Done with Samsung

michnow

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Note 7 with Samsung Protect Plus last August. Went through the recall nonsense, Best Buy was useless, Samsung was useless and AT&T ultimately came though and I got my Note 7 replaced with an S7 Edge. AT&T ultimately had to call their local Samsung rep who pushed it through. I went online with Samsung and thought I transferred my Samsung Protect Plus to my new phone. I guess I was stupid or confused.

Fast forward to January, I drop my S7 Edge and broke the screen. I own that this was my fault, but thought I was covered through Samsung Protect. Submitted a claim and it was rejected. Called the insurance provider "Assurant", spoke to a nice person who asked for evidence of the swap and thought everything would be great. Immediately after, I received a rejection on my claim. I call them and they give me the IMEI mismatch problem and tell me to call Samsung to correct.

I subsequently went through a nightmare with Samsung. Spoke to a Supervisor who said he would call Assurant to fix and would check back with me in 30 minutes. Never heard back from him.. Another Samsung person asked me to call back Assurant and try another rep. I entered a nightmare of dropped calls, routing to the appliance department, TV department, contracts department, Note 7 recall department all to no avail.

Fine I thought I'll pay for the fix myself and ask for a refund on the Protect Plus. Called the support number and was told that Samsung was not performing any non-warranty repairs. Called to get a refund on my Samsung Protect and was transferred a few times with no one able to help.

Finally called AT&T and even though it was not their fault/problem, they are sending me a replacement for slightly over the Samsung deductible.

Kudo's to AT&T. I will never buy a Samsung product again

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Feel you pain. No one should get the run around to get such an expensive phone fixed. Samsung has oodles of money and you would think that repair centers would be up to snuff. That non warranty repair line is bs.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree this is unacceptable. Is the new phone insured and are they giving you documentation of that insurance?

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about you nightmare...

I dropped my s7e and the digitizer broke, (rendering the screen unusable), a Sprint rep helped me file a claim w/ Assurion ... who shipped out a brand new s7e that day, (opted for the new coral blue one... It's beautiful), it arrived the next afternoon.

I was/am a happy camper...

Now, if I could get my Note 4 repaired, (won't charge or turn on), I'd be ecstatic. 😉

I hope you have better luck with your new handset.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I hate to throw water on anyone's parade but I would never have expected a Note 7 insurance policy to be carried over to the S7E. If you were told that then you've learned the hard lesson that most of us learn: Don't rely upon the word of others, verify it yourself. As Ronald Reagan said so well: "Trust but verify." It's up to YOU, not some customer service agent, to make sure you are covered. Get everything in writing and never rely upon what someone has told.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I hate to throw water on anyone's parade but I would never have expected a Note 7 insurance policy to be carried over to the S7E.
I agree, the OP should have asked for a refund right during the Note 7 exchange.

Like to see your source for that. A simple Google search about bad iPhone customer service shows over 54 million hits. Lots of folks wouldn't agree with you!
This may be true all over the internet throughout the globe but here in the states Apple does have a better customer service than other cell phone providers. This may be due to the fact that they have an actual brick and mortar store in every city.

joshwilks

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like a horrific experience, I only hope you're the exception. I've never claimed for anything on any insurance but I'm willing to bet most aren't easy to claim on. Maybe you'll change your mind when you see the S8!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about you nightmare...

I dropped my s7e and the digitizer broke, (rendering the screen unusable), a Sprint rep helped me file a claim w/ Assurion ... who shipped out a brand new s7e that day, (opted for the new coral blue one... It's beautiful), it arrived the next afternoon.

I was/am a happy camper...

Now, if I could get my Note 4 repaired, (won't charge or turn on), I'd be ecstatic. 😉

I hope you have better luck with your new handset.
How much was your deductible payment due?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Bought a Note 7 with Samsung Protect Plus last August. Went through the recall nonsense, Best Buy was useless, Samsung was useless and AT&T ultimately came though and I got my Note 7 replaced with an S7 Edge. AT&T ultimately had to call their local Samsung rep who pushed it through. I went online with Samsung and thought I transferred my Samsung Protect Plus to my new phone. I guess I was stupid or confused.

Fast forward to January, I drop my S7 Edge and broke the screen. I own that this was my fault, but thought I was covered through Samsung Protect. Submitted a claim and it was rejected. Called the insurance provider "Assurant", spoke to a nice person who asked for evidence of the swap and thought everything would be great. Immediately after, I received a rejection on my claim. I call them and they give me the IMEI mismatch problem and tell me to call Samsung to correct.

I subsequently went through a nightmare with Samsung. Spoke to a Supervisor who said he would call Assurant to fix and would check back with me in 30 minutes. Never heard back from him.. Another Samsung person asked me to call back Assurant and try another rep. I entered a nightmare of dropped calls, routing to the appliance department, TV department, contracts department, Note 7 recall department all to no avail.

Fine I thought I'll pay for the fix myself and ask for a refund on the Protect Plus. Called the support number and was told that Samsung was not performing any non-warranty repairs. Called to get a refund on my Samsung Protect and was transferred a few times with no one able to help.

Finally called AT&T and even though it was not their fault/problem, they are sending me a replacement for slightly over the Samsung deductible.

Ive got an S7 edge and like it a lot. I bought a pixel, its a piece of crap. And its nothing special. My favorite phone is the ZTE axon 7. Just as goid and faster than both my S7 edge and pixel.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

I came in here thinking it's another "ermagerd, where's my nougat update blah blah blah" type thread.

Very sorry to hear that man, id also be done with them if I had to go through all that. I must say Samsung Support outside EMEA Regions and S.Korea seems to be truly rubbish, which is off as you'd think they'd try better to compete with Apple on that front as that's where Apple are incredible exceptional.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Even before the Note 7 fiasco, I already declared myself finished with Samsung. So my S7E will be my last Samsung product. I have already started replacing 2 of my failed Samsung TVs with LG's. Yeah, I know that it's still a Korean company....

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
While I'm empathize with OP to some extent (but don't know why OP would assume insurance would transfer to a different phone), I don't know which manufacturers provide better service (except MAYBE Apple).

The OEM's don't have a big incentive to offering more than very basic customer service because at the end of the day, I think most people buy phones based on considerations other than customer service. Customer service is only one small component of customer satisfaction. Samsung phones have the highest customer satisfaction of all phones in the industry, according this survey: A Samsung phone leads in US customer satisfaction survey… again - Android Authority.

So maybe it's a choice between a good phone with mediocre service (e.g., Samsung), or a mediocre phone with good service (e.g., Apple). It depends on your priorities.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is banking on 1.) the phone not to fail or get damaged and 2.) the customer enrolls in some of insurance/replacement plan.
Sure there are walk-in repair centers, but even they aren't equipped to handle a large volume of repairs. That's why there's a 2 week turn around, sometimes more.

By the insurance company absorbing the cost of replacing the device, Samsung doesn't need to have great customer service. They've already been paid for the device. The carrier gets paid from the insurance company.

The number of people paying a monthly fee ($8) for 24 months = $192 far outweigh the number of those making claims. But when you make a claim, you're paying a $200 deductible on top of the monthly fee.

Insurance company wins. Customer pays a premium to quickly obtain a replacement but still pays close to $400 for the damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company has some type of off-grid repair center or agreement with Samsung directly to get those devices back in service for far less than $400.