What are your thoughts on the Note 7 fiasco?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
S7 and S7 edge users, what are you thinking?

I know most of us love our S7 phones. They were great when they came out. They're still amazing. Of course issues exist. But they still are one of the best phones if not theeee best. For me they are the best. I love my S7 edge in black.

But. Note 7. What is going on? What do you think this whole drama will do to this company which, finally, started to deliver amazing products?

Will it make them want to deliver more?
Will the S8 be the most amazing phone in the whole world? Does it have to be? Does it need to be? What if it's not?

I feel so bad for Samsung. The Note 7 is such a good product. An almost perfect idea turning into ashes. How do you come back from this?

How?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It may or may not affect Samsung. But as long as they keep on rolling out the most desirable Android phones on almost every price point they'll chug along until it is forgotten. Hopefully this will also cause them to be more scrutinizing of their partners.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Outside of the fiasco, Samsung did amazing job with the S7E, that note 7 seems lacking or have nothing special, and lower battery life.

Not impressive if u come from S7, but from other phone it might have been a good option, nonetheless waiting for mate 9 or S8.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My thoughts are that it makes me feel really bad. I really like tech and have had a lot of Samsung products (including all the Notes except for the 5 and 7). It stings a little to know this happened and I can't get a Note 7 easily or without unacceptable risk (imo). I still have faith in Sammy and hope they come out of all this with even better products. So far my S7 edge works great but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'd really rather have had a Note 7 to keep my iPhone 6s company.

It is what it is though. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us Samsung fans and our products.

finbaar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Note 7 but cancelled the order the next day. This was before the battery issue came to light. I dodged a bullet there. But I went for the S7 edge as it was cheaper and almost the same. I still fancy a Note 7 though when the price drops.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a note 7 on day 1, loved it, it's an excellent phone! I gave it up in the recall and got the S7 Edge. While I miss some features and that coral blue color, the s7e is an excellent phone with slightly better battery and the UI runs a smidgen smoother then the note 7 in my experience with my units.

It sucks for Samsung because the s7, s7e and note 7 together were, in many aspects the best phones on the market 1,2,3. I hope they recover from this because I love their products and they were reaching a pinnacle in their design and development with the note 7 and now it's going down in flames (pun intended). No other phone brands offer what I want in a phone in a total package like Samsung's phones have done. The mobile phone market needs Samsung to be big just like it needs apple to be big. Their products drive the market, pave innovation and help make all phone manufacturers build excellent products so we can enjoy an HTC 10 or all the moto phones, or the LG v20 and now the Pixels. Each year these companies build off of one another adding features, hardware trends etc... I hope Samsung comes out on top of this, I really do.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Well the Note 7 will have its diehard following but besides that its a lost cause. The only thing they can do to help is have all Note 7 owners get a discount for the next Samsung device they buy. The S8 will be hopeful if they assure the customers it will be safe and market it the best they can. It'll most likely be great but I doubt it'll sell as much as the S7's have.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The second Recall might be on its way.

The first recall, didn't put any blame on Samsung. We encouraged not to because it was not Samsung's fault.

But what about this one? Replacements getting on fire. Didn't see this coming. Not me at least.

This has to be Samsung's fault. There is no one else to blame.

But I'm with you all. I still think that even if we ignore this burning issue, the S7 edge is still a better phone considering the fluidity of the UI. Only a few people have faced lag on this phone compared to many on the Note 7. S7 edge is more optimised for some reason.

But the note 7 still IS one of the best phones.

I didn't blame Samsung the first time. But I have to this time. I don't know what they'll do now. Or what they SHOULD do. Hope they figure out something nice for their loyal costumers.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a shame because I've not had any issues with my original or my replacement Note7 but a this point, with the bad rep, I don't think there will be many accessories made for it even if it comes through this latest with a clean bill of health. I am continuing to use my Note7 until I'm told otherwise. That being said, this whole fiasco has made me look closer at my GS7e where I discovered that the glass back has started to lift on the edge of where the battery is. It is a subtle lift and almost unnoticeable. I am assuming that it is a swollen battery and now will have to return it for replacement.

That being said, I'm in the camp that has experienced bad lag on my GS7e vs none on my Note7. I like my GS7e but don't think it's better than the Note7. I attributed it to the less storage since I do install alot of apps, but now I wonder if this lifting had anything to do with it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think they will recall all galaxy devices sooner than later. There are reports of edges and the notes catching fire, I don't charge overnight for this reason. With the feds involved now I think it's time for Samsung to throw the towel in on the galaxy 7 devices and work on the next new 8 series. They should not leave doubt in owners minds and any physical damage caused by these phones will cost Samsung a fortune!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking I'm glad I skipped the Note 7. What a nightmare, and what a way for an excellent phone series to go up in flames, literally.

Initially I gave Samsung the benefit of the doubt. But it looks like corners were cut and those faulty Note devices went right back out to customers

We won't truly know the fall out from this until Samsung issues the statement/recall. But as of now, the Note 7 is dead and Samsung is in trouble.

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think this could end up being the last galaxy note by name. I can see it being re branded to galaxy S8 pro next August-September when we would normally expect the next note. The brand has took too much of a beating in the US to keep the note name.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the Note 7 and thought that it was a superb device. After the first recall, I got the S 7 Edge and was impressed by it. When I was able to go back and get a new, supposedly safe Note 7, I did just that. Well, after all the nonsense and news of replacement Note 7s catching fire just like the original ones, I went to AT&T and exchanged my Note 7 for the S 7 Edge, again. I will miss the S Pen a little because I did use it. I also liked the iris scanner on the Note 7. I never had a single issue with mine, but I just got fed up with all the worrying about whether it might catch fire. If Samsung actually fixes what ever is wrong with the Note and comes out with a Note 8 or something, I'll probably go back to it. Be that as it may, the S 7 Edge is a great device with, it appears, better battery life.

Last edited:

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm extremely happy right now that I stayed with the S7E, and decided not to go back to the N7. I really thought they came back with the replacements way to fast to have actually made sure they fixed the issue. Turns out that might be right on track. I love my S7E. Very happy to be skipping the new part of the drama.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think they will recall all galaxy devices sooner than later. There are reports of edges and the notes catching fire, I don't charge overnight for this reason. With the feds involved now I think it's time for Samsung to throw the towel in on the galaxy 7 devices and work on the next new 8 series. They should not leave doubt in owners minds and any physical damage caused by these phones will cost Samsung a fortune!

Other galaxy devices that have caught fire are not having these malfunctions nowhere near the note 7's level. The s7's and edges that have caught fire are isolated incidents just like the iPhone 6's and 7's as well as other brands of phones that have caught fire recently. You just heard about the s7 edge fire because Samsung is under the microscope because of the note 7 fiasco. Heck the news even reported a note 2 fire and a Samsung washing machine that started smoking trying to make it seem like its a company cross platform wide saga. This is all because news reports what's hot (no pun intended). The note 7 is a beautiful disaster that I hope Samsung will recover from with even better and safer devices. But evidence supports that the problem is with the note 7 and just the note 7.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
But the note 7 still IS one of the best phones.

I didn't blame Samsung the first time. But I have to this time. I don't know what they'll do now. Or what they SHOULD do. Hope they figure out something nice for their loyal costumers.

After the 4th replacement N7 fire announced later today, have lost faith in Samsung. Really hope they come with the truth of what was causing the fires. But instead of truth, am more so expecting a statement of "we're sorry & we'll do better in the future etc." Hope they prove me wrong.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just got my s7 edge today. Coming from the Note 7, which was an amazing phone. Just didn't want to be stuck with a phone that Samsung won't support in the future. Hated to give it up.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm just plain skeptical of some of the N7 fire reports. How on Earth can a phone that has been turned off all of a sudden burst into flames? I can understand when a phone is being charged, and perhaps if it's being used heavily. But just sitting there doing nothing but keeping time, while it's turned off? I want to see some of these situations studied and analyzed.

I don't charge my phone "overnight" -- I usually keep it topped off, and get it to 100% before I head to bed. I just upgraded from an S6 to an S7 Edge -- I was actually quite happy with the S6, but all of the excellent N7 reviews (before they started bursting into flames) got me thinking about going to a bigger phone. I had the original Galaxy Note, so I know that I won't use the S Pen, thus the S7 Edge gave me that "new phone" vibe and enough of a bigger screen. I'm somewhat expecting to hear that a certain number of the N7 fires have been hoaxes, but we'll see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol