SOT greater than 6 hours

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Those of you that get over 6 hours SOT per charge, what's your setup?

Most I can get is 6-6.5 SOT. I use greenify (manual as the auto is being a pain), have Google Now and GPS tracking disabled, keep brightness on manual at 40-50% where possible, replaced Facebook with the lite version, google and Samsung backups synced, 2 email addresses through Gmail that sync at the least frequent option, keep data on but all other wireless connections off unless needed, have disabled all non essential apps and services through package disabler pro, wireless network scanning disabled and that's about all I can think of for now.

Wondering how I can improve on this as I see some people getting crazy screen on times of 8-9 hours and I can't make sense of how they're doing it.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't know what version phone you are using but my Exynos running TW gets between 8 and nine hours SOT with between 1.5 and 2 days on battery. Like you I have the display on around 40% auto brightness. I run a dark theme. Mixture of Wifi and 4g, mostly browsing, a few photos and some editing, tidal and spotify listening, the odd youtube video, quite a bit of WhatsApp, not many phone calls.

I have Facebook disabled, location off ( until I need it), Bluetooth off, sync on.

I don't use package disablers but manually turned off/disabled or uninstalled anything I never use (careful, read up first).

Phone runs like greased lighting.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow. The most I've ever got is around 5.5 hours screen on over a day if standby. More typical is less than 5, nearer to 4. Not sure how people get these amazing usage times, and I'm on a SIM free UK model.

Battery life has been better for me on the nougat beta

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Wow. The most I've ever got is around 5.5 hours screen on over a day if standby. More typical is less than 5, nearer to 4. Not sure how people get these amazing usage times, and I'm on a SIM free UK model.

Battery life has been better for me on the nougat beta

A lot of it has probably to do with display brightness. There are folks here that run it at close to 100%. God knows how they cope with that. It would give me a headache apart from the display looking horrible at those levels imho.

My guess is that even an increase of 20% brightness probably reduces SOT by 10 - 15%. That's not insubstantial and could easily amount to an hour or even more.

Facebook is another known resource hugger.

Contrary to popular believe Samsungs bloatware does actually not consume much battery life.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of it has probably to do with display brightness. There are folks here that run it at close to 100%. God knows how they cope with that. It would give me a headache apart from the display looking horrible at those levels imho.

My guess is that even an increase of 20% brightness probably reduces SOT by 10 - 15%. That's not insubstantial and could easily amount to an hour or even more.

Facebook is another known resource hugger.

Contrary to popular believe Samsungs bloatware does actually not consume much battery life.

I use auto brightness with the slider always less than 50% unless I'm outside

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what version phone you are using but my Exynos running TW gets between 8 and nine hours SOT with between 1.5 and 2 days on battery. Like you I have the display on around 40% auto brightness. I run a dark theme. Mixture of Wifi and 4g, mostly browsing, a few photos and some editing, tidal and spotify listening, the odd youtube video, quite a bit of WhatsApp, not many phone calls.

I have Facebook disabled, location off ( until I need it), Bluetooth off, sync on.

I don't use package disablers but manually turned off/disabled or uninstalled anything I never use (careful, read up first).

Phone runs like greased lighting.

Also Exonus, UK Vodafone carrier, running stock bar Nova launcher. Drain from that is negligible. Have similar data usage, though I do stream a fair bit of video, that's why KODI is running high.

I've noticed that even without mobile video streaming I still only tend to get around 6 hours SOT.

Attachments

• 184449.jpg
    184449.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20161222-104433.jpg
    Screenshot_20161222-104433.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20161222-104418.jpg
    Screenshot_20161222-104418.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20161222-104303.jpg
    Screenshot_20161222-104303.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 62

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ever since one of the early updates to the s7 edge mine has always had high android system drain. It normally runs the screen close and is often top of the battery stats. I guess that's why I don't get the battery life of others. But have found no way to fix it, even tried factory reset several times

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Ever since one of the early updates to the s7 edge mine has always had high android system drain. It normally runs the screen close and is often top of the battery stats. I guess that's why I don't get the battery life of others. But have found no way to fix it, even tried factory reset several times

Same for me, the best workaround I've found is having location settings set to GPS only, or even better keeping location settings set to off unless needed.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Same for me, the best workaround I've found is having location settings set to GPS only, or even better keeping location settings set to off unless needed.

I take the trade off and prefer to keep location on. I understand the phone (Google) track you pretty much all the time so having location off would probably make battery life much much better. But I quite like some of the features it offers

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No matter what you change on your phone, fact is most people will not get over 6 hours SOT. if you have apps running in the background or are in a weak service area, your battery life will suffer somewhat, which will directly affect your SOT.
Don't gimp your phone just to try and get some unrealistic SOT number. Just use your phone and appreciate the fact you can recharge it quickly throughout the day, if needed.
If your battery is draining rapidly without using it, then you can worry about what's wrong.
For me, I haven't really worried about it since my Galaxy Nexus days, which had poor battery life. This may have been right before quick charging was introduced as well.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Don't know why people are still ignorant about the fact that battery life and SOT depends on person to person. Everyone uses their phone differently.

2 hours of costumizing the look of my UI will drain less battery than 2 hours of Web streaming like youtube on data.

If you want more SOT then keep your screen on and do nothing till it dies. That way you'll get the maximum SOT.

Smh

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
^What he said.

Normal usage for me is 4-5hrs SOT at 14-17hrs standby. Because I use my phone for internet intermittenly throughout the day, and signal isn't very good at my work place, plus it's a dual sim model so more antennae working. However, when playing games says my battery usage is at 15% per hour (War Robots, online 3rd person mech shooter), so that gives me almost 7hrs SOT, or at least more then 6 1/2 hrs.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I usually get around 4.5 to 5 hours SOT with the Exynos variant on Cricket Wireless. I have 6 emails always syncing through Microsoft Outlook and heavy WhatsApp and Web usage, no power saving tweaks. I find the battery life significantly better than my Nexus 6P which used to last 3 to 3.5 hours SOT. I consider myself a moderate to heavy user and the battery life is very acceptable.

Right before this post I was thinking about getting the Exynos S7 but I'll stick to the Edge for now and deal with the curved screen...lol.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I see a version of the "don't gimp your phone" response to questions like the OP's in every discusssion that lasts more than a couple of posts.

I don't buy it.

We all have multiple features and apps pre-loaded on our new phones that we will *never* use. Now, for each of us, the list of thsoe will be different, but if they are apps that run in the background, and there is a way to stop them from doing so, of course you should disable them. If there are enough of them, of course that will give you better performance and battery life than you would otherwise have. If you can gain a more than negligible increase in battery life by adjusting the way you use the phone, for some that's a reasonable trade off, as well.

Fast charging is not equivalent to battery capacity and life.

Let me say that again.

Fast charging is not equivalent to battery capacity and life.

Just because User A may get 6 hours of SOT with his usage pattern, and User B may get only 4 with hers, doesn't mean each shouldn't want to get the most they can for their unique situations.

Last edited:

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't know why people are still ignorant about the fact that battery life and SOT depends on person to person. Everyone uses their phone differently.

2 hours of costumizing the look of my UI will drain less battery than 2 hours of Web streaming like youtube on data.

If you want more SOT then keep your screen on and do nothing till it dies. That way you'll get the maximum SOT.

Smh

I'm not ignorant to it in the slightest, I've been using android since the G1 (HTC Dream) was released. I'm just curious of other's settings as I like to fiddle and see if optimizations made by others will be a benefit or detriment to my use.

To add to this, I am also forcing LTE only mode as I work in a factory and don't get a 'natural' 4G signal. I get 3G but it's slower and through my own testing, the wait time for a page or video to load will drain about the same as forcing the LTE chip to be on.

Maybe I've already hit the limit of what's possible without going the custom ROM route. I just know that I was getting this kind of SOT with my S5 which was using a stripped down version of the stock Samsung ROM.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Rule number 1 for me: Stay clear of apps like Greenify and Package Disabler, they seem to break more than fix anything.

I can get 7hours SOT daily
-Screen is at around 40% brightness
-Disabled: Samsung Gear, S Voice, Chrome, and Play Music (Downloaded Samsung Music Player).
-Location Disabled (only enabled when I Uber)
-Location History Disabled

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Rule number 1 for me: Stay clear of apps like Greenify and Package Disabler, they seem to break more than fix anything.

I can get 7hours SOT daily
-Screen is at around 40% brightness
-Disabled: Samsung Gear, S Voice, Chrome, and Play Music (Downloaded Samsung Music Player).
-Location Disabled (only enabled when I Uber)
-Location History Disabled

This is about what I do as well. I also disabled the Facebook app, and make sure to completely close out any apps that require use of GPS when I don't need it.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I'd rather 6 hours using all the features than 8 hours with some of them switched off. Actually, even if using the phone for what I paid all the money for only gave me 4 hours SOT then I'd take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool