Problems with Unlocking on o2

Nick Parr

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I have just purchased a second hand Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which is locked to O2. My daughter is an O2 pay monthly customer so I used her simcard to link the handset to her account in Myo2. Then I utilised the unlock device button on the web page. 48 hours later I had a Network unlock code for my device. Upon putting in a non O2 simcard I got the Unlock Pin entry screen, entered the unlock code, only to be told "Network Unlock Unsuccessful" tried again with the same result. Decided not to try again as had been warned that 3 times unsuccessful would freeze phone unlock process. Contacted an O2 guru via web chat to be informed that I should reorder the code, as it would be a different code and would 'probably' work. At the time I also got the mck 'unfreeze' code from the guru in case of any future freeze problems. I tried entering the unfreeze code then pressing Network Unlock button prior to entering the original supplied network unlock code but got the same Network Unlock unsuccessful result. After a few days the second O2 code came through but it was just the same manufacturers code as the first one that I already have as I don't think that each IMEI has multitudes of different ones. I have since been back on to O2 gurus on network chat and after being passed backwards and forwards between the Monthly Contract Team and the PAYG team - it ended up with them basically saying that they couldn't help me as the only option I have have is to go back to the original purchaser of the phone on PAYG.This is not an option. I bought the phone from a Facebook listing and he had been using it on Giff Gaff since January 2016 when he bought it from a Gumtree purchase. I then contacted a web based mobile unlocker and they checked for me but said that there was nothing that they could do as I already had the correct Samsung manufacturers Network unlock and unfreeze codes.The phone is not blacklisted or anything and has a clear Checkmend report.

1) The IMEI supplied to O2 was the correct IMEI - the Myo2 website dragged the IMEI from the phone OTA when it was registered on My O2 . This IMEI tallies with the IMEI shown on the phone box, the IMEI shown in settings/about phone, and the IMEI shown when you carry out the 06 shortcut on dialpad.

2) The phone has not been rooted and is running O 2 branded stock firmware G935FXXU1BPHJ.

3) In between inputting the rejected Network unlock code I turned the phone off and back on again before trying the unfreeze code followed again byt the Network unlock code - in all cases the response was "Network Unlock Request Unsuccessful"

4) I have reset the phone to factory settings but have exactly the same result.

5) The phone will run and make calls fine on any o2 sim or derivatives such as tesco or giffgaff.

Can you wizards there suggest anything?? My natural stubborness is to find the way to unlock it but I fear I will end up reselling it as locked to o2.

Thanks in advance

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you don't have O2 firmware on the device which is why the unlock code isn't working. You can find O2 firmware here https://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-G935F/region/O2U/ Nothing matches yours.
The firmware you have is likely to be the unbranded version https://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-G935F/page/7 (see here)
To get the unlock code to work you will need to flash the O2 firmware. Once you have done that you can revert to non-branded firmware so you don't have the carrier's bloatware.

Nick Parr

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Seems like you don't have O2 firmware on the device which is why the unlock code isn't working. You can find O2 firmware here https://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-G935F/region/O2U/ Nothing matches yours.
The firmware you have is likely to be the unbranded version https://samsung-firmware.org/model/SM-G935F/page/7 (see here)
To get the unlock code to work you will need to flash the O2 firmware. Once you have done that you can revert to non-branded firmware so you don't have the carrier's bloatware.

Nick Parr

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Sorry - my bad - the firmware is now showing as the first one on the O2 list you linked to G935FXXU1BPJE. Although I suspect this has come up as a new firmware version because it auto updated a few moments ago. Before that it was showing as the one I originally posted which was fifth one on your list from your second link G935FXXU1BPHJ. I am doing a factory reset on this new firmware to see whether it makes any difference to the unlocking progress .Will keep you posted.

Last edited:

Nick Parr

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Have just done a factory reset and it still seems not to be accepting the manufacturers unlock code. The Baseband version is showing as G935FXXU1BPJE, the build# as MMB29K.G935FXXU1BPJE and the kernel as 3.18.14-9519568 dpi@SWHD4913#1. The dialer shortcut in your link article starting *#1973 doesnt seem to work on the s7 edge it just says no network when you dial it into the dialer. Ive got the bleddy thing up for saleas locked to O2 now but that still won't stop me trying to find a solution over the next few days.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463