Samsung Quality Issues, Paint Peeling On S7 Edge Home Button?!?!?!

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The home button on my s7 edge randomly one day when I woke up I noticed that the paint on it began peeling and had a scratch.
It looks ugly and horrible, is this normal?
Will Samsung Warranty cover and replace it.
I am shocked that for 800$ phone the quality is so bad.Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 1.28.06 AM.jpg

PaszekBiceps

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
This is normal because Samsung used plastic instead of Gorilla Glass for the finger print scanner which makes it not as durable. Other S7 Edge owners have reported scratches and paint peeling from day to day use aswell. It says on their warranty site (Warranty Information | Samsung LEVANT) "The warranty is not applicable to cases other than defects in material, design and workmanship." and this appears to be a defect in material. If your warranty still lasts, they should cover this as it is a common design flaw, but having them open it up to replace the button may remove its water-proofing. Samsung uses a repair service called "w-support" that claims it will still be water-proof after repair but whether or not you trust that is up to you.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I sent my phone in to get the rear glass repaired because it cracked. I paid for that repair but my home button looked similar to yours and they replaced it under warranty. Worth a contact to them to see what they say. I was actually shocked they replaced it to be honest.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I sent my phone in to get the rear glass repaired because it cracked. I paid for that repair but my home button looked similar to yours and they replaced it under warranty. Worth a contact to them to see what they say. I was actually shocked they replaced it to be honest.

Hi is your phone still water resistant as previously?

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
This really stinks. My phones usually look pristine when I'm ready to sell them but my silver S7 edge has some paint coming off my home button. I never lay my phone face down and always have it in a case. My daughter is rough on phones but she doesn't have a scratch on her button. I'm wandering if the paint peeling just effects a certain group of these s7's.

Please let us know if you contact samsung. I would but I don't have a backup phone right now.

Last edited:

djsanchos

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
CvJX-wFWIAARdZd.jpg
I contact samsung and they tell me over chat:
You are now chatting with 'Mounika S'. The reference number for this chat is 4329996064.
Mounika S: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung Technical Support. How may I assist you?
Stoyan Ivanov: hello i have s7 since 07-03-2016 i have scratches on home button around the frame what i should do ?
Mounika S: Just to confirm, are we connected on the chat?
Stoyan Ivanov: confirm
Mounika S: It could be inconvenient for you. Let me check what best I can do for you in this regard.
Mounika S: Shall I ask you a few questions to assist you better?
Stoyan Ivanov: yes
Mounika S: Where (country) did you purchase the phone?
Stoyan Ivanov: bulgaria
Mounika S: I am sorry to inform you that Samsung technical support department deals with technical troubleshooting for U.S. devices only and doesn't have information about non-U.S. devices. However, I will provide you with the international contact details.
Mounika S: Store | Samsung
Mounika S: Please access the above link to reach your country support team for further assistance.
Stoyan Ivanov: yes i contacted them but they told me whether the problem is covered by warranty
Stoyan Ivanov: i have not receive clear respons
Mounika S: They will bring the device in for evaluation, and the repair technician will determine if the cause of damage is due to defect or an external source. If a defect is found by external source, you will receive an email with the option to pay for repair. If the damage is caused by a defect, the device will be repaired under warranty
Stoyan Ivanov: ok thanks
Stoyan Ivanov: have a nice day
Mounika S: You are welcome.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Wow. This sucks. I just got my S7E two weeks ago from a N7. Mine looks ok so far. I got a black one, are they affected? I'm seeing mostly gold and silver phones with the problem in this thread.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My home button is ok, but the black paint on the speaker grill and camera ring is peeling off.
I've seen this on a coworker's black S7. I originally had a black S7e but changed it to silver. Very disappointed. I'm sure its technically possible to paint/anodize these things without them finish chipping or wearing off. I've not seen anything like that on any iPhone I've had. As I'd noted earlier, Apple chooses to protect their home button with sapphire. I'm sure there's a reason they chose sapphire over less durable materials and I'd kinda expect the same or superior quality from Samsung since they want to charge similar monies for their products.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on your phone? Some users have reported home-button paint-peeling after using the supplied alcohol wipe before applying a screen protector--which is unsurprising since alcohol can be used as a paint-removing solvent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid