s7 edge gets hot.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm recently coming from a note 7 and actually really like this s7 edge. However, phone randomly gets warm and the battery drains for no reason. Sometimes when idle too. Anyone faced this?? And don't tell me to hard reset when the phone is 2 days old lol.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've seen reports of this, as to this moment I have not experienced the hot phone. Mine runs just like the n7 did. Some say give it a few days and the heat goes away, but I never had it, and it just got warm during setup process which is expected.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've seen reports of this, as to this moment I have not experienced the hot phone. Mine runs just like the n7 did. Some say give it a few days and the heat goes away, but I never had it, and it just got warm during setup process which is expected.
Mine got warm yesterday to about 97F (battery temp using that app) but it's fine

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes! It gets hot as heck! I posted about this in another thread. I just got mine yesterday. I had a system message pop up saying it was going into cool down mode. Took a good thirty minutes before the phone was cool enough to return to normal operation. I wasn't doing anything taxing other than downloading updates from the playstore.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive had an S7 Edge for about 6 months.
Mine has run extremely well until 10/12/16 when google photos had an update. IT took me a few days to track down that app was causing my phone to run sluggish, hot and had bad battery life. I uninstalled the update and all is back to normal.
My suggestion would be to check and see if you have that update installed and if so remove it then see if your phone goes back to normal.
It worked on my device and if you check out the recent comments in the play store about that app its definitely an issue.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes! It gets hot as heck! I posted about this in another thread. I just got mine yesterday. I had a system message pop up saying it was going into cool down mode. Took a good thirty minutes before the phone was cool enough to return to normal operation. I wasn't doing anything taxing other than downloading updates from the playstore.
If I got a system message that said it was going into cool down mode I think I'd be a little bit ticked off about that especially with all the Note 7 issues we've had

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
If I got a system message that said it was going into cool down mode I think I'd be a little bit ticked off about that especially with all the Note 7 issues we've had
My time with the s7 edge it would get extremely hot and have to cool down(would close apps to cool the phone down). This was months before the note 7 ever came out. Surprisingly I never had those issues on my note 7 which made me happy until the recall. Funny the phones that get extremely hot don't over heat, but the ones that don't do. If that isn't opposite idk what is lol...

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm recently coming from a note 7 and actually really like this s7 edge. However, phone randomly gets warm and the battery drains for no reason. Sometimes when idle too. Anyone faced this?? And don't tell me to hard reset when the phone is 2 days old lol.
I had a T-Mobile S7 Edge that only got hot when it was charging, on Waze, and at least one other active app (eg. I often play YouTube videos in the background while driving).

Otherwise it wasn't too bad. I sold it to get the Note7. After first replacement of the Note7, I got the unlocked Olympic edition S7 Edge from BB. It got crazy hot. I wonder if it's Band 12 LTE was simply not as good as the T-Mobile one because it's signal wasn't as good.

I returned it when I got the 2nd Note7. Now I'm back on a T-Mobile S7 Edge as of Monday. It's somewhere in between the two. Hotter than my original, but no where near as bad as the unlocked Olympic. But I've had two other issues with it, one now fixed. GPS was not accurate on Waze. Uninstalling and reinstalling sorted that, and now two random reboots so far. Starting to wonder if I should give up on Sammy for now and switch to something else but not sure what. Not impressed enough with the Pixel XL for its price. Maybe LG V20, but if Samsung has some stability issues, LG has a lot more historically.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If this is a new phone, I would return it. This isn't normal. I've read where people get cracks, believing it was caused by excessive heat and the glass not able to expand.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You're correct...I know that I should return it. *scream*!! I've gone from a Note 4, Note 7, Note 7, iPhone 7+, S7e in the span of a couple of months. So over dealing with this. I'll head to VZW (over an hour away!) tomorrow. I hear that they are short on black ones as well. Joy.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
You're correct...I know that I should return it. *scream*!! I've gone from a Note 4, Note 7, Note 7, iPhone 7+, S7e in the span of a couple of months. So over dealing with this. I'll head to VZW (over an hour away!) tomorrow. I hear that they are short on black ones as well. Joy.
That sucks I'm sorry. Are you going to go back to the iphone?

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That sucks I'm sorry. Are you going to go back to the iphone?

Oh no. Never. I'm an android girl down to the very core. (love my macbook though) That iPhone 7+ was the result of some late night online anger-shopping. :p I was waiting at my gate for the UPS guy to deliver it and took it straight to VZW to swap it for the S7e.

I'm going to stick with the edge.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah mine was the same way when I got it Sunday. I was like are you kidding me??

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I got that message also. I have the Ampere app installed and it showed my S7E running at 117 degrees. That's pretty toasty.

Screenshot_20161020-063626.jpg

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Yup! That's exactly the message I got. Hasn't happened again since day one so I haven't exchanged it. Seems to be working perfectly fine now and I haven't discerned any excessive temp spikes. I've set up a lot of phones over the years (and quite a few over the past months lol) and have never had that happen. Calling it a one-off for now.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Crap, i had my TMO S7 Edge running video for an hour the other night trying to run the battery down before i went to bed and it was slightly warmer the normal but no where near hot.
wonder if its a CDMA or Verizon issue.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I had a T-Mobile S7 Edge that only got hot when it was charging, on Waze, and at least one other active app (eg. I often play YouTube videos in the background while driving).

Otherwise it wasn't too bad. I sold it to get the Note7. After first replacement of the Note7, I got the unlocked Olympic edition S7 Edge from BB. It got crazy hot. I wonder if it's Band 12 LTE was simply not as good as the T-Mobile one because it's signal wasn't as good.

I returned it when I got the 2nd Note7. Now I'm back on a T-Mobile S7 Edge as of Monday. It's somewhere in between the two. Hotter than my original, but no where near as bad as the unlocked Olympic. But I've had two other issues with it, one now fixed. GPS was not accurate on Waze. Uninstalling and reinstalling sorted that, and now two random reboots so far. Starting to wonder if I should give up on Sammy for now and switch to something else but not sure what. Not impressed enough with the Pixel XL for its price. Maybe LG V20, but if Samsung has some stability issues, LG has a lot more historically.

The Best Buy unlocked S7 Edge has wifi calling on Tmobile, right?

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully its not another battery issue.

There are more reports of S7 Edge batteries apparently bursting. I don't buy it. I think the people reporting the new safe Note7 as catching on fire were looking to make a buck off Samsung, and I will not forgive them for making all of us Note7 users have to return our Note7s. I suspect the people reporting S7 Edge fires are making false claims also.
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge explodes while charging