Verizon Nougat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
With the "Big 4" - T-Mobile / AT&T are GSM, and Sprint / Verizon are CDMA. Given that T-Mobile got it first, then AT&T just got it, my best guess, and I stress GUESS, is that Sprint and/or Verizon will get it next within the same time-frame. I am leaning more towards Sprint (T-Mobile is does not have the marketshare AT&T does, and they released theirs first), so it would stand to reason following that pattern that in the next 2-3 weeks we will see Sprint drop, then we will see Verizon - other CDMA carrier variants will follow, then unlocked phones.

I am learning that the REALLY big question is that why would unlocked phones NOT get it first? After talking with a family friend who works in the regional office of one of the "Big 4", is that Samsung has contractual obligations with the carriers, and has NO obligation to unlocked phone owners - so they will most likely be last.

Last edited:

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Given that T-Mobile got it 2-3 weeks ago, then AT&T just got it, my best guess, and I stress GUESS, is that Verizon and/or Sprint will get it next within the same time-frame. I am leaning more towards Verizon, not just because I have a SM-935V (S7 Edge - Verizon), but due to the fact that they have the largest network compared to Sprint.

You mean 2-3 days ago for T-Mobile? They got it Friday and ATT on Saturday. If that means all the rest of us get it in a couple of days, great.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
With the "Big 4" - T-Mobile / AT&T are GSM, and Sprint / Verizon are CDMA. Given that T-Mobile got it first, then AT&T just got it, my best guess, and I stress GUESS, is that Sprint and/or Verizon will get it next within the same time-frame. I am leaning more towards Sprint (T-Mobile is does not have the marketshare AT&T does, and they released theirs first), so it would stand to reason following that pattern that in the next 2-3 weeks we will see Sprint drop, then we will see Verizon - other CDMA carrier variants will follow, then unlocked phones.

I am learning that the REALLY big question is that why would unlocked phones NOT get it first? After talking with a family friend who works in the regional office of one of the "Big 4", is that Samsung has contractual obligations with the carriers, and has NO obligation to unlocked phone owners - so they will most likely be last.

I really hope we are talking about days not weeks for those of us who have the unlocked version. I am still on the fence about getting a pixel so I won't keep wondering when I'll get updates. I'll never go back to Apple, but I sure do miss the regular updating schedule. I'll never buy or recommend another unlocked Samsung. That is for sure.

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I feel ya there...and would totally understand your position. It is nice to be able to buy a phone outright and choose any carrier that you like - definitely helps save $$$ in the long run, and you can choose your own carrier. But I think that is the downfall - as Samsung has an obligation with carriers, unlocked owners get the shaft. But watch...i'll bet us carrier S7 / S7 Edge owners will get 7.0 and security patches. Unlocked owners will get 7.1.1 (knowing our luck) lol.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I really hope we are talking about days not weeks for those of us who have the unlocked version. I am still on the fence about getting a pixel so I won't keep wondering when I'll get updates. I'll never go back to Apple, but I sure do miss the regular updating schedule. I'll never buy or recommend another unlocked Samsung. That is for sure.

I assumed that unlocked phones would get updates first since Samsung doesn't have to waste time with the carriers. I guess in the end it doesn't matter. If you don't get Google's phone you have to wait

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I assumed that unlocked phones would get updates first since Samsung doesn't have to waste time with the carriers. I guess in the end it doesn't matter. If you don't get Google's phone you have to wait

I'm still waiting for Nougat on my unlocked S7 Edge but have it on my T-Mobile S7 Edge. Samsung has said that they are doing updates for the unlocked S7/Edge quarterly so it will maybe be around April or so for that model. The update the screen cap mentioned was the December security update.
Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 2.03.13 PM.png

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked phones can be last because carriers are sometimes better at getting testing and other resources lined up and paid for than an OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie