Lag City on New S7 Edge

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
FYi, to for those people, like me, who have had the wifi scanning bug, check your phone after a few days. Today is the 3rd time i have had to go to location settings and turn off wifi scanning. Somehow magically it keeps turning its self on. not cool Samsung.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had the S7edge since day one and own pretty much ever S and Note series there is.. The S7e lags. It lagged more than when I had my Note7. That being said, I think it has more to do with the apps that are installed and it's hard to say. I don't think it's a defect. If you have 3 or 4 apps open in the background - I think it's a big part of exactly what apps you have running in the background.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay. That must be normal for S7 Edge phones then. I know have multiple reports confirming CPU usage on snapdragon @ idle is around 30 to 35%. I still think this is crazy high but I guess that's Samsungs world?

My 6p with the same app runs at around 2% CPU Usage. That is crazy!!
That is pure madness!

My Exynos S7E drops very low in CPU usage, with all kinds of apps in RAM, incl. Tapatalk, FB, Premier League app, Instagram, Snapchat, Opera Mini, Samsung Web Browser etc... When idle it hits 7%
f60dc4a0773f9b8c72c61d913a67c44e.jpg

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your definition of lag. If you want instantaneous response, stock Android is the way to go. Samsung has put more animations in the phone than stock, plus the overlay so there will be a slight slower response. Personally my definition of lag is 'no response' or 'stuttering response'. And the S7 doesn't stutter. Personally I like the hardware on the S7 but use Nova Launcher on it, eliminating the 'natural' slower response of TouchWiz launcher.

Also I have to point out that I am using an Exynos version of the S7 Edge. Various speedtests and benchmarking sites have shown faster than the Snapdragon versions in the US. Here's a video that shows on the same taskset, the Exynos can finish up to 40secs faster than the Snapdragons in the US have...

https://youtu.be/233f0ewFWGk
Quick question, do Snapdragons still do Hotplugging? I believe that was the issue that caused lag in them. I have owned mostly Exynos Samsungs from S2 I9100, S3 I9300, S4 I9500, and then S7 Edge Exynos, the only Snapdragon Samsung I have had was the Note 4, and it did lag a bit more than the Exynos Note 4, the Exynos Note 4 was smoother and ran cooler.

I like Qualcomm, they set a high bar with the Snapdragon 800 a few years ago, but they seem to continue to have some legacy issues, especially in Samsungs. I think TouchWiz is built from the ground up with Exynos in mind, and then the Snapdragon is almost an after-thought, hence the issues.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Quick question, do Snapdragons still do Hotplugging? I believe that was the issue that caused lag in them. I have owned mostly Exynos Samsungs from S2 I9100, S3 I9300, S4 I9500, and then S7 Edge Exynos, the only Snapdragon Samsung I have had was the Note 4, and it did lag a bit more than the Exynos Note 4, the Exynos Note 4 was smoother and ran cooler.

I like Qualcomm, they set a high bar with the Snapdragon 800 a few years ago, but they seem to continue to have some legacy issues, especially in Samsungs. I think TouchWiz is built from the ground up with Exynos in mind, and then the Snapdragon is almost an after-thought, hence the issues.
Well Snapdragons are only used because of US and China carriers who insist on CDMA. The rest of the world is using Exynos. So yeah, you're assumption about it is probably right.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
That being said, I think it has more to do with the apps that are installed and it's hard to say. I don't think it's a defect. If you have 3 or 4 apps open in the background - I think it's a big part of exactly what apps you have running in the background.
Could be. I'm not a gamer and don't do social media from my phone, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing any lag in mine. But I didn't have any more apps on my Note 7 than I do my S7E and it was laggy. Could be there it was because it was the Gen2 phone they were trying to get to not start on fire though, I suppose.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Okay. That must be normal for S7 Edge phones then. I know have multiple reports confirming CPU usage on snapdragon @ idle is around 30 to 35%. I still think this is crazy high but I guess that's Samsungs world?

My 6p with the same app runs at around 2% CPU Usage. That is crazy!!

No WONDER WHY my battery life is garbage and drain per hour is 6-15% typically. With my old Lumia 920 windows phone, it was a pretty consistent 4% or less per hour. If only MS hadn't dropped the ball on mobile a couple years back :(

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
So I just changed the settings in Simple System Monitor to turn off "More accurate RAM usage" and now I'm hovering around 5-15% CPU usage at idle

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
No WONDER WHY my battery life is garbage and drain per hour is 6-15% typically. With my old Lumia 920 windows phone, it was a pretty consistent 4% or less per hour. If only MS hadn't dropped the ball on mobile a couple years back :(

That is not the cause. Mine also shows the same percentage of CPU, and only drops %2 over a 7 hour night.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
That is not the cause. Mine also shows the same percentage of CPU, and only drops %2 over a 7 hour night.

That's because of Doze dude. Of course it only drains a couple percent over night. I'm talking about during the day. I couldn't care less what battery drain is over night. That's when I charge my phone anyway.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
That's because of Doze dude. Of course it only drains a couple percent over night. I'm talking about during the day. I couldn't care less what battery drain is over night. That's when I charge my phone anyway.

That's true, of course. You didn't specify when the drain you talked about happened, so I assumed at night. Didn't mean to offend. Have you tried it unplugged over night after it hits 100%? Might be educational.

At any rate, mine does not use anywhere near 6-15% per hour during the day, either. I am averaging 1.5% per hour so far today, for example. And I'd say that's about typical for my use.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That's true, of course. You didn't specify when the drain you talked about happened, so I assumed at night. Didn't mean to offend. Have you tried it unplugged over night after it hits 100%? Might be educational.

At any rate, mine does not use anywhere near 6-15% per hour during the day, either. I am averaging 1.5% per hour so far today, for example. And I'd say that's about typical for my use.
I average anywhere between 3-16% per hour. Online games and stuff. War Robots can be such a battery eater.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The honest truth... The S7 Edge lags mainly only under these conditions:

1) While apps are updating
2) While connecting to Bluetooth
3) While connecting a charger.
4) While typing.

And of course it doesn't lag all the time during those situations or else I'd be ******** constantly haha. Those are just the one times that it does lag. And generally speaking, it's been the closest to lag free of any Android phone I've ever owned.

NOW, here is the important part.

All Android phones will eventually lag after system updates. I don't care what ANYONE on this forum says. Especially when going to a new version number. Forget it. Your phone is now a ticking time bomb that will eventually become a laggy, unfixable mess no matter how many system restores you do.

Now I haven't rooted and messed with custom ROMs in a while... But back then, it was the same thing. As soon as you cross the line into new version numbers... Your phone is toast. It's just gonna be a constant hassle until the day you get a new phone. It just is. I have had:

G1, G2, Mytouch 4G Slide, HTC One X, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 3, Note 4, Moto X Pure, S7 Edge.

I'd say at this point I can definitive say that I am right about this. Every single one of them became a laggy shadow of its former self after a major system update. Also, using SD cards will make the issues worse. Also, installing custom ROMs only makes things better because by the time issues arise, you were already about to wipe and flash another custom ROM anyway. If you had waited another week or two everything would have become a mess.

That being said, I love Android, and not like I'd ever get an iPhone... Plus, one look at an Apple forum tells you that no matter how holier than thou they all try to act, their iPhone's are just as bad, if not worse haha.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Got the Carol blue new from bestbuy on Nov 24th and the thing is laggy, especially when ideal for some time and I try to open a notification from the lock screen.

I might be just spoiled coming from Nexus 6p. That Sucker never hesitated no matter how much I abuse it.

I hardly have 3 or 4 apps open in the background, but this stutter and lag is so annoying.
I don't feel any lag when I'm using the phone and multitasking. But as soon as I set it down for few minutes and come back to it, it hesitates and lags as I start using it.

Is that normal?

How many Edge panels are you running? I found that they were slowing it down. Even when I was only running like 3 of them. I had also read somewhere that even though they were a feature of the phone, it did create lag.

Between the lag and the Wi-Fi bug, I ended up getting a Pixel XL.

buwee

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
ya got all the samsung nut jobs all worked up man good job lol,,, ok lets just pretend the s7 edge doesnt lagg, everyone happy? 6p lags, pixels laggs, samsung is king, no lagg.

Actually, I have the 6p, the Pixel & the S7E and honestly don't see much difference, if any in speed or performance at all for everyday tasks. I don't do gaming so I wouldn't know if there will be differences in performance for that.

Mexico619

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a S7 Edge for a while but the lag just got unbearable. It would lag everytime I connected to Bluetooth or WiFi and battery was terrible. I got a Moto Z Play not and my God it's the fastest phone I have ever had. No lag on it whatsoever. Yes I know specs are different, but battery and the software on this is fantastic. Only thing I miss is the camera from the S7 edge and water resistant, but it's not worth the cost. I'll take a look at the S8 when it's announced.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The honest truth... The S7 Edge lags mainly only under these conditions:

1) While apps are updating
2) While connecting to Bluetooth
3) While connecting a charger.
4) While typing.

And of course it doesn't lag all the time during those situations or else I'd be ******** constantly haha. Those are just the one times that it does lag. And generally speaking, it's been the closest to lag free of any Android phone I've ever owned.

NOW, here is the important part.

All Android phones will eventually lag after system updates. I don't care what ANYONE on this forum says. Especially when going to a new version number. Forget it. Your phone is now a ticking time bomb that will eventually become a laggy, unfixable mess no matter how many system restores you do.

Now I haven't rooted and messed with custom ROMs in a while... But back then, it was the same thing. As soon as you cross the line into new version numbers... Your phone is toast. It's just gonna be a constant hassle until the day you get a new phone. It just is. I have had:

G1, G2, Mytouch 4G Slide, HTC One X, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 3, Note 4, Moto X Pure, S7 Edge.

I'd say at this point I can definitive say that I am right about this. Every single one of them became a laggy shadow of its former self after a major system update. Also, using SD cards will make the issues worse.
I wonder if it's more app related. That would certainly happen with my 6P as I took the bleeding edge updates that Google phones get. Many apps would become problematic and cause issues with the phone, until I either deleted them or the developer updated them for the new release. The hardest part can be figuring out exactly which app is causing the issue, especially if you don't have root.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I average anywhere between 3-16% per hour. Online games and stuff. War Robots can be such a battery eater.
I don't play any hardcore games, so don't get that kind of drain. But your battery life does not sound too bad if you're gaming and seeing even a 16% loss an hour. That's over 6 hours of SOT time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz