Best Function for the Curved Edge

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I just want to say an idea that I have. I think the best function to utilize the curved edges on those Galaxy S Edge phones is: switching apps.

So switching apps by swiping those curved edges. Multitasking button is cumbersome.
However Google phones have the double tap on overview button to switch to recent app.

ateamlawn

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm like it because it gives you a bezelless display allowing the screen to be bigger without making the phone bigger.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I rarely use it. It's kind of a gimmick in my opinion. The reason I got the S7 Edge over the S7 was the 3600 mAh battery, the 5.5 inch screen and lets face it, it looks amazing!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I love the edge panel to get to apps from any screen quickly...like Bitmoji. Also my battery meter and SmartThings. In fact I prefer a flat screen like the regular S7 (but while curved I was ok w the Note 7 with a case). I went with the Edge for the edge swipe capability first and foremost and the battery was the 2nd reason tied w screen size. However I do not like how curved the edge is. The Edge panel was the deciding/swaying factor for me.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the edge functions switched off. In fact having had my screen break the other day from a fall of barely 15cm despite the phone being in a case, I have to say I'm not really a fan of the edge screen as I think it just makes the phone more fragile for very little gain. The edge functions could easily work on a flat screen too

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the edge functions switched off. In fact having had my screen break the other day from a fall of barely 15cm despite the phone being in a case, I have to say I'm not really a fan of the edge screen as I think it just makes the phone more fragile for very little gain. The edge functions could easily work on a flat screen too
I was liking the part about the edge functions would work on a flat screen... Sorry about your screen break :(

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
The edge screen/panels are gorgeous. I like it. Easy access to everything i need. My option, i hope they bring it back. As soon as that happens, im back using my old droids agian.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I like having my most common contacts on the first edge. It saves searching for them in contacts or switching through other screens to find them. I like the edge. It's kind of neat.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I rarely use it. It's kind of a gimmick in my opinion. The reason I got the S7 Edge over the S7 was the 3600 mAh battery, the 5.5 inch screen and lets face it, it looks amazing!
That's it. I know people rarely use it. That's why it should be utilized as a swipe to switch app.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Edge apps are clearly a gimmick. For starters, you could use the same apps on a non-curved screen. The curves, however, are not a gimmick -- they allow for a 5.5" screen to fit into a smaller space, which means this is the only 5.5" screen that can be used comfortably with one hand, although maybe not so much if you have smaller hands. I do wish there was some setting to increase the amount of palm rejection and create more of a dead zone in the edge area (especially in the camera app), but so far, I'm good with the trade off.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Edge apps are clearly a gimmick. For starters, you could use the same apps on a non-curved screen. The curves, however, are not a gimmick -- they allow for a 5.5" screen to fit into a smaller space, which means this is the only 5.5" screen that can be used comfortably with one hand, although maybe not so much if you have smaller hands. I do wish there was some setting to increase the amount of palm rejection and create more of a dead zone in the edge area (especially in the camera app), but so far, I'm good with the trade off.

Yes, it's nice to not have bezels on the side. My GF has a iPhone 6 Plus and though it also has a 5.5 inch screen, the thing is much lager in hand than my S7 Edge.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I only have the clock setup there so I can see it display on the edge when screen sleeps. Also at night though I have a night clock that's big and I like using that

DroidRageYo

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I really like the customizable edge lighting. If I'm in a crowded bar and I have my phone on the table even if I can't hear it I will see who is calling or texting right away. It's actually really helpful. I also like when I'm listening to spotify to be able to run my finger along the edge and immediately see the track information without having to unlock my phone.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
DroidRageYo, I can work out how to turn on the customizable edge lighting despite lots of looking. What makes it function please?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think you might have to have the People edge installed. Then select what color for which person. There's another "edge" functionality that engages when you rub your finger up and down the length of the phone on that very edge. So bottom to top, top to bottom until it engages. But you have to do it on the very edge of the display. Hope that answers your question.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use to think the edge feature was a gimmick until I learned how to utilize it.. Now I can do anything and get anywhere so quickly with the feature.