No help from Samsung.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I recently cracked the back glass on my S7 Edge. I'm not sure when or how it happened because I've never dropped it. I didn't have a case on it, just a clear skin. I just tried contacting Samsung to find out how much and how long it would take to have it repaired. A "business concern" or some other nonsense has led them to suspend all out of warranty repairs. So they won't even take my money for the repair. After 2 Note 7 recalls and not being able to get my current phone repaired through the OEM (when it's been out for less than a year) is just bad business imo.

thunderbomb

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking of going to get an iPhone today. I've had some issues over the past 3 weeks with stuff acting up on my s7 edge.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of going to get an iPhone today. I've had some issues over the past 3 weeks with stuff acting up on my s7 edge.

Mine, other than some small odd bugs on the Nougat beta is doing fine functionally. I just find it absurd they won't fix something that would make them money. Especially on their most recent flagship model. TBH though, I've not been entirely sold on the Edge since getting it. I got it reluctantly after the Note 7 discontinuation.

I've thought about going back to iPhone, but I recently ordered a new MacBook Pro because my current one's hard drive is failing. I'm not sure if I can swing a new laptop and phone at the same time. Especially since my Edge is functional.

I can say this though, I was already hesitant to stick with Samsung after the 2 Note 7's. This is probably it for me. When I honestly think about it, the display is the only thing that I truly love about the Edge. I really like Samsung Pay, but I don't consider it a must have. Everything else I can get in another phone at this point.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I recently cracked the back glass on my S7 Edge. I'm not sure when or how it happened because I've never dropped it. I didn't have a case on it, just a clear skin. I just tried contacting Samsung to find out how much and how long it would take to have it repaired. A "business concern" or some other nonsense has led them to suspend all out of warranty repairs. So they won't even take my money for the repair. After 2 Note 7 recalls and not being able to get my current phone repaired through the OEM (when it's been out for less than a year) is just bad business imo.

Yep. That's about par for the course with Samsung. I spent hours of my time dealing with customer support, shipping my device, following up, escalating my issue and ultimately obtaining a refund on a faulty device. I understand that you just want to get your device fixed and anyone would want to. Its not like you're asking for a freebie. It seems like the Note 7 recall has thrown the whole mobile division (manufacturing, support, parts, repair) into a tailspin.

A bunch of people went from the Note 7 to the S7 Edge. Add that to the number of people who were already going to buy an Edge and its an unexpected increase. They've been focusing on making the Blue Coral variant available to boost sales as well.

IMO, I'm done with glass back devices. Samsung has sacrificed repairability to make a great looking device. The S7Edge is literally wrapped in curved glass and repairing it must be a nightmare. While we applaud their attention to detail and premium aesthetics, we often frown at the frailty. Good luck.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yep. That's about par for the course with Samsung. I spent hours of my time dealing with customer support, shipping my device, following up, escalating my issue and ultimately obtaining a refund on a faulty device. I understand that you just want to get your device fixed and anyone would want to. Its not like you're asking for a freebie. It seems like the Note 7 recall has thrown the whole mobile division (manufacturing, support, parts, repair) into a tailspin.

A bunch of people went from the Note 7 to the S7 Edge. Add that to the number of people who were already going to buy an Edge and its an unexpected increase. They've been focusing on making the Blue Coral variant available to boost sales as well.

IMO, I'm done with glass back devices. Samsung has sacrificed repairability to make a great looking device. The S7Edge is literally wrapped in curved glass and repairing it must be a nightmare. While we applaud their attention to detail and premium aesthetics, we often frown at the frailty. Good luck.

What's bugging me is that it's the back glass. It's more like the 2.5d glass that so many OEMs use for their displays. It's not like they're not already manufacturing them.

I have no problem buying another glass backed phone. I had 4 iPhones that had either complete or partial glass backs. I never shattered any of them. Even if I cracked one and wanted to pay out of pocket to have it replaced Apple would have done it. I can't think of any company that flat out wouldn't repair a device for money that's still in it's life cycle. If it weren't still in production I'd completely understand.

Or maybe I'm just mad that I cracked it and haven't settled down yet. Ha!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow .. that sucks :(. I wonder why they are suspending it? First time I have heard of them doing that but nonetheless doesn't make sense as to why.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow .. that sucks :(. I wonder why they are suspending it? First time I have heard of them doing that but nonetheless doesn't make sense as to why.

The only explanation he gave me was that it was due to "business conditions". The weird thing was he asked my location to find out if there was a Samsung walk-in repair center I could go to. Presumably they'll still repair them there. He didn't tell me about the business conditions excuse until after he found out I didn't live near one.

Also, I did want to make clear it's just for out of warranty repairs. Something that would be covered under normal warranty would've been repaired. The rep was nice enough, but it's poor customer service in general that they would do this. Just seems if anything since the S7/S7 Edge is their top of the line device they would up customer care if anything after what happened with the Note 7.

FCSC

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
The only explanation he gave me was that it was due to "business conditions". The weird thing was he asked my location to find out if there was a Samsung walk-in repair center I could go to. Presumably they'll still repair them there. He didn't tell me about the business conditions excuse until after he found out I didn't live near one.

Also, I did want to make clear it's just for out of warranty repairs. Something that would be covered under normal warranty would've been repaired. The rep was nice enough, but it's poor customer service in general that they would do this. Just seems if anything since the S7/S7 Edge is their top of the line device they would up customer care if anything after what happened with the Note 7.

Not sure where you are, but I went to they shop in NYC.... its a disaster.... no one picks up the phone or replies to voicemails. Had a friend show up first thing in the morning to get his S7 edge front screen replaced for like $240 or so, was quoted 2 hours.. they weren't finished at the end of the day and he had to go back the next day to get it... when it was done at 4PM.

This is my first samsung device, and I was going to have mine repaired at the center.. but I think i'll just risk it with a replacement from Assurian.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I prefer Android OS, the Google ecosystem of apps, and ability to customize, but want iPhone simplicity in terms of hardware and repairability.

My wife's iPhone 6 screen shattered and I took it to a shop. The guy literally swapped it out in 10 minutes and as I watch, I realized it was something that I could do. Screens crack, that is a fact. The ability to replace a cracked display on the fly is a bonus for owning a device. The problem with these IP68 devices is that they're sealed with waterproof glue and tape.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where you are, but I went to they shop in NYC.... its a disaster.... no one picks up the phone or replies to voicemails. Had a friend show up first thing in the morning to get his S7 edge front screen replaced for like $240 or so, was quoted 2 hours.. they weren't finished at the end of the day and he had to go back the next day to get it... when it was done at 4PM.

This is my first samsung device, and I was going to have mine repaired at the center.. but I think i'll just risk it with a replacement from Assurian.

I'm in Ga. I actually talked to a local place that said it wouldn't cost very much to replace the back. He didn't want to give me a quote until he sees it to make sure it's not damaged around the frame. If it's not too expensive I'm thinking about getting it fixed and trading it in for something else. I like it, but I'm just not thrilled with the Edge.

This is my first Samsung as well. Actually it's my third if you include the 2 Note 7's I barely got to use before I had to power them down. I think the reason I'm not completely sold on the Edge is that it's close to the Note 7, but just enough to make me realize and miss my Note 7. I wonder if I'd just be happier with something completely different.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I prefer Android OS, the Google ecosystem of apps, and ability to customize, but want iPhone simplicity in terms of hardware and repairability.

My wife's iPhone 6 screen shattered and I took it to a shop. The guy literally swapped it out in 10 minutes and as I watch, I realized it was something that I could do. Screens crack, that is a fact. The ability to replace a cracked display on the fly is a bonus for owning a device. The problem with these IP68 devices is that they're sealed with waterproof glue and tape.

I like both OSes a good bit and can use either and be happy. Sometimes I think iOS might be a better fit for me overall b/c I use macOS and have an AppleTV. The way all those work together is nice. At this point my two biggest gripes with iPhone are hardware related. I want a display as nice as Samsung's and a smaller footprint for the Plus model. It feels too big to me for the screen size. I had the 6S Plus for a year. While I got used to the width, it just never felt comfortable to hold.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

From what I see, it seems dependent per country. I mean here (I'm in SEA), nearly every single shopping mall has a Samsung Center I could go to and have my phone repaired. They'll accept the unit and I come back when it's fixed. Seems the same in Europe too (UK), with the CPW shops. The US branches seems to have the weirdest excuses as far as I see based on these forums.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I went by CPR today. It's a chain (franchise I believe) that ordered the back for me. It's gonna be $45 to fix it. They should have the part tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Just an update:

I got the back fixed from CPR. The thing is though, they didn't tell me in advance they don't use OEM parts. So now I have a solid black glass on the back. It's not cracked, but there goes the resale value. I doubt TMo will take it as a trade-in either. The guy acted like I was ridiculous for seeming unhappy with their service. I guess it wouldn't matter so much if I were definitely keeping it, but I told him the reason I was having it replaced is so I could trade it in or sell if that's what I decided to do. You'd think he'd mention that before he ordered the part when I specifically told him I was thinking of not keeping it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
That's something they should tell a customer before they order the part. That sucks.

I thought so as well. The manager of the store just emailed me because I left a poor review. I didn't plan on even leaving one at all, but they sent me an email asking for a review. So I left one Ha! I guess they didn't like what I had to say.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought so as well. The manager of the store just emailed me because I left a poor review. I didn't plan on even leaving one at all, but they sent me an email asking for a review. So I left one Ha! I guess they didn't like what I had to say.
Oh well. Your complaint will make them consider telling the customers upfront how they will handle the repairs.