s7 edge 7.0 beta thread

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nougat ... waste of time?

Because Nougat is more of an under the hood update than a looks update. Not everything that's changed has to be visible.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Because Nougat is more of an under the hood update than a looks update. Not everything that's changed has to be visible.
I think the main feature of Nougat is the ability to upgrade to new versions of Android. However, they said that this will only apply to phones that shipped with Nougat. So basically for us that upgrade to Nougat is going to be just another Marshmallow.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I like the under the hood changes. Smoother transitions, better battery life, closer to stock, and everything from notifications, settings, keyboard to AOD feels new and improved.

It'll be tough to ever go back to MM.

kbennett65

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
You're thinking of the VR only (I meant watch, should have said Gear S) and the third beta added the functionality again.

Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking. I have the Gear VR so that was on my mind. I decided I don't use it so much that I couldn't live without it until the official release.
Kind of surprises me the Samsung Gear watch didn't work with the Samsung phone out of the gate.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking. I have the Gear VR so that was on my mind. I decided I don't use it so much that I couldn't live without it until the official release.
Kind of surprises me the Samsung Gear watch didn't work with the Samsung phone out of the gate.

I only ever used my Gear VR twice (it came with the phone) before selling it.

I think the Gear S/2/3 work fine, I was just worried maybe they had left it out of the initial beta but all seems good with it.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

There are way more changes to Samsung's nougat than I expected. Everything has had a visual refresh and if you use a different launcher, it would be hard pressed to tell its the same phone by just looking at the interface.

Notifications, quick settings and the settings menu have all changed. Samsung apps have had a refresh. Aod now supports third party apps. Battery life is slightly better. It's a 100% win as far as I'm concerned

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had beta3 and appreciate the resizing options in the quick settings and being able to have the brightness slider on the first notification shade again.

I've gotten the system UI stopped error once. hasn't happened since.

Thanks for pointing out the brightness slider. I did not know they added that option.
Is there a log for beta changes? I remember seeing posts where people posted some changes. It's not in the app. I get server error messages at the moment.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm in no hurry to get Nougat. I came from a Nexus 6P recently to the S7E, and the 6P forums are full of threads about much worse battery life than MM (I stayed on MM with mine). I don't see any of the things Nougat brings as making my Android experience any more satisfying, personally. I hope that once they release the official version on my phone, that most of the bugs will be worked out. My battery life is outstanding on my S7E. I'd be upset if they messed that up in a rush to get different looking icons.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I have an S2 and it did work out of the gate.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Apparently Samsung is now working with Verizon with the updates. This blows for us! We'll get update 3 when everyone else is on 5.

Samsung must've left something in that Verizon can monetize. Because my expereince with the first 2 Betas has been very good.

beri

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Now I notice, again on Verizon, whenever I go into the Beta app I get the option to register. Previously when is go into the app I got the option to deregister. Kinda weird...

kbennett65

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the beta since yesterday and first impression is pretty good. I have some "lag" opening a few things, particularly the app manager seems slow to respond. I actually prefer the old version of always on as the night clock on the edge would show the alarm time I had set while this update shows the date instead. As far as I can tell there is no way change what appears on this. An option to choose what information is shown on the night clock beyond just choosing right or left edge would be nice.

The only compatibility issue I have run across is with my preferred Go products: I use Go Launcher which is working fine, some of the transitions options aren't there anymore but that is certainly not a big deal. I have experienced no problems [yet] with GoSMS which is good as I use that for my default messenger.

Go Locker is working fine, though it's a good thing I had my lock screen security set to none because the option to change that won't work as my phone refuses to recognize my fingerprint and I have no earthly clue what my back up password is. If anybody has a clue how to recover it please let me know!

Go Weather was working fine until I installed an update lat night, now the widget won't load, I get a "GoWeather unexpected error" notification every time. As I figure this is a Go Weather issue after their update I have contacted the developer to make them aware of the problem.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Seems to me Nougat is largely a wasted opportunity.

There seems to be very little new, much of it being small changes in looks, not all good.

Still not a fully featured AOD, no new audio settings, no apparent improvement in battery performance, no new screen White Balance adjustment (removed). They have given us a call screen that changes colour ... erm, yes.

All in all this seems disappointingly thinly featured for a new OS. I like to think that more effort has been spent on underlying security. Perhaps they made it easier for manufacturers to embed crxxxware which we can't get rid of?

Awaiting the final release but I am certainly not in a rush to change on the basis of what I've seen.

This is a very poor list of the actual features of Nougat. Here's a short list of the improvements:

Seamless updates
Better security (Major upgrade here on multiple fronts, including file based encryption and directboot)
UI improvements
Much better battery life
DayDream (for devices that meet minimum qualifications)
Improvements to multi-tasking, including native split screen
Drag & Drop Text + Major improvements to the ability to add content through the keyboard
Improved notifications (UI)
Quick replies from notifications
Notification controls
Better Quick Settings
Major improvements to settings UI
Better data saver controls
Major improvements to accessibility features
Improved keyboard, including more functionality for multiple languages
Display customization options
Device migration improvements and major improvements to Android Backup
Huge improvements to JIT and ART

Think I ran out of the most obvious things, but most of it was under the hood, makings either easier, faster, smoother or more intuitive through UI cues, etc.

Or did I misunderstand and you're saying that Samsung's version of Nougat isn't up to par, rather than Nougat itself?

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if anyone what mentioned this. I just got the beta a couple days ago. Since then when my alarm goes off in the morning, the screen doesn't wake up. When I wake the screen up, it is like hitting the snooze button. It takes me 30 minutes to finally get it to quit

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if anyone what mentioned this. I just got the beta a couple days ago. Since then when my alarm goes off in the morning, the screen doesn't wake up. When I wake the screen up, it is like hitting the snooze button. It takes me 30 minutes to finally get it to quit
My alarm was left alone after the update and it still works and looks mostly the same. After I hit the snooze, the screen lights up for a few seconds, then shuts off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC