S7 Edge Frequent Charging

Air Planet

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
If we charge frequently without complete 100% s7 edge using officially samsung wall charger or fast wireless charger then it will be have any issue?

And also if we plug in 24 hours samsung official wall charger and fast wireless charger then also will occurred any issue in these two chargers?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nothing will go bad with either way, but why charge less than 100% frequently? Once the phone is plugged into the charger, leave it plugged in until you have to leave. (The circuit inside the phone stops charging the battery once it reaches 100%, and if it drops a few % it starts charging again, so you always have a fully- or almost-fully-charged battery.)

As for leaving the charger plugged in, I've had chargers plugged in to phones for a month with no problems. (They say to not leave it plugged in when you're not home, but do you unplug your TV when you go out? It's also drawing current when it's off.)

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
The battery experts say that for the best life of your Li-Ion battery, you should maintain the charge between 40% and 80% charge.

With that said, if you are a 'normal' consumer, you will be replacing the phone within two years or so, and the battery will likely still be in pretty good shape in that time even if you charge to 100% on a daily basis.

Air Planet

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
Nothing will go bad with either way, but why charge less than 100% frequently? Once the phone is plugged into the charger, leave it plugged in until you have to leave. (The circuit inside the phone stops charging the battery once it reaches 100%, and if it drops a few % it starts charging again, so you always have a fully- or almost-fully-charged battery.)

As for leaving the charger plugged in, I've had chargers plugged in to phones for a month with no problems. (They say to not leave it plugged in when you're not home, but do you unplug your TV when you go out? It's also drawing current when it's off.)

I mean if we need to unplug our s7 edge during charging due to some need of s7 edge then will this issue occur or not?

And what about 24 hours of plug in these 2 samsung charges issue?

Air Planet

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
The battery experts say that for the best life of your Li-Ion battery, you should maintain the charge between 40% and 80% charge.

With that said, if you are a 'normal' consumer, you will be replacing the phone within two years or so, and the battery will likely still be in pretty good shape in that time even if you charge to 100% on a daily basis.

Means we should not charge s7 edge above 80% and below to 40% 🤔?

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Means we should not charge s7 edge above 80% and below to 40% 🤔?
It means that if you want optimum performance and life from your battery, then you maintain its charge between 40% and 80%.

...and you slow-charge it: fast charging and wireless charging are rougher on the battery.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Because people are spoiled and want their phones charged now! And if the batteries don't last as long as they could it's of no real consequence: those same spoiled people will just buy new ones.

Air Planet

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
Because people are spoiled and want their phones charged now! And if the batteries don't last as long as they could it's of no real consequence: those same spoiled people will just buy new ones.
What about frequent charging using wireless or wall charger?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just charge the phone any way you want. I let mine go down to 5-10% or so and then fast charge. I also have a wireless charger and use that frequently. I bought my S7 Edge on pre-release and it still lasts as long as it did on day one. You'll have another phone by the time you start noticing that the battery charge doesn't last as long.

I actually have three S7 Edge phones now. Two were pre-release but I broke the display on one but it still works. The third I bought last week to replace the broken one. I'll keep fast charging it too just like I do the other two and will also run it down to 5-10% as usual.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The point of taking care of batteries is to make them last more than 2 years before replacement. Abused batteries barely last a year. If you replace your phone every 2 years, it's not a big deal at all.

Anyway the gist is, basically, batteries work by ion movement, and like a machine, these ions wear out over time due to use. And similar to machines, heavy use wears them out more. You're more likely to break an engine by running it for 1 day at max rev, than running it over a month at half capacity. The smaller the depth of discharge, the lower the wear. Lab tests have concluded that when you constantly discharge from 100 to 0, it allows you betwrrn 300-500 charge cycles before it starts to break down and not hold charges. More specifically, when you reach that magic number your battery can only hold 75% of it's original charge. That's typically 1-2 years of use if you charge once a day. And heavy abusers charge more than once a day, so that decreases the time span to however many weeks it takes them to reach 500 charge cycles. Now, the increase in charge cycles is exponential, not arithmetical. So a depth of discharge to 50 before recharging will not give you 600-1000 charges. Rather it will give you 1200-1500 charge cycles. Mathematically, draining a 3600mah to zero for 300 charges gives you 1080000mah to burn through however short your battery life will be. On the other hand, using only 50% of the battery before recharging gives you 2160000mah to burn through before it expires after at least 1200 charge cycles. In other words, it stored twice more power for you to use. If you say, charge once every 24hrs, going always from 100 to 0 gives you at least 300 days. Recharging twice a day at 50% gives your battery at least 600 days of use before battery capacity deteriorates noticeably. Discharging to 75% before recharging actually gives you 2000-2500 charge cycles, making it even longer. Basically the point is, always plug the phone in when given the chance. Don't wait for 50%, or whatever. 40% is an arbitrary number actually, not sure why it's chosen. Also, this is why one of the choices to auto activate power saving in the S7 is at 50%, so that it keeps the battery up as close to 50% as possible when you get the chance to plug in.
As for charging to 80%, this is because partial charge is better than full charge for lithium ion batteries. The ions are placed on stress to hold charges. Maximum stress is at 100% charge. And like everything else, stuff tends to break more. So not running it to 100% all the time will reduce overall stress experienced and increase the time before deterioration occurs. Personally I charge to 90%, and discharge to 40% or above. I set Lightflow to sound an alarm and turn the charging LED to green once the phone hits 90% charged. That's a 50% depth of charge, so that's good for up to 1500 charge cycles, plus whatever number of cycles the decrease in max stress gives me.

However, note that environmental temperatures also play a role in battery longevity.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I always plug my phone in and charge it overnight; plus any other random opportunity throughout the day. I haven't had any problems.

Air Planet

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
The point of taking care of batteries is to make them last more than 2 years before replacement. Abused batteries barely last a year. If you replace your phone every 2 years, it's not a big deal at all.

Anyway the gist is, basically, batteries work by ion movement, and like a machine, these ions wear out over time due to use. And similar to machines, heavy use wears them out more. You're more likely to break an engine by running it for 1 day at max rev, than running it over a month at half capacity. The smaller the depth of discharge, the lower the wear. Lab tests have concluded that when you constantly discharge from 100 to 0, it allows you betwrrn 300-500 charge cycles before it starts to break down and not hold charges. More specifically, when you reach that magic number your battery can only hold 75% of it's original charge. That's typically 1-2 years of use if you charge once a day. And heavy abusers charge more than once a day, so that decreases the time span to however many weeks it takes them to reach 500 charge cycles. Now, the increase in charge cycles is exponential, not arithmetical. So a depth of discharge to 50 before recharging will not give you 600-1000 charges. Rather it will give you 1200-1500 charge cycles. Mathematically, draining a 3600mah to zero for 300 charges gives you 1080000mah to burn through however short your battery life will be. On the other hand, using only 50% of the battery before recharging gives you 2160000mah to burn through before it expires after at least 1200 charge cycles. In other words, it stored twice more power for you to use. If you say, charge once every 24hrs, going always from 100 to 0 gives you at least 300 days. Recharging twice a day at 50% gives your battery at least 600 days of use before battery capacity deteriorates noticeably. Discharging to 75% before recharging actually gives you 2000-2500 charge cycles, making it even longer. Basically the point is, always plug the phone in when given the chance. Don't wait for 50%, or whatever. 40% is an arbitrary number actually, not sure why it's chosen. Also, this is why one of the choices to auto activate power saving in the S7 is at 50%, so that it keeps the battery up as close to 50% as possible when you get the chance to plug in.
As for charging to 80%, this is because partial charge is better than full charge for lithium ion batteries. The ions are placed on stress to hold charges. Maximum stress is at 100% charge. And like everything else, stuff tends to break more. So not running it to 100% all the time will reduce overall stress experienced and increase the time before deterioration occurs. Personally I charge to 90%, and discharge to 40% or above. I set Lightflow to sound an alarm and turn the charging LED to green once the phone hits 90% charged. That's a 50% depth of charge, so that's good for up to 1500 charge cycles, plus whatever number of cycles the decrease in max stress gives me.

However, note that environmental temperatures also play a role in battery longevity.

Thanks a lot you explain this very clearly 😊

Air Planet

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I always plug my phone in and charge it overnight; plus any other random opportunity throughout the day. I haven't had any problems.

Using overnight charging means almost 8 to 10 hours is it not bad for s7 edge getting overcharge issue?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My oldest phone with a built in battery is an iPhone 6+. I still let the battery run down to 5% before I charge it and always charge it to 100%. It's battery capacity is 97.30% with 356 cycles and this is after two years of running it down to 5% and charging it to 100%. It still lasts me 3-4 days on one charge. This is why I say charge the battery when you want and use it on as charge as long as you want, just don't let it run down till it shuts off.

My other two phones with built in batteries are a 6S and a 6S+. Both are a year old now and the capacities on the batteries after 1 year are 99.2 and 98.9. I do the same on these phones, run them down to 5% before charging and charge them to 100%

I haven't found a battery app in the play store that shows a batteries current capacity like what I have on the iPhones so I haven't been able to check on my three s& edge phones or Note 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary