Nougat battery drain awful - need help

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. Installed the Nougat update on my S7 edge. I understand that one of the highlights is better battery life. Well, with Marshmallow my drain was usually at 3-5% depending on use. Since the Nougat update, drain is hovering around 7-10% and I don't last the day!!!

Is there anything I need to tweak or look out for??? Please help.

Thanks.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Try wiping cache partition. Turn off the phone then simultaneously press on the volume UP button, the POWER button, and the HOME button until you are directed to the boot screen. Then using your volume down button select the "wipe cache partition" and press the power button. Then use the volume down button to select yes and power button to enter. Then press power button again and that should restart your phone. I do this after every update and fixes whatever battery drainage occurs after update

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
And here starts the battery is worse on nougat threads. And then we will get wipe your cache, you should always do a FDR after an OS update. I hate OS updates, wish they would have it optional instead of having to root to stop it, but that don't sell phones

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Try wiping cache partition. Turn off the phone then simultaneously press on the volume UP button, the POWER button, and the HOME button until you are directed to the boot screen. Then using your volume down button select the "wipe cache partition" and press the power button. Then use the volume down button to select yes and power button to enter. Then press power button again and that should restart your phone. I do this after every update and fixes whatever battery drainage occurs after update

Thanks Iva. I did so and will monitor.

Hi, trucksmoveamerica. Thanks for chiming in. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a FDR?

Blessings to both.

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks bandofbrothers. Now that I know what it means, it sounds like something I don't want to have to do. I think it means Factory Restore???

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It amazes me the variance in our experience. My S7 Edge battery got even better in Nougat, I get home with well over 50% charge, that's despite playing music, WhatsApping, FB, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter etc... While at work.

I get home I carry on with my social media and texting and usually watch an episode or 2 of Sense8 which is around 50mins an episode, by the time I plug in when I go to bed I am at around 30%.

This is with and without Power Saving. I am around WiFi a lot.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have never had to nor will I ever need to do a factory reset on my phone after updates. After having spent days getting my phone exactly how I like it, it will be very inconvenient to have to constantly erase and put everything back to the way it was. Wiping cache partition usually does the trick. I mean, if you don't mind erasing and having to restore your phone every time an update rolls around, then by all means go for it. I've had this phone since it came out and I haven't yet had an issue with battery after updates where the cache wipe didn't fix.

My battery life since updating has gotten better than with Marshmellow and I did the cache wipe right after the update finished. Factory resetting should always be the last resort, like if you've tried everything possible and it still hasn't worked, that's when you should take that step.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I almost think they should wipe cache as part of the software update personally. I mean if they actually want to upgrade the user experience for best results it seems like a no brainer.

firehazemt79

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My s7edge was draining about 4% hr before update.. now after update it's about 11% hr.. did the cache wipe and now gonna try the fast. I've read a lot of people with battery issues since 7.0

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine got much worse after the update. So bad in fact that I went to sleep with my phone in airplane mode at 50% and it died during the middle of the night so my alarm didn't go off this morning! I checked the battery stats after I got it back on and "Android OS" had eaten up 40%. Never saw this on Marshmallow. Wiped the partition cache this morning and am hoping that fixes it. Don't want to have to FDR.

cktsi

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
The cache wiping worked for me! Yesterday day I upgraded the drain was really bad. Instead of having around 35% - 45% by the end of the day I was down to 15% on very light usage.

I read this article and today it's 2pm WITH HEAVY USAGE... and I'm still at 75%!!!

Great tip! I didn't even have to do the factory restore!

Last edited:

Pastorhss

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm th OP on this thread. As per the most recent comments, I agree. After wiping the cache partition, the battery life has increased noticeably. I now usually end the day with at least 30% left.

twodaend

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded about a week ago and every since my battery has been draining about 12% and hour just idle. I have tried multiple cache wipes, with no luck. When I check the battery usage, Android System is always at the top. My phone is warmer than usual and I think something is constantly using my CPU, but I have not idea what.

Screenshot_20170303-082922.jpg Screenshot_20170303-082935.jpg

panzerghost

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wiping the cache and factory reset was a temp fix for me. I lost 17% overnight and just had to put my phone on charge. I'm getting ready to throw this thing in the ocean.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded about a week ago and every since my battery has been draining about 12% and hour just idle. I have tried multiple cache wipes, with no luck. When I check the battery usage, Android System is always at the top. My phone is warmer than usual and I think something is constantly using my CPU, but I have not idea what.

View attachment 253413 View attachment 253414

Dude, look at your signal. It's terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678