Battery saving apps and Lock screen apps

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Does the Battery saving apps really work? It seems like in my experience, they haven't. Maybe I've downloaded the wrong battery saving apps.

I use to use CM Locker app but I'm not sure if that's draining my battery as well.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. No they don't. The only ones that used to work were those that turned off data when the phone screen was on, and they don't work anymore. And they don't save battery if you have data off in the first place.

2. Never use anything made by CM. Uninstall as fast as you can.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Does that include Clean Master? I think Clean Master is that too.

What would you recommend for a cleaning app? One that would clean junk and cool down your CPU and boost your phone?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Any app claiming it can cool down the CPU and boost the phone is outright lying. If you want to cool down the phone after use, then stop using it for a while. There is no such thing as 'boosting phone speed'. This things just clear RAM that actually slow the phone down in the long run. You don't need any such app. For cleaning temp files and other random trash files, just use the built in program (Smart Manager).

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
And there's so many of them. Apps that are cleaning / and cooling down the CPU and everything. Same with the battery saving apps. And none of them actually really do what they say their suppose to.

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
"Shut App" or "Doze". Read the descriptions at the play store & give it a go. It works for some folks, but not all. If you're not happy with the results, just uninstall it. It works good for me, but not great. But it does the small work that i want it to do.

About cleaning junk etc, I use to have an app like that. Long story short & being a rookie during them times- my new phone blacked out.. Died. Dead. No clue what happened. Didn't wanna turn on or anything. I figured out later what was causing it. I learned my lesson after that.
Realistically,
Those apps may have once been useful but Android has progressed far enough that they are now outdated, unnecessary & rather harmful. Android’s operating system has its own native handler for assigning RAM to apps and making sure that all of it is being used in the most optimal way.Our phones purposely tries to keep apps loaded into RAM for better performance. RAM is fast, remember? On mobile devices every bit of speed is critical for a good user experience, so keeping apps in RAM is actually a good thing.

If you want to go on the natural route to save battery; I mentioned this b4 on AC–

Check to make sure you're not on Global bc it uses more battery searching all the possible Global networks. Every & all phones; Are set to Global Automatically. Everytime i get a new phone, its the FIRST thing i do. Go to – mobile networks – network mode – select LTE/CDMA.

Calibrate your battery meter
--Allow your phone to discharge down to 15% (low battery warning)...do not allow it to discharge any lower. A complete discharged battery or a battery discharged below about 10% causing the phone to do an emergency shut down and you won't be able to get it to turn on.
--Power off your phone completely. Place the phone on charge using the factory provided cable and charger. Charge the battery until full. You can tell when it is completely charged by pressing the power button.You can tell from that indicator if your battery is fully charged.
--After fully charging youre phone you can take it off the charger and reboot.
--Perform this discharge/charge process every month of two. This keeps your battery meter in calibration with the actual charge on your battery.

Widgets–even though cool, use battery. Widgets run all the time, so theyre using resources all the time. Limit the number of widgets you use and if they update periodically set the update or "sync" interval to as long a period as you can stand.

The background– (wallpaper) you use makes a difference. A bright wallpaper (like white etc) will use more power than a dark wallpaper. Like live wallpapers, as we know & they are battery hogs.
When all fails and you're still getting poor battery, then do a Factory reset (in terms of apps installed etc). It is a good idea to do a Factory Reset b4 you
but you don't have to.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
"Shut App" or "Doze". Read the descriptions at the play store & give it a go. It works for some folks, but not all. If you're not happy with the results, just uninstall it. It works good for me, but not great. But it does the small work that i want it to do.

About cleaning junk etc, I use to have an app like that. Long story short & being a rookie during them times- my new phone blacked out.. Died. Dead. No clue what happened. Didn't wanna turn on or anything. I figured out later what was causing it. I learned my lesson after that.
Realistically,
Those apps may have once been useful but Android has progressed far enough that they are now outdated, unnecessary & rather harmful. Android’s operating system has its own native handler for assigning RAM to apps and making sure that all of it is being used in the most optimal way.Our phones purposely tries to keep apps loaded into RAM for better performance. RAM is fast, remember? On mobile devices every bit of speed is critical for a good user experience, so keeping apps in RAM is actually a good thing.

If you want to go on the natural route to save battery; I mentioned this b4 on AC–

Check to make sure you're not on Global bc it uses more battery searching all the possible Global networks. Every & all phones; Are set to Global Automatically. Everytime i get a new phone, its the FIRST thing i do. Go to – mobile networks – network mode – select LTE/CDMA.

--Allow your phone to discharge down to 15% (low battery warning)...do not allow it to discharge any lower. A complete discharged battery or a battery discharged below about 10% causing the phone to do an emergency shut down and you won't be able to get it to turn on.
--Power off your phone completely. Place the phone on charge using the factory provided cable and charger. Charge the battery until full. You can tell when it is completely charged by pressing the power button.You can tell from that indicator if your battery is fully charged.
--After fully charging youre phone you can take it off the charger and reboot.
--Perform this discharge/charge process every month of two. This keeps your battery meter in calibration with the actual charge on your battery.

Widgets–even though cool, use battery. Widgets run all the time, so theyre using resources all the time. Limit the number of widgets you use and if they update periodically set the update or "sync" interval to as long a period as you can stand.

The background– (wallpaper) you use makes a difference. A bright wallpaper (like white etc) will use more power than a dark wallpaper. Like live wallpapers, as we know & they are battery hogs.
When all fails and you're still getting poor battery, then do a Factory reset (in terms of apps installed etc). It is a good idea to do a Factory Reset b4 you
but you don't have to.

I was wondering about that. The battery. How often to charge my phone to perserve battery life and etc. At what percentage should I be charging my phone. I probably charge my phone at the wrong percentage. Thanks!

Also... Should the lock screen wallpaper be dark as well or just the home screen wallpaper?

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the Battery saving apps really work? It seems like in my experience, they haven't. Maybe I've downloaded the wrong battery saving apps.

I use to use CM Locker app but I'm not sure if that's draining my battery as well.

The only apps & steps that have worked for me:

1. Greenify
2. Use of Samsung's built-in app optimizations
3. Turning off mobile data & activating power saving mode before turning off the screen (I automate this process using Tasker)
4. Turning off Location when I need it

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I never leave Location on. I only turn it on when I need to use location.
i put on powering saving mode and airplane mode when I'm at work.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I find the best 'battery saving app' is the one in settings called 'display' just dial the brightness up and cut it about 40%. I guarantee that within 10 minutes you won't even notice the difference.😀

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If you're low on battery, you can turn on "Grayscale" mode on the S7 so everything works but just black in white. You can do this by going to Settings>Accessibility>Direct Access and enabling "Grayscale". This will let you switch between Color and Grayscale by pressing your home button 3 times.