All of a sudden, no auto cap after period in Gmail

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
When typing in Gmail I used to always get a auto capital letter to begin a new sentence after I typed a period, question mark, etc. I DO have this option turned on for the stock Samsung keyboard that I am using in the phone settings. It has always worked fine. Recently, however, it stopped working. I am on AT&T, my brother has an S7 Edge on Sprint an the same is happening on his phone, BUT - - it works fine on his LG V20. Any ideas? Did the new 11/30 Gmail update break something for just the S7 Edge? Frustrating!

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
When typing in Gmail I used to always get a auto capital letter to begin a new sentence after I typed a period, question mark, etc. I DO have this option turned on for the stock Samsung keyboard that I am using in the phone settings. It has always worked fine. Recently, however, it stopped working. I am on AT&T, my brother has an S7 Edge on Sprint an the same is happening on his phone, BUT - - it works fine on his LG V20. Any ideas? Did the new 11/30 Gmail update break something for just the S7 Edge? Frustrating!

Isn't that a keyboard thing? You're saying it only affects Gmail?

I just checked on my phone and everything functions normally but I'm using Swiftkey.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Strangely, yes, it seems to just be a Gmail thing. Typing a text message using the stock Samsung app still works fine (auto capitalization after the period).

Michelle VanFleet

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem, just started, and is only in gmail, no issues in texting either. ~?~ I have a galaxy s4, so it's not device driven. Unless it's affecting all Samsung products, but that seems unlikely. ...I have no answer, came here looking for one, but thought I'd mention since you though maybe it was S7 edge related. Odd

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This might be due to the latest update to Android System Webview. Updates to this app have caused issues with various keyboards in the past (on HTC, as well as Samsung phones). Go to the Play Store and look for Android System Webview, then tap Uninstall, which will revert it to the factory version. Does the problem go away? If so, don't update Android System Webview until the next time Google pushes an update (you can keep track in the Play Store's app page, where it tells you when it was last updated). Android System Webview is still important for security, so it's preferable to keep it as up to date as possible.