I fancy this phone but is it too fragile?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

My current phone is a Nexus 6 and I love it and it is the best phone I have owned but as much as I love the big screen I also use it as my work diary and due to its size I sometimes leave it in the car, also when playing Netflix or using it as a sat nav it does get incredibly hot so for those reasons I fancy a change and as much as I did struggle with TW on my Note 2 I am hoping there isn't as much bloat on the S7 Edge.

The thing that bothers me is I have read on this forum quite a lot of posts where peoples screen or glass back have just cracked without being dropped I think it was after charging so maybe a heat thing but is this phone a bit too fragile and from what I read Samsung will do nothing about it and a crack on the glass back would bug me.

Also I have read about the recent two or three incidents where an S7 Edge battery has caught fire yet I have seen no statements from Samsung saying the S7 Edge battery is fine so I am just a bit wary of the phone but I know the size will be better than the Nexus and it will be easier to carry around in my pocket. Also the screen looks fab as I love Amoled screens.

I have the chance of a brand new unlocked S7 Edge in silver in the UK for £408 is that a decent price or too expensive, not sure about silver but it does look striking :)

Any advice and opinions would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I've seen no reports of S7 Edge batteries, only the Note 7. Please provide a link to that information.

As for cracking, there have been millions sold but very few cracking. Percentage-wise, insignificant...unless of course yours is one that cracked. Almost any phone announced brings out all the bad problems which get highly blown out of proportion in our Internet world. Again, percentage-wise, insignificant!

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've seen no reports of S7 Edge batteries, only the Note 7. Please provide a link to that information.

As for cracking, there have been millions sold but very few cracking. Percentage-wise, insignificant...unless of course yours is one that cracked. Almost any phone announced brings out all the bad problems which get highly blown out of proportion in our Internet world. Again, percentage-wise, insignificant!

Thanks for the reply and of course you are right it will be a small percentage compared to sales I take it you like yours then I love the look of it and the battery life sounds great as well here is a link to one recent incident if you google S7 catching fire in a UK cafe that is also recent but of course it's only two I was hoping it wasn't related to the Note 7

Samsung Is Sued After Galaxy S7 Edge Explodes And Causes Third-Degree Burns : TECH : Tech Times

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I do like my S7E.

Thanks for the link. Two devices out of what, over 25 million sold? No matter the brand or model, there is no perfect anything. Things will go wrong and fail!

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I got an edge to replace my note 7 when the recall happened. Apple LG and HTC all have had phones that have had units melt or explode due to the battery. It obviously wasn't on the scale of the note 7 but the lithium batteries if they get damaged in anyway can be very dangerous.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had my phone since release with no problems. My home button is completely intact. I think it has to do with use and the environment it's in.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Is the paint peel on the home button a massive issue? I've seen it mentioned a few times...

No. People post on these forums to get help with problems. Doesn't mean that these problems are common. I have not had any of the problems posted here on my S7 and S7 Edge.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I would say that's the reason you have a manufacturers warranty . Just incase the battery goes bonkers or if the paint starts peeling on the home button ,or anything else happens for that matter. Go for it man, it's a great phone you won't regret it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I think all phones are fragile but it depends on how you handle them. I haven't broken a device in over 15 years but my kids break them daily! I use slim Otterbox case with no screen protection on mine and no issue so far.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
You're right :) I have just bought a three month old black Edge froma watch forum I know well and it comes with a new wireless charger as well so fingers crossed I love it as I have a Nexus 6 and love that Amoled display and I know the Edge display will be so much better and also the battery life will be hopefully a lot better as well :)

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
IMO, this phone is a tough as they come.
All I have for protection is one of those stick on screen protectors and a crappy casemate back with a kickstand. I've thrown this phone at least 5 times (I hate this phone), not at full strength, but significantly harder than anyone should be throwing a $700 phone. Not one single issue!!!

If I HAD to give the S7E a plus...it would be the great display and you're seriously going to have to try to break it because getting mad and throwing it across the room won't do it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781