So, to get or not to get?

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
A good side-by-side comparison here:

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge vs. Samsung Galaxy S7 - GSMArena.com

The screen size was the driver for me. The Edge also has a larger battery.

These are compelling reasons, and I keep going back and forth. After watching a nauseating number of vids on the edge apps, I doubt I'd use them much. Coming from the (removable) S5 battery from with I get great daily life, the 3000 mAh battery in the S7 would be a step up, let alone 3600 mAH in the Edge. Going over to AT&T to fondle them one more time before I decide; as for waiting for the S8, why do have a feeling Samsung will step on their d*ck again a la the S6 and do something completely stupid, like allow only wireless charging? Hmmm, just a hunch.

joshwilks

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I went for the S7 because the Edge thing seemed so gimmicky to me. I also heard reports of the edges being too easy to rest your palms on and make the rest of the screen unresponsive which would drive me crazy. Maybe the better battery life is enough to tempt you towards the Edge?

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
After handling both phones, the Edge feels a lot nicer in hand. I agree that the Edge software think is a bit gimmicky, and likely not very useful. The phone itself just feels heftier and of higher quality (to say nothing of a better battery and larger screen). While I'm leaning toward the Edge, I still haven't made up my mind, and probably won't for a day or so. BTW, while in the stores, I also handled the LG V20, and I gotta say, it too is a nice phone.Runs about the same price as the Samsung offerings, but it may take some getting used to the main button being on the back. Ah, so many choices...

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
After handling both phones, the Edge feels a lot nicer in hand. I agree that the Edge software think is a bit gimmicky, and likely not very useful. The phone itself just feels heftier and of higher quality (to say nothing of a better battery and larger screen).
I found the same. I like the larger phone and the feel of the S7E in my hand. The only edge function I have active is for my favorite contacts, and that does come in handy.
While I'm leaning toward the Edge, I still haven't made up my mind, and probably won't for a day or so. BTW, while in the stores, I also handled the LG V20, and I gotta say, it too is a nice phone.Runs about the same price as the Samsung offerings, but it may take some getting used to the main button being on the back. Ah, so many choices...
The V20 is a nice phone, I'm sure. But it does not get the great reviews that the S7E does. It's a step below in a lot of ways, according to the reviews/comparisons I've read.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
After handling both phones, the Edge feels a lot nicer in hand. I agree that the Edge software think is a bit gimmicky, and likely not very useful. The phone itself just feels heftier and of higher quality (to say nothing of a better battery and larger screen). While I'm leaning toward the Edge, I still haven't made up my mind, and probably won't for a day or so. BTW, while in the stores, I also handled the LG V20, and I gotta say, it too is a nice phone.Runs about the same price as the Samsung offerings, but it may take some getting used to the main button being on the back. Ah, so many choices...
LG V20 is a lovely phone, built like a tank and still capable of allowing you to remove the battery.

It falls behind in terms of Water and Dust Resistance, it's Camera also is not as good as the S7E Camera, same with the Displays, the S7E has the better Display thanks to being AMOLED.

Where the V20 is better us that it has 64GB internal storage vs the S7E 32GB, the V20 also has the newer USB-C, and a UI that is closer to stock if you are a fan of Stock Android. The V20 also has the far better HiFi DAC for Audiophiles, it is the way to go if you are the sort of person who listens to high quality format music e.g. WAV.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
These are compelling reasons, and I keep going back and forth. After watching a nauseating number of vids on the edge apps, I doubt I'd use them much. Coming from the (removable) S5 battery from with I get great daily life, the 3000 mAh battery in the S7 would be a step up, let alone 3600 mAH in the Edge. Going over to AT&T to fondle them one more time before I decide; as for waiting for the S8, why do have a feeling Samsung will step on their d*ck again a la the S6 and do something completely stupid, like allow only wireless charging? Hmmm, just a hunch.

I wouldn't see them do something that dumb but something dumb like removing the micro SD slot again and going with no headphone jack or a smaller battery that has bad batter life like the S6 and Note 5 had.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Huawei has the worst customer service. I own a Nexus 6P, which is made by Huawei. So I followed the 6P forums for a year or so, before getting my S7E. While it is a good phone and I never had any issues with it, I read horror story after horror story anytime anyone had to deal with Huawei directly. And I know you get some of that on forums like this. But I never read a single positive post about their customer service, which is unusual. If you do decide to get a Huawei device, get insurance through some other source, as you sure don't want to depend on Huawei for a good outcome.

That's the problem with going with lesser known companies. Huawei could become big and give Samsung, LG a run, but they just don't support their products that well and are not really known in the states. Also good luck finding accessories for the Huawei as I don't see any of the stores with their cases. Otterbox doesn't even make cases for them.

The Mate 9 looks sexy and has a great price but again lack of support and accessories is why I shy away from their phones.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, (and I know you are all on the edge -pun intended--of your seats. I bailed on T-Mobile and went with Verizon. They made me a trade in deal I couldn't refuse on my S5, so my monthly with be about the same, or less once the discount kicks in. Gotta love these store sales guys (and have you noticed, the vast majority of the sales types are male?Just an observation.) and their slick spiel; after a while I just stop listening.

So far I really like the phone, and may grow to love it once I get used to it. As good as it feels in hand, I gotta get a case for it. It is so slick (literally) and delicate looking, I fear one drop will put it down. So, I'll order a good Spigen or Caseology (sorry Otterbox fans, I can't hide my new phone in one of those, especially at that price.) case for it, and admire it's gorgeous looks for now. And yeah, as noted, the only edge function I've found useful so far is contacts. Still, only on my second day. Thanks for all the replies. Mission accomplished!

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, (and I know you are all on the edge -pun intended--of your seats. I bailed on T-Mobile and went with Verizon. They made me a trade in deal I couldn't refuse on my S5, so my monthly with be about the same, or less once the discount kicks in. Gotta love these store sales guys (and have you noticed, the vast majority of the sales types are male?Just an observation.) and their slick spiel; after a while I just stop listening.

So far I really like the phone, and may grow to love it once I get used to it. As good as it feels in hand, I gotta get a case for it. It is so slick (literally) and delicate looking, I fear one drop will put it down. So, I'll order a good Spigen or Caseology (sorry Otterbox fans, I can't hide my new phone in one of those, especially at that price.) case for it, and admire it's gorgeous looks for now. And yeah, as noted, the only edge function I've found useful so far is contacts. Still, only on my second day. Thanks for all the replies. Mission accomplished!

Good for you and good luck with it. I put a Caseology case on mine and really like it.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Good for you and good luck with it. I put a Caseology case on mine and really like it.

Yeah, in my opinion they make the best cases going. The one on my S5 protected it excellently, but the coloring began to chip off and it was becoming noticeably beat up looking. The Spigen screen protector I had on it was awesome; how awesome, you ask? After I dropped the phone the last time, I notice a series of cracks I assumed were on the actual screen; I left the protector on 'cause I figured it was the only thing holding the glass together. The other day, I pulled it off, just to see how bad the glass was. Turned out the Spigen protector had cracked, and the screen was in perfect condition! So, I had a perfectly good S5 to trade in, and Verizon gave me top dollar for it. Win-win, I'd say. So, looking for a good screen protector? The tempered glass from Spigen gets my vote; too bad the one they make for the S7 Edge gets such poor marks. It can't be easy making one for a curved screen.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You may not have an easy time finding a glass screen protector. My sister uses the zagg glass one on hers , but when I use her phone I find it hard to press the screen. I use a HD contour by bodyguardz. It's not glass , but it works and there's no lifting (yet ) even with my OtterBox symmetry case on.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, in my opinion they make the best cases going. The one on my S5 protected it excellently, but the coloring began to chip off and it was becoming noticeably beat up looking. The Spigen screen protector I had on it was awesome; how awesome, you ask? After I dropped the phone the last time, I notice a series of cracks I assumed were on the actual screen; I left the protector on 'cause I figured it was the only thing holding the glass together. The other day, I pulled it off, just to see how bad the glass was. Turned out the Spigen protector had cracked, and the screen was in perfect condition! So, I had a perfectly good S5 to trade in, and Verizon gave me top dollar for it. Win-win, I'd say. So, looking for a good screen protector? The tempered glass from Spigen gets my vote; too bad the one they make for the S7 Edge gets such poor marks. It can't be easy making one for a curved screen.
My spigen protector went to the garbage the same night. All 3 of them. Waste of money.

Get the armorsuit case friendly instead. It's PERFECT. been on my edge for 2 months. Still looks great.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I just wrote to Spigen's CS, asking that they get their sh#t together and build a glass screen protector for the S7 Edge that is up to the quality of the one I had on my GS5. I'm sure it's a fabrication challenge, but hell, this is the 21st century and it can't be impossible.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought a clear Speck Candy Shell case for mine, from Best Buy. Been very happy with it so far, a couple of months now. I don't use a screen protector. No scratches anywhere, even micro-scratches.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I just wrote to Spigen's CS, asking that they get their sh#t together and build a glass screen protector for the S7 Edge that is up to the quality of the one I had on my GS5. I'm sure it's a fabrication challenge, but hell, this is the 21st century and it can't be impossible.

Give it up. It just cannot be done. Glass needs heat to form the curve, but heat destroys the silicon adhesive. Yet the adhesive could not be laid evenly when the glass is curved. Get it?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Impossible? Probably not. The question is, is it worth the return on investment? If they thought it was, they would make it; otherwise, not.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Time will tell. In the meantime, I opted for this model https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Leather-Protector-Vintage-Samsung/dp/B01HDTQTWI/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_img_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=09N1YZZ8CEEJSTXN5364 and so far it has worked out just fine. Strangely, as its cover protects the screen, it came with a film-type screen protector. Took a bit to get it on right, but now the phone is beautifully encased and protected. The cover stays put, either open or closed, and is genuine leather. Women now flock to me....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy