Galaxy S7 Edge (AT&T) automatically connecting to ChromeCast device

brianchris

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife recently got a new Galaxy S7 Edge (AT&T branded), and it seems to have a small (but still frustrating) bug (or perhaps a "feature"): When another family member (on the same home WiFi network, of course) is currently casting/using the ChromeCast, and then my wife goes to watch a YouTube video, the person originally using the ChromeCast is disconnected (because my wife's phone seemingly automatically connected to the ChromeCast device), and my wife's YouTube video is sent to the ChromeCast, where she can't see it (because she is often in another room).

No other family members' Android smartphones seem to have this problem, and my wife's previous phone (Galaxy S4) did not have this problem, so clearly it is a problem with that make and model smartphone. If that is true though, then other owner's of that smartphone probably have the problem as well (whether they know it, or not). Has anyone else had this problem? My hope is there is just some ChromeCast "auto-connect" option, that is usually disabled in Android, but in the (latest/current) ROM for the Galaxy S7 Edge (AT&T branded) has that option enabled, and I simply need to disable it. If it matters, the ChromeCast device involved is a 2nd generation one (i.e. not the ChromeCast Ultra, and not the 1st generation Chromecast).

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Shadowpdx

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I saw a post in the Chromecast forum mentioning this very problem. Could be a setting on the YouTube app. I reached the forum thru the app that control Comcast.......Apps -> Home -> Help and Feedback. You can do a search on "Disabling Automatic Casting"

brianchris

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I saw a post in the Chromecast forum mentioning this very problem. Could be a setting on the YouTube app. I reached the forum thru the app that control Comcast.......Apps -> Home -> Help and Feedback. You can do a search on "Disabling Automatic Casting"

Shadowpdx,

Thank you so much for your reply to my question! Your suggestion led me to the solution to my problem. Specifically, for anyone else that comes across this thread in the future, here is the link to the post in Google's own Chromecast Forum: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/00b79rIKacA

Within that thread, user "jilllG" posted a link to an article that was the solution to my problem, and that article is here: Google Play services v10 can show a notification with player controls anytime a device on the network is Casting [APK Download]

Basically, a recent update to Google Play Services (to version 10) on Android devices introduced a feature where other users on the same WiFi network are notified if someone else is using a Chromecast device at the moment (and which device they are using), and/or that recent Google Play Services update enabled such notifications to be turned on by default. The solution was to turn those notifications off on all of my family's devices (including my own), and instructions on how to do that are provided in the last link I provided above.

Thanks again Shadowpdx for pointing me in the right direction!

MomoMilky

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out why my dad's phone (Note 4) kept getting notified when I was casting a video on my phone (Note 4). It was SO annoying. He thought he was getting hacked at first haha!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance