Samsung to Pixel: Am I crazy?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Am I crazy to think that pixel isn't no where near where Samsung is at?

Waterproofing.
Wireless charging.
Curved display.
Design and aesthetics (sleeker and futuristic)
Tons and tons of features.

Compared to a good looking design which could have been the best design in 2012.

But thinking about leaving a 2016 Samsung phone to go to a Pixel seems like an awesome downgrade.

Samsung and Google are going in two opposite directions it seems. While Apple has started to compete with Samsung by stepping up their game, Google is trying to start a new game; taking Android back to square one.

What does a Samsung fan have to say about the Pixels now that it is out and all reviewed?

nndlb123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
100% agree. I am one of the unlucky people who had to make a decision on what to get since my Note 7 was recalled. I looked at every option and the ONLY thing I could see that is better with the Pixel is faster updates but after spending years flashing phones to get very little change I don't see that as huge and I get a new phone every 12 months so the next major upgrade I get with new hardware anyway. The Pixel to me is ugly (objective I know) and is missing things like SD support, wireless charging (Google should be ashamed) and waterproofing. That doesn't even being too mention Samsung's software which whole is far from perfect has its benefits like Samsung Pay and secure folders.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The phone manufacturers are geniuses....

here we are in 2016 replacing 6 and $700 devices every year....

wow. First world problems, indeed. :)

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't live without water-resistance and wireless charging.
Water resistance is a good peace of mind, but wireless charging is the biggest gimmick I have ever seen for a mobile device. It doesn't charge as fast as direct USB connection and what is the actual advantage to the user???

I think what is drawing people to the pixel is their software. It is stock android that makes way better usage of the battery than a Samsung device. I used a oneplus 3 for two weeks that has 3000mah battery vs the 3600 on the S7E and the oneplus battery lasted me longer than the S7E.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I like the convenience...drop it in the charger by the bed, it's ready to go when I get up. Put another charger in the car, drop it in, to keep it topped off while using navigation etc. Can easily grab it if I need to...

I've never actually plugged in my GS7e in all the time I've had it.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Although fast wireless charging isn't as fast as a wired connection it's not like it's twice as slow. Still a pretty good speed not to mention the heat reduction associated with wireless charging(also forgot about the wear and tear that it takes away from your charging port). We live in an age where we think everything should be faster and faster. Sometimes we have to learn to appreciate the technology that we are blessed to have today because less than a decade ago most of the features we have were only dreams 😀

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging was a great feature that I used in my car. Place the phone on the charger and push to start the car! No way to forget to charge your phone in the car and no annoyance of plugging in and unplugging for multiple short trips when your phone needs a quick charge

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have actually kind of got this itch earlier. They both have pros and cons. I really like the ip68 weather proofing, the wireless charging, and samsung pay. What intrigues me about pixel is daydream and Google assistant.

Just look at what you do with your s7e and see if the pixel can at least replace everything.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The next software update will add many of those feature...

I'm very happy with my GS7e

I sleep for about 5-6 hours a night, it sits on the wireless charger all night, fully charged, and cool as a cucumber, I grab it and go...

I never care about rain anymore, just keep talking,
...tried to answer a call while doing dishes last week, yup, into the sink it went... I had a moment of panic, and started thinking, "do I have any rice?"... Then remembered, laughed, picked it up, shook it off, and returned the call.

That's worth everything right there. 🤓

merlinskw

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
It happens in all manufacturing, People buy things based largely on media, what some cool dude on YouTube says, all other net reviews, Companies just slop together some shinny skins, and pay people to say it's the best...Slam a big price tag on it, then laugh all the way to the bank. It's kinda our fault when we continue to pay for junk. Sorry for format, tired and now I need coffee. 😊

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have actually kind of got this itch earlier. They both have pros and cons. I really like the ip68 weather proofing, the wireless charging, and samsung pay. What intrigues me about pixel is daydream and Google assistant.

Just look at what you do with your s7e and see if the pixel can at least replace everything.

Yes I think both have their pros and cons.

But think about it. You can get a taste of Google's assistant on allo. And yes, day dream would be nice to have. Especially with that price tag.

But is a faster and smoother software enough for a Samsung user to switch? Considering that the software on the S7 edge isn't all that bad. I actually quite like it (with a lot of tweaks).

BUT HERE IS THE FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Is Google competing with Samsung at all? If yes, then how does this Pixel make sense? And if no, why not?

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Water resistance is a good peace of mind, but wireless charging is the biggest gimmick I have ever seen for a mobile device. It doesn't charge as fast as direct USB connection and what is the actual advantage to the user???

I think what is drawing people to the pixel is their software. It is stock android that makes way better usage of the battery than a Samsung device. I used a oneplus 3 for two weeks that has 3000mah battery vs the 3600 on the S7E and the oneplus battery lasted me longer than the S7E.

It's super useful if your charging port breaks

Apple's latest iPhone has one port for everything. Or a single point of failure. My USB port could fail and I can still charge my phone wirelessly.

Plus I find it less finicky to just stick it on a dock at work than plug in and out multiple times a day

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
BUT HERE IS THE FOLLOWUP QUESTION: Is Google competing with Samsung at all? If yes, then how does this Pixel make sense? And if no, why not?

Yes they are. But maybe that is why Google did not push to meet all the hardware specs Samsung has & instead is relying on software? Google has to be careful not to push the other OEM's out.

That aside, saw this last night. The Pixel survived 30 min in water. Though am sure if I purchased one, it'd fail in a light rain. :-\
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhMgCT-Rzw

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
But do you think Software is enough of a reason? And we're talking about a software which with a little work become almost exactly the same. If you use pixel launcher on both there will be little to no differences left between the two.

Of course the Google assistant is the key feature.
But Google Assistant? How many people talk to there phone?

And TLD did a water test for the Pixel and it survived an hour.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I do not upgrade often. That said, have searched & tried to find a device that checks every box. Am not totally sold on the edge screen as would rather have a 5.5" flat screen. The iP7 has its selling points, but can't stand itunes or the lack of LED notifications. Have never spent much time looking at LG or Moto variants.

So in the case of the Pixel or S7 variants. Think instead of comparing spec for spec. It will be a choice of trying something new (as the Pixel is more mainstream than the Nexus line) or sticking with the devil they know in the Samsung line. ;) For me, am waiting for Black Friday holiday sales & see what pops up with that given it is only 5 weeks away.