S7 and S7 Edge top rated phones

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got my newest issue of Consumer Reports, March 2017. They rated all the top phones and the S7 and S7E are rated the best. They said about "Our Champ":
"The Galaxy S7 is simply one of the best phones on the market, combining a top-notch camera, dazzling 5.1 inch display, and excellent battery life with water resistance, wireless charging, rapid charging, and a number of other conveniences." and "Its equally impressive sibling, the curve-screen S7 Edge, has the same features as the S7 but with a larger 5.5 inch screen..."

It kind of surprises me that they are rated the best. Not because I don't think they are the best phones on the market, as I do believe that. But because they are almost year old models and not getting a lot of the press lately. But I guess they don't get swayed by the "latest must be the greatest" thing. Even more surprising, the S5 is #3, right behind the 2 S7's! I know they've always loved the S5 for it's replaceable battery and expandable memory, but still. Pixel XL is way down at #16! Pixel = 19.

Just thought it was interesting.

Hobson123

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I can't see me switching out my s7 edge in a hurry to be honest. I have debated getting a pixel XL for a little, but decided to stick with s7 edge.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
It's still a great phone, the best one out there (S7 edge). I absolutely love it and I find myself coming back to it. I had the iPhone 7 Plus for the last several months and I couldn't take the lack of customization on iOS so I went back to my S7 edge. I'm so glad I did. I sold my 7 Plus on Swappa and I haven't regretted it one bit.

I'm looking forward to the S8!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I broke the display on my S7 Edge on Christmas eve and two days later, bought an unlocked S7 Edge to replace it. I don't plan on buying the S8 this year and will continue using the Edge till next year. It's still an amazing phone and I still prefer it over my Note 5 and iPhone.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I moved from iPhones to the s7 edge and don't regret it one bit. The customisation on this thing is off the chart.

Being able to practically place an app icon where I want on my Homescreen is fantastic. IPhone owners will know what I'm talking about ;)

This time I'll be definitely looking at the Note 8 if not the s8 edge/plus.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't blame them, there is nothing out there that brings as much of an all-round package as the S7 and S7 Edge.

I love how large the Display is on my S7 Edge, yet how compact the phone is overall.

Also truly enjoying the excellent Battery Life, incredibly capable Camera and fantastic Display.

The IP68 PROTECTION Also comes in very handy I must say, having used mine in baths and pools now :D I can never get a phone without Water & Dust Resistance after this.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
This is my first Android phone, coming from BlackBerry Passport which I absolutely loved. But I have to say S7E is the most complete phone I have ever owned. It checked all the boxes for me. My initial concerns about fragile glass, stuttering UI, losing paint at home button, battery life or explosion, etc. etc., went out of the window after 9 months of use. No scratch or slow down or degraded battery for me at all.

I can honestly say that I loved my BlackBerry devices but S7E makes me a happier smart phone user.

Don't love it, but happier.

I don't see myself changing devices any time soon, nothing out there or on the horizon gives me the urge to swap it out. The differences are all minor, hardly noticeable.

This industry is not as exciting as it once was anymore.

offsidebowler

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Deciding on the best when there are so many viable alternatives is almost impossible because it depends what your needs are. I love my S7 Edge but if someone said curved screen is dumb and the HTC 10 sounds much better they'd have a point. Having said that I still think the S8 will be the best phone on the market for most people by some distance.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I moved to the S7Edge from the Note 7. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this phone. I was very happy with the battery life, the quality of the screen images and everything else about the phone. Although I miss the S Pen because I did use it, and I honestly felt that the Note 7 was the finest phone I ever used, I'm not in a real hurry to change phones. I'm sure that I'll go back to a Note, but, as I said, there's really no rush.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It kind of surprises me that they are rated the best. Not because I don't think they are the best phones on the market, as I do believe that. But because they are almost year old models and not getting a lot of the press lately. But I guess they don't get swayed by the "latest must be the greatest" thing. Even more surprising, the S5 is #3 , right behind the 2 S7's! I know they've always loved the S5 for it's replaceable battery and expandable memory, but still. Pixel XL is way down at #16! Pixel = 19.

Just thought it was interesting.

I think at this stage in the game when the flagship devices are just so good. It's really hard to see a clear winner and maybe it comes down a little to personal preference. Some will love all the 'extra' features that Samsung put in, and some may love the Google Pixel because of its stock android feel. Arguably, the Pixel performs better but i don't think its a so called 'Consumer' phone. Its more for us tech guys and girls who will buy it :)

The #3 surprises me, would have expected a LG V20 or iPhone 6s / 7.

Samsung is in every single store and people are much more aware about it.

Last edited:

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The relocation of the finger print sensor to the back will keep me away from S8. So yes, S7 will continue to be the best phone for a while, for me at least.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I think at this stage in the game when the flagship devices are just so good. It's really hard to see a clear winner and maybe it comes down a little to personal preference. Some will love all the 'extra' features that Samsung put in, and some may love the Google Pixel because of its stock android feel. Arguably, the Pixel performs better but i don't think its a so called 'Consumer' phone. Its more for us tech guys and girls who will buy it :)
Oh, no doubt that on an individual consumer level, each of us has different ideas of what makes a phone the "best". And I totally agree with that. I liked my Nexus 6P and consider myself a tech guy. So I get it. But I do have to say that my un-rooted, MM S7E is the most satisfying smart phone I've ever owned. I loved my Note 7 for the 10 days or so I owned before the 2nd recall came out, but the battery life is better in the S7E, which is a big deal to me.

The #3 surprises me, would have expected a LG V20 or iPhone 6s / 7.
I don't think they had time to include the V20. These tests take months for them to put together. But you're close. 4 and 5 are LG G5 and G4, respectively. Next is iPhone 7, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6, S6 and the S6 edge rounds out the top 10.

Samsung is in every single store and people are much more aware about it.
True, but so is Apple. For years and years, Apple was always at the top of the CR rankings. The last few years though, Samsung seems to have the right stuff.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The relocation of the finger print sensor to the back will keep me away from S8. So yes, S7 will continue to be the best phone for a while, for me at least.
Don't be so quick to judge on that one. I thought I was going to dislike it on my Nexus 6P, but really ended up preferring it there. And that is one feature I have to give the nod to over my S7E. That finger print sensor on the 6P worked awesome.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't be so quick to judge on that one. I thought I was going to dislike it on my Nexus 6P, but really ended up preferring it there. And that is one feature I have to give the nod to over my S7E. That finger print sensor on the 6P worked awesome.

I would to see you unlocking your phone when it's mounted on a holder attached to the windshield or the air vent of your car.

Also I sit behind a desk at work all day, and my phone sits in the table. I would hate to have to pick it up every time just to unlock.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I had the S7 and the S7E. I ended up selling the S7 and kept the S7E.

For the small difference in physical size, I found the Edge to be much more useful and easier to see. The edge screen has been no problem for me. I always keep a case on it to help avoid accidental edge touches.

All around great phone. I've actually decided to sell my Pixel and keep the Edge.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I would to see you unlocking your phone when it's mounted on a holder attached to the windshield or the air vent of your car.

Also I sit behind a desk at work all day, and my phone sits in the table. I would hate to have to pick it up every time just to unlock.
Not a problem for me. Phone has smart unlock while connected to my Huawei watch. It's the best thing since sliced bread ;)

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
The phone literally has it all, from the technical stuff to the features to aesthetics. It's an S7 Edge forum, granted, but I agree with Consumer Reports... easily still the king.

The crazy thing is if the Note 7 was still on the market, Samsung would probably hold the number 1 AND 2 spots in Consumer Reports.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The phone literally has it all, from the technical stuff to the features to aesthetics. It's an S7 Edge forum, granted, but I agree with Consumer Reports... easily still the king.

The crazy thing is if the Note 7 was still on the market, Samsung would probably hold the number 1 AND 2 spots in Consumer Reports.

The S7 edge is okay but wish it were a little bigger. It's a bit too slim for me and the edges are too steep. I will be getting the S8 Plus though which will solve my problem with wanting a bigger screen. I'm surprised they went with a 6.2 inch screen though but possibly due to the Note 7 fiasco they want to get a larger screen out there for us.

I currently use a V20 and love it but keep switching back to the Edge.

Can the S8 Plus just come out already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa