cause the snapchat altitude filter isn't showing up on??

The phone does have an altimeter in the form of a barometer, which indicates air pressure. Less pressure = Higher altitude.

This is not the problem though, as pointed out Snapchat uses GPS for this on iPhone. The problem is the Snapchat team don't introduce new updates to Android at the same time as on iOS. Effectivly Team SC develop on iOS for iOS and don't put in the resources to develop on Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance