Anyone else having battery issues and running hot after the latest update?

A

AC Question

Hi folks,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge phone. It's been running great until now but after I ran an update last night now all the sudden the device is running very hot, the menus are all janky and will randomly close when I'm doing something, and the WiFi keeps flickering and reconnecting constantly. I tried doing a full power down and closing all running apps, and I even shut off the wifi and bluetooth both for a bit but still my device died after a couple hours of me not even using it. What's going on? Is anyone else having issues with Android 6.0.1 on the S7 edge?

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Do a cache partition wipe first. Hold volume up, and the home button at the same time, then hold the power button and keep them held for a couple seconds. Then wait a minute and it will take you to the screen. If it still doesnt work, check for any apps or new apps you have downloaded they may be the cause, or the update messed with some os files and they arent playing nice. If still no use factory reset and wait a few hours before downloading apps, if still no use take it to your carrier

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, mine is doing the same thing. Past couple days the battery life was just running down quicker than normal, but I just passed it off to maybe being some signal issues or whatnot. But, today its been running at 94-98 degrees and discharging 1% battery between 30secs-3mins. Gotta say, I'm kinda worried about it with all the battery issues Samsung has been having recently. Tempted to swing by Verizon tomorrow if it continues overnight.

Mikeysvt02

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge phone. It's been running great until now but after I ran an update last night now all the sudden the device is running very hot, the menus are all janky and will randomly close when I'm doing something, and the WiFi keeps flickering and reconnecting constantly. I tried doing a full power down and closing all running apps, and I even shut off the wifi and bluetooth both for a bit but still my device died after a couple hours of me not even using it. What's going on? Is anyone else having issues with Android 6.0.1 on the S7 edge?

Same thing happening with me today. Woke up to 100% battery like normal and then within 1.hour I was down to 50 percent. Without me even using it. Something is definitely wrong. Janky as hell too and nothing I've tried works! Tried wipe cache from boot menu multiple times with no luck. Somebody please help. Phone is damn near worthless to go from 100% to 0 in under 2 hours.

Has anyone had this issue today or found an app or a fix?

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

That is very likely the cause. Removed Oculus Home when I was looking at apps running high CPU, and after a few minutes the battery discharge went to 1% every 5. Will remove all apps and hope for the best.

*EDIT*
The Oculus apps were definitely the problem for me. Uninstalled all the apps and all the issues I was having before went away. September battery issues still remain, but I assume Samsung will be getting something over to Verizon soon to OTA sometime in 5yrs to fix that.

Last edited:

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
A few threads on battery problems with the sept update. I called sammy and they said to bring it to best buy sam experience shop. I doubt i will but maybdo a factory reset this weekend. Draining in 3-5 hrs.

swatguy51

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the thread but, I have been having wireless signal issues since the update. I always had a very strong signal at work but now I drop a lot of calls I have a widget that monitors signal strength and it is quite a few less bars than before. I have also tried a hard rest and refreshing the connections. I and on Verizon. Anyone else notice this issue?

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Not trying to hijack the thread but, I have been having wireless signal issues since the update. I always had a very strong signal at work but now I drop a lot of calls I have a widget that monitors signal strength and it is quite a few less bars than before. I have also tried a hard rest and refreshing the connections. I and on Verizon. Anyone else notice this issue?

Yes. Exactly. Ive also tried clearing the cache. No joy.

Jcprints

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Remove oculus and you'll be fine. Even if you don't have the app installed go into app manager and see if you have all the oculus background services installed and uninstall them. It's the only thing that worked for me.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Oclus and Samsung VR apps caused this issue for me. Seems to be a cause for a lot of s7 users. Need to spread the word to remove this app!

You can't remove or disable 'GEAR VR'.

Odd thing is that under 'applications' GEAR VR shows 9% battery usage. When I go into the specific battery usage info the app Gear VR doesn't show up anywhere.

Go figure

Rob Jentsch

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Trying this to see if thisnis the same problem I'm having too. Just started destroying my battery yesterday afternoon. I've deleted a ton tryjng to get it before I do the reset, but I also noticed my Galaxy Gear is dying in about 6 hours instead of its usual 2-3 days, so I have the bluetooth off and uninstalled most of the Gear apps I could.

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night and phone is running like a champ now. Whatever they did in the last update seemed to be fixed for now....

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Trying this to see if thisnis the same problem I'm having too. Just started destroying my battery yesterday afternoon. I've deleted a ton tryjng to get it before I do the reset, but I also noticed my Galaxy Gear is dying in about 6 hours instead of its usual 2-3 days, so I have the bluetooth off and uninstalled most of the Gear apps I could.

Both my s7 and s7e started running hot and draining battery 2 days ago. I have uninstalled Oculus on both of them so I'll see how that works out but so far so good. Saved a ton of space on each device as well so win win.

venom8871

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem with my phone all I had to do was take a backup and restore to factory settings and restore my data and it's working very well right now 7 hours and battery and still have 36% available