New s7 edge questions

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So Verizon had a deal too good to resist. S7 edge for $15/mo no trade in required.I held off upgrading my trusty ole s4 because the newer in the line took away the ext. sd card. I really would have loved to try the Pixel, but the no sd card is a deal breaker for me.

Anyhow, so I got the edge. My question today is, how are you guys setting it up to be able to hold it and not have the fleshy part of your thumb or side of your hand not touch and launch the app close to the curved edge. I use nova launcher and set it for 6x6 icon layout and only use 5 icons across. But it seems strange to me to have to do this.

Also, are you guys having trouble hitting the keys on the right and left sides of the kb and not getting wrong keys? Especially with 1's? I use Swype kb but for pw's etc, have to type individual digits.

I have 14 days to see if I want to keep it or back to my trusty old s4

Any compelling arguments either way?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
So Verizon had a deal too good to resist. S7 edge for $15/mo no trade in required.I held off upgrading my trusty ole s4 because the newer in the line took away the ext. sd card. I really would have loved to try the Pixel, but the no sd card is a deal breaker for me.

Anyhow, so I got the edge. My question today is, how are you guys setting it up to be able to hold it and not have the fleshy part of your thumb or side of your hand not touch and launch the app close to the curved edge. I use nova launcher and set it for 6x6 icon layout and only use 5 icons across. But it seems strange to me to have to do this.

Also, are you guys having trouble hitting the keys on the right and left sides of the kb and not getting wrong keys? Especially with 1's? I use Swype kb but for pw's etc, have to type individual digits.

I have 14 days to see if I want to keep it or back to my trusty old s4

Any compelling arguments either way?
My wife had the S6 Edge and had a little trouble at first. Ultimately, it just takes getting used to in my opinion. I have the 128GB Pixel and have never had an Edge device. Just giving you the advice that she gave.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
My question today is, how are you guys setting it up to be able to hold it and not have the fleshy part of your thumb or side of your hand not touch and launch the app close to the curved edge. I use nova launcher and set it for 6x6 icon layout and only use 5 icons across. But it seems strange to me to have to do this.

I also use Nova, and I initially had some trouble with hitting the active edges. This is what worked for me.

First, I disabled the edge feature. It seems a bit gimmicky for me, and I wasn't using it. Additionally, I bought this phone for the screen and the battery, not the limited-use edge apps. I'll be all over it if Samsung can make the edges useful.
Second, I adjusted the width padding in Nova (NOVA SETTINGS/DESKTOP/WIDTH PADDING). I chose LARGE. That brought the icons in a bit from the edges.
Third, I use a five by five grid. I also have the icon size set to 90% (NOVA SETTINGS/DESKTOP/ICON LAYOUT). That also helps with bringing the active parts of the desktop icons in from the edges.
For the letters at the edge of the keyboard, that will just take some time for you to get used to it. A case helps. I have an Otterbox Commuter and a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Pro. Both add just a bit of space on the edges for me to grab without hitting the keyboard.

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I used your settings in Nova and going to try it for a while. Looks different but I think I can live with it until a new note comes out. I miss that phone.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought a "Speck - CandyShell Clear Case" from Best Buy for my S7E. Very nice fit and eliminates edge screen issues. Edge screen is still easy to use, though. Very pleased with it so far.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought one of them and it didn't fit the phone.
You sure you got the right one? The S7 is smaller than the S7 Edge, and those cases look the same. Plus it's made by Samsung, so it's highly unlikely it wont fit. Mine fits perfect.

0edbeb581c8ee289f88a1959633fb1e8.jpg

17320207613664b16ea76284a4509291.jpg

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I also use Nova, and I initially had some trouble with hitting the active edges. This is what worked for me.

First, I disabled the edge feature. It seems a bit gimmicky for me, and I wasn't using it. Additionally, I bought this phone for the screen and the battery, not the limited-use edge apps. I'll be all over it if Samsung can make the edges useful.
Second, I adjusted the width padding in Nova (NOVA SETTINGS/DESKTOP/WIDTH PADDING). I chose LARGE. That brought the icons in a bit from the edges.
Third, I use a five by five grid. I also have the icon size set to 90% (NOVA SETTINGS/DESKTOP/ICON LAYOUT). That also helps with bringing the active parts of the desktop icons in from the edges.
For the letters at the edge of the keyboard, that will just take some time for you to get used to it. A case helps. I have an Otterbox Commuter and a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Pro. Both add just a bit of space on the edges for me to grab without hitting the keyboard.

Ya disabled edge feature, stupid feature. I really wanted the regular s7 but the edge was a better deal

I'll play around with your setting suggestions a bit to see if it helps

Thanks
I have used and loved nova for years. Have it on my phone and 3 samsung tablets, and even tho it's a bit clunky, I use it on an Amazon fire

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
One of the things that I like best about Nova is that you can tweak just about everything. As a reminder, Nova has a backup and restore function. Make sure that once you find a layout that works for you, back it up. I also make a backup before I start messing with settings so I can restore what I had after I screw it up.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
You sure you got the right one? The S7 is smaller than the S7 Edge, and those cases look the same. Plus it's made by Samsung, so it's highly unlikely it wont fit. Mine fits perfect.

It's the right one but this is how my phone sits in it. Even if you push it down it always pops back up. Just on one side.

14l5a81.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs