S7 Nougat update postponed

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do. I was fine with the Security Updates.

Honestly at this point I cannot believe we are still dealing with "Major Updates", it should be a constant stream of Security Updates with the odd feature in each one.

How many times does the UI have to change?

If rather Google and the rest of them give us Security Updates monthly with the odd cool feature and then give us a major update with new UI and dazzling features every 2years.

I'm looking at a lot of things in Nougat and realising we Android Users Beta Tested a lot of this stuff in Lollipop and Marshmallow.

So you're saying they should just keep the OS exactly the same, update security, and leave it alone? Look at Blackberry.. They tried that... See how they're doing? ;).

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So you're saying they should just keep the OS exactly the same, update security, and leave it alone? Look at Blackberry.. They tried that... See how they're doing? ;).
What are you talking about!? How can you even bring them into this? A huge part of their demise was them not accepting that Touchscreen Smartphones were the future, by the time they were done fumbling around the competition had left them behind.

Awful comparison bro, honestly. If you want to make a point at least compare Apple's with Apple's.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about!? How can you even bring them into this? A huge part of their demise was them not accepting that Touchscreen Smartphones were the future, by the time they were done fumbling around the competition had left them behind.

Awful comparison bro, honestly. If you want to make a point at least compare Apple's with Apple's.

I am just saying you said a company shouldn't update their OS with features or refresh the UI and should keep it exactly the same except for Security Updates because Samsung has implemented their own features into the OS. How is that Apple's to Apple's? You're comparing Samsung specific features and saying that Google shouldn't do anything to their OS for all the other Android phones (including theirs) because your Samsung has it? Sorry -- doesn't make sense.

[Edit] Also a lot goes into the features, OS workings in the background, etc. with these major updates as I stated earlier. Such as Doze with MM was a big one. Simply implementing little features every security update isn't feasible since they have to beta test these things to ensure they don't bug out. Plugging that into security updates every time could cause havoc when the security update should be just that -- a security update. Sometimes they toss in a small fix with it but major changes they always test via beta programs. Hence the Nexus having the beta program for a long time. It isn't like they just say "Well we never had that add it" and within 10 minutes it is in the OS and working.

The UI changes are welcome in my book. I wouldn't want my UI to be Android from 4 years ago -- No thx.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I am just saying you said a company shouldn't update their OS with features or refresh the UI and should keep it exactly the same except for Security Updates because Samsung has implemented their own features into the OS. How is that Apple's to Apple's? You're comparing Samsung specific features and saying that Google shouldn't do anything to their OS for all the other Android phones (including theirs) because your Samsung has it? Sorry -- doesn't make sense.

Lol, did you not read what I said correctly? I suggest you go back and read it again.

What you will find is:

I Did NOT say they shouldn't update the features or UI, but rather a delay in how often they do it.

I never said they must keep them exactly the same, again, a delay in how frequently it's done.

I said they must ads the odd cool feature, when it's ready

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This rush to the latest OS is great, but it's way overblown imo, and only a thing now because smartphones in general are so good at this point, what else are we going to complain about, if not update timetables?

Is it really such a huge deal that some got Nougat in November, others in December and some in February? A 3 or 4 month variance?

Of course Google will get first dibs, what other advantage would they have otherwise? That would be like asking Samsung why they make better OLED for their phones as oppose to their other clients.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Lol, did you not read what I said correctly? I suggest you go back and read it again.

What you will find is:

I Did NOT say they shouldn't update the features or UI, but rather a delay in how often they do it.

I never said they must keep them exactly the same, again, a delay in how frequently it's done.

I said they must ads the odd cool feature, when it's ready

I edited my post :). Either way -- I have no issues with OS updates. Why should they delay features people want or refreshes when they feel it is necessary? For Samsung and the carriers to play catch up? I just guess we don't see eye to eye on why the "wait" is needed -- or why they need to be implemented "little by little" rather than a nice OS update. I enjoy getting my updates without hassle right from Google on my phone. I dealt with carrier branded in the past -- while not the worst sometimes it still sucked to "wait" for a feature I might like (or even in some cases being on a old security patch and not getting the update thanks to the carrier).

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I edited my post :). Either way -- I have no issues with OS updates. Why should they delay features people want or refreshes when they feel it is necessary? For Samsung and the carriers to play catch up? I just guess we don't see eye to eye on why the "wait" is needed -- or why they need to be implemented "little by little" rather than a nice OS update. I enjoy getting my updates without hassle right from Google on my phone. I dealt with carrier branded in the past -- while not the worst sometimes it still sucked to "wait" for a feature I might like (or even in some cases being on a old security patch and not getting the update thanks to the carrier).
So then you must have a Nexus or Pixel then?

I have happily waited for updates as Samsung implement useful features, never have missed out in anything when waiting.

When they launched the Note 4 it had the Lollipop Task Switched in JB, they always ensure we have what is seen as the major thing to have in the big update and then they work on the update and release damn near bug free.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So then you must have a Nexus or Pixel then?

I have happily waited for updates as Samsung implement useful features, never have missed out in anything when waiting.

When they launched the Note 4 it had the Lollipop Task Switched in JB, they always ensure we have what is seen as the major thing to have in the big update and then they work on the update and release damn near bug free.

And that is where we differ -- You're happy waiting and I am not. I mean I usually can wait for features (the only one I truly "WANTED" was Doze because it is awesome) but I actually have come to like the Security Updates. My phone has too much access to stuff in life to allow backdoors to sit.

Either way this whole thing started with -- yes some people like updates and there is nothing wrong with it. It's cool if you aren't but it doesn't mean that the ones who want the N update on their S7 are wrong in any way :).

