Black screen of death

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone also experience Black screen from time to time? I experienced it randomly every 2 to 3 days.

Need to hold vol down and powerkey or hard restart the phone each time it happens.

Tried wiping cache already but to no avail. Has anyone determined what causes this kind of problem?

I have also tried turning on and off various features to pinpoint the possible culprit like AoD, edge panel and even uninstalling some 3rd party apps.

Should i return my phone to my carrier? Im just afraid even if i do the hassle of returning, i will still experience the same problem with the replacement unit if this is just a software issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. There shouldn't be any "hassle of returning" if you're within the return period. They should just replace the pphone. (The only hassle would be in transferring everything from the old phone to the new phone.)

2. If it were my phone, I'd have already returned it after the 2nd time.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
engineeryajeeb it's when it's crashing once every 5 minutes you have to watch out. It is possible for these phones to go into an unrecoverable state when they will ignore any button press.

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I started getting the random blue horizontal lines on my phone and after 2-3 days, the display stopped accepting any input. Samsung handled the repair under warranty and hassle free, other than nearly 2 weeks without the phone and the hassle of getting it all back the way it was (they repaired and sent the same serial number)

I'd get it replaced while you still have access to the phone

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs. My phone is just 3 weeks old. The problem is here in my country theres only a 7 day return policy for defects and/or issues.

Warranty is 1 yr though they will send it to samsung which will take weeks to process. Whats also worrying me is they just cant replicate the black screen problem thus cannot justify my replacement.

Well for what its worth, i continued uninstalling 3rd party apps to further isolate the possible cause. So far no blackscreens.