SOLID Information on Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge Nougat Update???

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so, figured I would eventually see this coming. Typically I see a waterfall of posts about this subject, so here it goes...

After reading numerous Android and Samsung news sites, I am seeing a lot of differences in news.

For example:

• It will be 7.0 and not 7.11.
  • It was Beta tested in the US and other parts of the world, but it was "leaked" that it would be going OTA on 01/17/2017 for Europe.
  • And so on...

Too much conflicting information...

Does anyone have any reliable information on the rollout or is it pretty much a speculation and waiting game at this point?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Since Samsung itself hasn't released anything official, nope. Everything else cannot be 'solid' since it's not coming directly from them. What we DO know is that the beta is officially over and some people HAVE received the final build on their phones, so rollout is imminent. If you're on a carrier, however, things might be different. And since most people who bought an US Unlocked Model are still waiting on the latest security updates, the OS upgrade might also take a while to reach those. Again, sorry, but nothing 'solid'.

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
IMHO February/March at the earliest for me since I am on Verizon, last update I have seen from VZ was 11/16/16 and I am on October 1st security patch to give you some idea how fast & up to date VZ is with updates to the s7e so getting Nougat anytime this month seems like a pipedream

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
You know, that is the weird part about Verizon...(happens to be my carrier as well)...Verizon states that ALL of their phones are sold "unlocked". So you'd think being on Verizon means you get the updates OTA directly from Samsung - WRONG!

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would have thought after the Note fiasco Samsung would want to keep consumers onside, but the lack of info is seriously peeing me off. Surely Samsung know when they are going to start the roll out and what version is going to be supplied.
What's the big secret, how hard is it to keep people informed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You know, that is the weird part about Verizon...(happens to be my carrier as well)...Verizon states that ALL of their phones are sold "unlocked". So you'd think being on Verizon means you get the updates OTA directly from Samsung - WRONG!

Factory Unlocked units get their updates from Samsung. SIM Unlocked carrier branded units still have carrier modifications in the OS (i.e. bloatware), so the updates come from the carrier, even if they don't lock the device.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
IMHO February/March at the earliest for me since I am on Verizon, last update I have seen from VZ was 11/16/16 and I am on October 1st security patch to give you some idea how fast & up to date VZ is with updates to the s7e so getting Nougat anytime this month seems like a pipedream

I was in the beta for Verizon and the experience for me was smooth and essentially flawless. There is no reason to think it should take until March for them to roll out this update.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so, figured I would eventually see this coming. Typically I see a waterfall of posts about this subject, so here it goes...

After reading numerous Android and Samsung news sites, I am seeing a lot of differences in news.

For example:

• It will be 7.0 and not 7.11.
  • It was Beta tested in the US and other parts of the world, but it was "leaked" that it would be going OTA on 01/17/2017 for Europe.
  • And so on...

Too much conflicting information...

Does anyone have any reliable information on the rollout or is it pretty much a speculation and waiting game at this point?

The Beta tests for the European and the US Verizon, Sprint and TMO Beta was 7.0. So, if you're in any of those groups, that's what you'll get.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've said all along that, with the N7 fiasco, it's in Samsung's best interest to get updates rolled out ASAP (especially for features that add N7 capabilities to the S7 and S7E). While carriers can gum that up, I think it's also in the carrier's best interest, too.

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, moot point now...as of today Samsung Officially started the rollout for beta testers, next unlocked OTAs, then....

Ok, anyone taking bets on carriers? Verizon perhaps? LOL

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
May for tmobile I bet haha.

TMobile has been quite quick in releasing updates since the Note 5. Can't remember which phone exactly (I think it was the Note 5) but they even released the update to Marshmallow before it hit unlocked models. And they have been fairly quick (until last month, at least) with security updates, so I don't think it'll take TMo that long, not for the S7/S7 Edge at least.

Morke

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but the Sm-G930A AT&T S7 like what I have am screwed.. I was sleeping looking for the beta testing and we wasn't even offered it.. what gives?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
TMobile has been quite quick in releasing updates since the Note 5. Can't remember which phone exactly (I think it was the Note 5) but they even released the update to Marshmallow before it hit unlocked models. And they have been fairly quick (until last month, at least) with security updates, so I don't think it'll take TMo that long, not for the S7/S7 Edge at least.

Plus, TMO was part of the Beta. Why would it take a long time from then to release to everyone? That would fly in the face of the whole point of participating in the Beta to begin with.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Plus, TMO was part of the Beta. Why would it take a long time from then to release to everyone? That would fly in the face of the whole point of participating in the Beta to begin with.

I have the Dual Sim Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge International unlocked version but no Nougat update for me here in Dubai :(

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the Dual Sim Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge International unlocked version but no Nougat update for me here in Dubai :(

Hang in there! It's rolling out eventually. Right now it seems it's only for beta program users, but I'd say within the next couple of months it should be fully rolling out.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I was in the beta for Verizon and the experience for me was smooth and essentially flawless. There is no reason to think it should take until March for them to roll out this update.

They have to put on all their bloatware on it and then test it.. so yea march is more likely..