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
And that is where we differ -- You're happy waiting and I am not. I mean I usually can wait for features (the only one I truly "WANTED" was Doze because it is awesome) but I actually have come to like the Security Updates. My phone has too much access to stuff in life to allow backdoors to sit.

Either way this whole thing started with -- yes some people like updates and there is nothing wrong with it. It's cool if you aren't but it doesn't mean that the ones who want the N update on their S7 are wrong in any way :).
They are not wrong but should have known from day one what they were buying into when it comes to Samsung.

When it comes to Samsung you have to to be happy with how the phone is on initial FW, as it's likely to stay like that for a while.

I nearly went for a LG V20, but it didn't have everything the S7 Edge had, but it had Nougat, and I knew I'd rather have the hardware I want and wait for Nougat.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Some of you may be fine waiting for the update but for those of us that had a Note 7 and had to get the S7 Edge because of the recall really want this update because it will bring a lot of the same features from the Note 7 to the S7 Edge... Better AOD, the layout will look more cleaner... We shouldn't have to wait almost a year when 7.0 has been out since summer... Really stupid and frankly it doesn't take that much time to fix bugs and get it right. It just doesn't...

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Another reason why ios kills us. Why can't android oems support software for 3 years or 4. And why it takes Samsung and others over 6 months to update devices is terrible.
No wonder why android goes down in value so fast.
Before there was a big price difference between ios and Samsung but not now. So Samsung please better support.
I too have an unlocked S7edge paid full price no no carrier to blame.. Still nothing.. Samsung please keep us posted on updates and when expected don't become like Apple in this way.
Many things that I loves about my notes where the removable battery and ir... If nothing else it just upset my apple friends. Now they have gone.. Bad update policy and fewer features but high price.. Come on Samsung I'm a fan every note to date... At least update the S7 worldwide in a week not drip feeding you will lose your fan base...

Last edited:

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Another reason why ios kills us.

In what world does iOS kill "us?" It's not in market share. Apple is under 13% worldwide and under 35% in the U.S. It's not in variety. Apple has two phones. It's not in flexibility. Apple limits a lot of what can be done on their phone.

Android is so dominant because people want choice. If you want a phone that is updated frequently then get a Pixel. If you want a phone that has the most features get a Galaxy. If you want a phone on a budget get a Motorola G.

Other than getting releases sooner, something I don't consider a good thing, there's almost no area where iOS or iPhones kill Android.

You realize that the number of people that care about getting new releases is so infinitesimally small that it's not statistically significant. There's no reason whatsoever for a manufacturer and/or carrier to take the risk and release something early that could be buggy, or worse, brick the phone. Taking extreme care is the only way to mitigate this.

I think that Samsung has figured out how to solve this problem by starting the beta program. It's lets the geeks who desire to be on cutting edge get their fill of getting the OS early. It satiates a hunger that exists in a small part of the geek world. I think in future releases we'll see this program expand.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Does the Stock Browser in the Pixel (I guess that would be Chrome?) offer Ad Blocking?

That is something I truly love about the built-in Samsung Web Browser with it's extensions, I don't have to get some 3rd party Browser in Play Store, just an Ad Blocker extension and I am away.

I have actually disabled the Resource Hog known as Chrome.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Another reason why ios kills us. Why can't android oems support software for 3 years or 4. And why it takes Samsung and others over 6 months to update devices is terrible.

It can -- Google does it to their phones all the time. Manufacturers that add lots of other features (like Samsung) have to then test all their stuff on the latest OS before they can send it out. After that then the carriers (since the manufacturers allow bloat from them) have to get it and test their software and ensure it works. After that ... You get it.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Instead of the mass airing of grievances here regarding the delayed update, why don't you guys just sideload the Nougat beta versions? Instructions and files are still on XDA and you can start using it now. It's a cakewalk to install and you can get familar with all the new functionality. If you feel the need to go back to MM, that's a simple process as well. I've been on the beta since it started and have no problems waiting for the official OTA.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on 7.0 now with my AT&T s7 edge. Sideload took 40 mins and it runs like a dream.

Bloat is of no concern nowadays because you can disable the app, and make it disappear from the app drawer. A few at&t apps at 4-5 mb sitting on the OS is nothing.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just got of the phone with Samsung
BTU is UK only
XEU is both UK and Irland the roll out is being stagared, this is to not put there servers under strain and if they find any issues they can limit the issues. The Vodafone rom is bassed on the BTU but with there junk on
There more users on XEU so they need to make sure its right.
And yes they did ditch BTU for XEU back in the S5 days. But it was brought back.
Now they didnt say when XEU was getting the roll out, but did confirm they were investigating some issues
Thanks beta testers for not spotting them

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Final released, gonna install this now: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/120208/G935FXXU1DPLT_G935FOXA1DPLT_BTU/

oU9bw3a.png

Installed:

p9k2HCR.jpg

Last edited:

Jason Massey

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Have you done the update? I just did an now I'm having issues connecting to anything internet related even though my wifi signal is excellent and it shows me connected to wifi. Have you encountered any issues if you have upgraded?

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Have you done the update? I just did an now I'm having issues connecting to anything internet related even though my wifi signal is excellent and it shows me connected to wifi. Have you encountered any issues if you have upgraded?

no issues althought I did notice it had some bloatware, seems like it's a carrier version

when you click any of the bloatware settings, the settings app force closes

I recommend you revert back to the latest official OS for your device and wait for the update OTA on my Galaxy S7 by the way here in Dubai

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power