Nougat battery drain awful - need help

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, I upgraded to 7.0 about a week ago and noticed I was having to charge my phone around 3pm as it was nearly flat, this was with very little usage. I used to be able to get through a day with hammering the CPU playing games and what not no problem. I've tried wiping cache but this hasn't made any difference, unfortunately it looks like the only option is to factory reset the phone. Here's my stats for today. Note I had to already charge the phone around 1pm.

battery.png

Foxmcloud1990

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Dude, look at your signal. It's terrible.
For some reason i can't see the pictures, but if this is the case then it's no wonder your battery is draining. I have a friend at my work that gets a terrible signal while at work. He has to put it on WiFi calling all day, otherwise the phone is constantly attempting to get a signal and switching back and forth and destroying his battery.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
For some, including myself, my battery life has increased. 2 of the most common culprits is a weak signal and very high Android System usage. The high Android System usage can be fixed with a factory reset without doing a restore. I stress very much, without doing a restore.

If you have bad battery life after a reset and did not restore, then you installed an app that is the culprit, unless of course you have bad reception.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I don't get it. I've updated both an S7 and S7Edge (VZ) to Nougat and both have seen marked increases in battery life. The battery life on the S7 has increased quite dramatically, actually.

My S7E battery has never been as fantastic as my previous phone (a Droid Maxx), nor was I expecting it to be. But after Nougat, I find that I can do regular phone stuff and regular app stuff and still have a decent amount of battery by the end of the day. This wasn't quite the case with MM.

That being said, the first 3-4 days after the Nougat update were rough. Android System usage was waaaaay too high. Not sure what was happening, but it sorted itself out without me doing anything.

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
As you can see from my picture my Android System Usage is very high and is accounting for 37% of the battery drain. I'm working shifts until Thursday so will leave the phone as is until then, if there's no improvement by then I'll factory reset it.

Things worth noting is that I use the app GSam Battery Monitor and it lists Combined App CPU as being 60% of the battery drain. But when you click on this for more info it says that Android N has changed permits to the app and as such it can't distinguish which app is responsible for the CPU utilization so it just chucks everything it can't distinguish into this bracket. It could theoretically be down to Android N OS. You can enable the app to get more detail of whats causing the drain but it involves using ADB to enable access to it.

Last edited:

salvationX

Apr 27, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem. After 3 days reading the forums and testing "solutions" I decided to go for RESET.
Before doing complete wipe I started with RESET SETTINGS - try it. It worked for me!
No more battery drain. All apps and data saved. Took 1 min to restore my ringtone and theme.

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. After 3 days reading the forums and testing "solutions" I decided to go for RESET.
Before doing complete wipe I started with RESET SETTINGS - try it. It worked for me!
No more battery drain. All apps and data saved. Took 1 min to restore my ringtone and theme.

Thanks to all who continue to post and share their thoughts. I appreciate it.

God bless you all.

John 3.16

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am unable to do a cache reset. When I push volume up, power and home I either end up changing my volume or activating google now. I don't know why I can't get to the cache menu. I used to be able to do it on marshmallow no problem.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am unable to do a cache reset. When I push volume up, power and home I either end up changing my volume or activating google now. I don't know why I can't get to the cache menu. I used to be able to do it on marshmallow no problem.
I think it is power, volume up and Bixby.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge and on marshmallow it was power, volume up and home but I can't get it to work on Nougat no matter how I press the buttons. Ultimately it activates the functionality of the button rather than the cache menu. Getting frustrated because I am definitely experiencing worse battery life.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the S7 Edge and on marshmallow it was power, volume up and home but I can't get it to work on Nougat no matter how I press the buttons. Ultimately it activates the functionality of the button rather than the cache menu. Getting frustrated because I am definitely experiencing worse battery life.
Oh, I am sorry, I was in the S8 forum and then I saw your message. You have to do it with the unit powered offツ

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
To do a cache reset you have to power down the device first, then hold the keys down while it is off (it will then power on).

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OMG THANK YOU LineKill and Gary_Berg! I was tearing my hair out/going nuts trying to figure out how to clear the cache.

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I'm going to have to do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it i'm going to contact Samsung because this isn't really on.

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet and factory reset last night. Current battery stats for today are below, note I have been messing around a lot with my phone today trying to get it setup correctly following the factory reset. Also note how Android System drain has gone from 36% to 6%!!:

bat stats.png

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet and factory reset last night. Current battery stats for today are below, note I have been messing around a lot with my phone today trying to get it setup correctly following the factory reset. Also note how Android System drain has gone from 36% to 6%!!:

View attachment 260351
I'd like to see how your numbers look in Gsam over say an 8 hour period.. i've never been able to see android system that low, not even on a bare/wiped phone for some reason. My phone is the tmobile s7 edge.. maybe its something about this phone i dunno, but the best it can muster is about 2% loss when off when at work (poor signal), often more like 5 or 6%/hr.. and at night i've managed to get it to 1.2%/hr at home loss when off.. a typical 1 hour of SOT over 7 hours is about 5.7%/hr for me.. as good as i can get it, despite trying everything.

Under android system IMSservice is usually the biggest culprit

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar