I Have Tons of Advertisements Popping Up! Help!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If I open Facebook I get advertisements. Chrome will randomly open by itself and tell me I have a virus. I have to use the left soft key to shut down apps.

Since this problem began, I've downloaded one app. That app is gone now. I've run McCafee & Malwarebytes. Each diagnostic test I run comes back showing no "bugs, malware, or viruses."

Can anyone lend me advice? I'd like to avoid a factory reset at all costs. Thanks in advance!

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
If I open Facebook I get advertisements. Chrome will randomly open by itself and tell me I have a virus. I have to use the left soft key to shut down apps.

Since this problem began, I've downloaded one app. That app is gone now. I've run McCafee & Malwarebytes. Each diagnostic test I run comes back showing no "bugs, malware, or viruses."

Can anyone lend me advice? I'd like to avoid a factory reset at all costs. Thanks in advance!
:cool: Whichever is your default browser try a mobile Ad-Blocker
the most popular are : Adblock Browser & uBlock Origin
and report results to ACentral.com,.SeeYa!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
:cool: Whichever is your default browser try a mobile Ad-Blocker
the most popular are : Adblock Browser & uBlock Origin
and report results to ACentral.com,.SeeYa!

Thanks Sam. I am using an ad blocker, but ads still appear. I don't want to uninstall Chrome. I feel like my phone has a virus McCafee can't detect.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You said that you got rid of the potentially offending app. But it apparently left something behind that Chrome can't dump.

1. If you don't have it with the Samsung browser, then it's likely tied to your Chrome installation. Uninstall Chrome, clear the cache, and reboot. Reinstall Chrome and see if it comes back.

2. Boot into safe mode and check your app manager for anything that looks different. If you can't identify something, get rid of it.

3. Finally, boot to recovery and clear your cache, then reboot.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You said that you got rid of the potentially offending app. But it apparently left something behind that Chrome can't dump.

1. If you don't have it with the Samsung browser, then it's likely tied to your Chrome installation. Uninstall Chrome, clear the cache, and reboot. Reinstall Chrome and see if it comes back.

2. Boot into safe mode and check your app manager for anything that looks different. If you can't identify something, get rid of it.

3. Finally, boot to recovery and clear your cache, then reboot.

Thanks Underway. Your advice got rid of the Internet pop-up but I'm still getting ads when I use Facebook or even if I exit an app I've had for a long time I'll get an advertisement.

I think I'm going to uninstall my apps one by one and see if perhaps one became corrupted then repeat your instructions. So thanks, you improved my situation. I'm really hoping I don't need to factory reset the phone.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad that your situation has improved.

You'll likely improve your Facebook ad issue by uninstalling the FB app and using your browser (you can get your FB notifications right through the Chrome browser too). Then your ad blocker could catch the ads. That could go for a bunch of apps as well. Dumping them in favor of browser shortcuts on your homescreen will help kill the ads and has added benefit that your battery life will substantially improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez