S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam stats? MetroPCS/Tmobile varient

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam reporting 15-25 percent per hour minimal use while on?

Tried testing some more.. found things interesting.. a sunday afternoon, leaving the phone turned off.. sitting idle over 2 hours.. maybe 1.5% per hour max drain, often much less.. then suddenly sunday evening it starts peaking again, 6%, 8%, 10%, for no apparent reason..

Another test on a monday.. idle/off again over 2 hours.. back to normal.. maybe 3% max (still not as good as 1% but better)..
Then later in day it peaks again..

From what i can see, it seems directly proportional to the amount of notifications i'm receiving.. even with them set to not turn the screen on.. maybe aquamail related, unsure.. or facebook, or mysms.. i guess the real test would be to disable all of these and test again.

For kicks i sometimes turn on the power saving mode and that does seem to at least bring it to the 3% per hour rate, sometimes closer to that 1.5 lower average.. but then there are other times it still doesnt (and i still see notifications even though it says this mode should have them disabled until you open the app)

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam reporting 15-25 percent per hour minimal use while on?

Not familiar with aquamail, but does it check for new mail for a set time interval? If it's doing this often, it could be draining the battery.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Don't get me wrong, I love Android, but I wish power management wasn't such a science. To pinpoint battery issues, users need to have GSAM or some other monitoring app, analyze their battery consumption, and compare it to everyone elses SOT and standby time to figure what's "normal".

The Edge has a 3600maH battery, but it doesn't mean squat if the software can't pinpoint and minimize excessive drain.

I just performed a factory reset on my Edge 2 weeks ago because I couldn't find the culprit. It was a pain in the neck.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Well, 3C showing 6% per hour drop suddenly, despite disabling chomp, aquamail and mysms.. at first it was looking good, the "good" 1.5 when off rate.. then out of the blue spikes with no real notifications blowing up the phone either, so who knows.. i'm basically going to give up and accept it is what it is.. poor power management in general (or adoptable mode sd card drain of some kind, though i have a fast u3 in there).

Side note: I'm using the 3c app.. and for some reason if i try to reinstall gsam now, i get a 504 error, i think it was 504, seems maybe its blocked because of 3c being on there, but i'm not positive.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I haven't really monitored drain or anything like that on mine. I'm on Nova Launcher. Today at 6:55 am phone was at 93% I didn't plug it in again until 3:55 pm at appx 10% battery left. I have auto sync on, Facebook, work and home email, all sorts of stuff. That's not a bad battery run time for me.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I haven't really monitored drain or anything like that on mine. I'm on Nova Launcher. Today at 6:55 am phone was at 93% I didn't plug it in again until 3:55 pm at appx 10% battery left. I have auto sync on, Facebook, work and home email, all sorts of stuff. That's not a bad battery run time for me.

For me its something like 95-100% at 10am, then 50-60% by 5pm (if i'm lucky).. this is with maybe 35 minutes of screen time typically.
I'm on Nova and do a ton of stuff, doesnt seem to matter nova or not. I also leave sync on, bluetooth is off unless plugged in, wifi on.

I uninstalled 3C battery monitor pro and tried gsam again.. still getting a 504 error code when it tries to finish the install

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

More testing.. i found that if i turn to airplane mode, turn wifi on, turn power saving mode on.. i get around 1.2% per hour drop.. so its either notifications or the phone mobile network having issues.. leaning towards thinking phone network. Held awake times dropped to 6min out of 45, whereas before it would be much much higher in the same 45 minute span.

update: confirmed, this time wifi + airplane and NO power save mode.. still holding at 1.5% per hour off over 1hr 21 min and 11 minutes held awake.. seems pretty standard.. will compare one last time with with everything on, but i'm sure its bad signal (despite wifi) or bad sim card (have had metropcs issues randomly as is).. perhaps leading to the typical all active rate of anywhere from 3.5 to more likely 8% per hour.

For that 1hr 21.. android system still lead the pack with 34.9 (4min21sec) and kernel at 21.2% (2m38) with goggle services at 4.1% (30 seconds)

Last edited:

John B11

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site

What happened at the end did you manage to solve the battery drain?

My s7 drains when sitting idle on the table drains about 5% per hour and about 10 % per hour if browsing and 17 % if on youtube.

Factory reset (with no new apps installed - except gsam), still shows 5 % drain per hour when phone is just sitting idle. GSAM doesn't show anything strange except the fact the per hour drain when screen is off is still quite high.
when i first got it (less than a month ago) over night was only about 4-6 percent drainage now it is up to around 30 % per night!

My wifes s4 mini drains around 1 % per hour when phone is just idle sitting on table while s7 edge drains about 5% per hour and easily outlasts my s7 edge it is a disgrace ! for 700$+ phone

Has anyone solved this problem successfully ?

Surely there must be someone who as solved it or got it fixed or returned ?
The orange gsam photo is for s4 mini the others for s7 edge (pls notice the screen on time in both)
Screenshot_20170127-193830.pngScreenshot_20170127-210300.png20170129_092239.jpgScreenshot_20170129-092455.jpgScreenshot_20170129-092115.jpgScreenshot_20170129-092115.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I replied to you in another thread to see if your wi-fi scanning is turned on in Settings>Privacy>Location>Improve Accuracy. If so, then turn it off.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

What happened at the end did you manage to solve the battery drain?

