Whatsapp continues to save photos even after I've turned it off

DroidRageYo

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm having this issue in that whatsapp saves all the photos and videos from threads even after I told it not to.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Droid

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Whatsapp doesn't have an option not to save media. You can turn off auto-downloads, but the moment you download a picture or video from a thread or send one, it's automatically saved to Whatsapp's Media folders.

DroidRageYo

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Whatsapp doesn't have an option not to save media. You can turn off auto-downloads, but the moment you download a picture or video from a thread or send one, it's automatically saved to Whatsapp's Media folders.

It's autosave that's bugged then. Because I don't download them and they are stored automatically.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure all the right options are set up? (only auto-download when charging, on Wi-Fi, etc.)? I have no issues on mine. Only the images I download are saved.

Also, remember that just viewing an image in a thread counts as 'downloading'. If they are being auto-downloaded, whenever someone sends an image you'll see a very clear preview, but if it's not downloaded, you'll see a very blurry semi-preview.

DroidRageYo

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Are you sure all the right options are set up? (only auto-download when charging, on Wi-Fi, etc.)? I have no issues on mine. Only the images I download are saved.

Also, remember that just viewing an image in a thread counts as 'downloading'. If they are being auto-downloaded, whenever someone sends an image you'll see a very clear preview, but if it's not downloaded, you'll see a very blurry semi-preview.

I swear this is a "new" problem.

All my settings say "no media".

Not sure where else I could be missing a setting.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mmm... I do see a pending update. Let me do that and I'll report back in a couple of hours once I get a picture from someone else.

In the meantime, are the images you're receiving showing up as clear thumbnails in your conversations even if you don't 'tap' them to view?

DroidRageYo

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Mmm... I do see a pending update. Let me do that and I'll report back in a couple of hours once I get a picture from someone else.

In the meantime, are the images you're receiving showing up as clear thumbnails in your conversations even if you don't 'tap' them to view?

i'm not sure what happens if I don't tap them. I will try this. Seems silly that looking at them equates to downloading..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, yeah, if you're tapping them to view them that's downloading. Only if you don't view them, then they don't auto-download if your settings are right. And that's not a bug, it's a design decision on Whatsapp's team (a dumb one, IMHO). Once upon a time you could see a clear thumbnail of the image even if you didn't download it for viewing, so that helped sort out which pictures were worth downloading and which ones were just crap you wouldn't use again (I'm looking at you, Memes).

DroidRageYo

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Oh, yeah, if you're tapping them to view them that's downloading. Only if you don't view them, then they don't auto-download if your settings are right. And that's not a bug, it's a design decision on Whatsapp's team (a dumb one, IMHO). Once upon a time you could see a clear thumbnail of the image even if you didn't download it for viewing, so that helped sort out which pictures were worth downloading and which ones were just crap you wouldn't use again (I'm looking at you, Memes).

Ahh ok thanks for the help man :)