Galaxy S7 Edge WiFi Turning Off and On Repeatedly

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've just realised I'm having the same issue, turning off wifi scanning did fix it, but like others have said this is a workaround. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update.

G_M_2

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Great! The first solution worked, and then I forgot the 5G wifi connection, set the original setting back on, and wifi is still connected. For me it is the 5G wifi I think. Thank you so much

zrene

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue. I found a way to fix it temporarily by clicking on "Wi-Fi Direct" and going back (under Settings->wifi).

ndn_native

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Disabling Wi-Fi scanning worked for me too. Now my Wi-Fi stays on & I can connect to an SSID. Hopefully my battery drain will stop now too.

Dfried81

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
No other previous fix mentions in this post is working for my S7 Edge through VZW. This is the only one that worked so far...hitting Wifi Direct really fast, and then hitting the back button. Samsung needs to get their sh-t together

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I may have the same problem with my Verizon Note 5. The past few weeks have noticed problems connecting to home WiFi (no other devices in the house have a problem), and rapid battery drain and phone getting noticeably warm while at work (not the best signal given large building and many other people competing for signal, but its been relatively way worse recently).

The drain has been so bad that I have to start recharging around 1400, where in the past under normal usage patterns did not have to go back on charger till 2200 or later. Since I only have a USB cable at work, the charge rate vs. drain is barely enough to regain some battery life, and definitely have to charge in the vehicle on the drive home.

I have location services set to GPS only, and interestingly I don't see a Location option in the "Privacy and safety" settings. Maybe Verizon removed that feature?

To connect to home WiFi upon return from work or out and about, have to toggle Airplane Mode several times to work around the WiFi turning itself off and on automatically. Sometimes WiFi is dropped randomly. Again no problems until the last few weeks, and have tried the Cache Wipe and power down/up cycle multiple times. To this point all of those workaround have been temporary.

The other problem I've noticed along with the above heating and rapid battery drain is garbled or rapid skipping during music playback. This is using the default Samsung Music app with media storage locally. The music playback problem started around the same time as the heating and rapid battery drain.

I've had this Note 5 since last October, so wondering if it's starting to fail and is being impacted by the apparent WiFi switching issue at the same time.

Vlad Milenski

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with my S7edge. I tried resetting the network settings and it worked: Settings -> Backup and Reset -> Reset network settings.
After a couple of days without a problem, the issue reappear with no obvious cause, so I did the same resetting network settings and it worked again.
All in all, three times for the last 2 weeks.
I am waiting for the update.

GregCT2010

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, sort of.
My connection issue is limited to my home wifi (Motorola SGB6850 Modem/Router in one). Connects fine to work (2 seperate networks), Xfinity on the telephone pole outside the house, Dunkin, McD's and any other number of free wifi's around town. The weirder part is the wife's S7Edge bought at the same time, has no issues with the connection. Set side my side, hers rocks on, mine constantly connects, says there's no internet available, disconnects...
The only think I haven't done, yet, is the full factory reset, kind of worried that it might break the wifi connections that are working....

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just tried the "Reset network settings" option, and rejoined home Wi-Fi. Prior to rejoining home WiFi ran a Speedtest and got 43.7Mbps down, 11.25 up.

Will see if this makes a difference at work tomorrow for mobile signal and battery drain, along with not seeing the constant Wi-Fi on/off toggling and problems joining home Wi-Fi after returning from work.

Yesterday when out around town in various locations Speedtest results were at best 13.73 up and 12.38 down. Signal strength was likely varied at the different locations, particularly with many people in the same area. Earlier this year was able to get 74.70 Mbps down 11.97 up at home. Realize that there have been a few OS updates since then, and that Verizon network variances among other factors can influence results.

anon(10119014)

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I dont have
"Connection Optimizer"
"Smart WiFi".

I do have
everything in wireless turned off
including the smart network switch
Under privacy wifi scanning is off as well as bluetooth

none of the fixes work

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just tried the "Reset network settings" option, and rejoined home Wi-Fi. Prior to rejoining home WiFi ran a Speedtest and got 43.7Mbps down, 11.25 up.

Will see if this makes a difference at work tomorrow for mobile signal and battery drain, along with not seeing the constant Wi-Fi on/off toggling and problems joining home Wi-Fi after returning from work.

Yesterday when out around town in various locations Speedtest results were at best 13.73 up and 12.38 down. Signal strength was likely varied at the different locations, particularly with many people in the same area. Earlier this year was able to get 74.70 Mbps down 11.97 up at home. Realize that there have been a few OS updates since then, and that Verizon network variances among other factors can influence results.

The "Reset network settings option" did not work. Finally did a Factory Reset (after backing up data). Problems I was encountering before are resolved thus far.

GregCT2010

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Even the full factory reset did nothing for me, turned out the whole problem was an error on the router side. Once the DHCP server released and renewed all the 'connection licenses' (for lack of a better term) all has been fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781