My s7 drains when sitting idle on the table drains about 5% per hour and about 10 % per hour if browsing and 17 % if on youtube.

Factory reset (with no new apps installed - except gsam), still shows 5 % drain per hour when phone is just sitting idle. GSAM doesn't show anything strange except the fact the per hour drain when screen is off is still quite high.
when i first got it (less than a month ago) over night was only about 4-6 percent drainage now it is up to around 30 % per night!

My wifes s4 mini drains around 1 % per hour when phone is just idle sitting on table while s7 edge drains about 5% per hour and easily outlasts my s7 edge it is a disgrace ! for 700$+ phone

Has anyone solved this problem successfully ?

Surely there must be someone who as solved it or got it fixed or returned ?
The orange gsam photo is for s4 mini the others for s7 edge (pls notice the screen on time in both)
View attachment 251236View attachment 251237View attachment 251239View attachment 251242View attachment 251244View attachment 251244
Test this:
Switch to airplane mode and see how much drain in 1hr.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I have a bit of an update on my draining issue..

I recently did the android 7 upgrade.. and a full reset.. followed by a restore of all apps from a backup (also tried from scratch).. there may have been marginally better life on the one Not restored from backup, still unclear.. at any rate i'm back full blown install..

I think i found a few sources of drain or at least wakelocks.. one may have been weatherbug.. another the tmobile app (i'm on metro pcs).. i've disabled these and it seems better.

I switched wifi to sleep when off, unless charging.. i also made sure wifi calling was set to only if cellular quality was poor.

Gsam though, is acting odd.. i ran the adb command to enable more stats.. it worked fine but randomly switches back to "combined cpu" view for things.. its also reporting now that my phone signal use is at 0 minutes over 4 hours time (cant be).. and wifi at full blown the whole time (both in good cell areas and not)..

Yesterday eve, at home in 4-5 bar cell areas.. i got it down to about 1.6% per hour when off.. wifi actually went to sleep for some of the hours in the tests.. this has never happened before.

Now here we are today though (bluetooth off btw).. and at work i was sitting at around 2.4% per hour when off (before at work this would be more like 3.9-7% when off), but now with the weird phone use vs wifi and combined cpu thing on gsam..

I just restarted the phone.. gsam is reporting the correct things and showing more stats (not combined cpu) now.

I suspect at least at work, the major culprit is the cell signal being weak (1-2 bars generally).. i can get 0 to 0.5% per hour (i think) when i switch to airplane mode at work..

Still testing but at least some progress, though i need to confirm weatherbug really caused the drain (wakelock viewer seemed to indicate it and tmobile woke things up the most), though even that wakelock viewer is confusing and doesnt seem to have a way to reset the hour count.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I did a 30 min test in airplane mode with wifi ON (radio off).. basically 5 min held awake (10 per hour roughly) and 0% per hour drain while off.. i'm guessing its the phone radio causing the issue.. but i wonder if its poor metropcs or if its a "bad" radio, if thats possible.

In another airplane test i turned wifi off.. over 49 mins it was held awake 2 mins.. android system (50%) kept it awake 1min 30sec.. again caused by imsservice and Kernel was at 2min 5sec keep awake, overall 0%/hour with wifi off + airplane

And for another.. normal mode but wifi off.. over 45min 54 sec screen time, held awake 6min, and 1.3%/hr while off (no wifi use obviously and 45 mins of phone radio active), doze time light shows 34min with 76% screen off, while deep shows nothing

Last edited:

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I did a 30 min test in airplane mode with wifi ON (radio off).. basically 5 min held awake (10 per hour roughly) and 0% per hour drain while off.. i'm guessing its the phone radio causing the issue.. but i wonder if its poor metropcs or if its a "bad" radio, if thats possible.

In another airplane test i turned wifi off.. over 49 mins it was held awake 2 mins.. android system (50%) kept it awake 1min 30sec.. again caused by imsservice and Kernel was at 2min 5sec keep awake, overall 0%/hour with wifi off + airplane

And for another.. normal mode but wifi off.. over 45min 54 sec screen time, held awake 6min, and 1.3%/hr while off (no wifi use obviously and 45 mins of phone radio active), doze time light shows 34min with 76% screen off, while deep shows nothing

More testing, this time overnight.. i get anywhere from 0.8 / hour loss to 1.5 / hour.. i noticed over 2 hr 45 min that it only went into deep sleep for 16 minutes.. how long wifi comes on also seems to be a factor.. the last 2hr 45 min segment it came on for 59 minutes i think.. whereas the lesser drain rates it only came on for much less, say 15 minutes over 3 hours.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Work based, low signal area testing when off latest example:
41minutes 4.4% / hour, radio 41 minutes, wifi 0 minutes, held awake 8 minutes.. app usage..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170515-102657.png
    Screenshot_20170515-102657.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay