Putting an address label on my phone

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there any plausible security risk in putting an address label, which shows only my name, address and land-line number, on my phone?
If anyone finds it, they will need my land-line or address if they wish to return it to me.
If there's life in the phone, the lock screen shows my landline and email address. But something is needed if the battery runs flat, and the person who finds it doesn't know what a micro-USB cable is. Yes, there are plenty of people like this, yet.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any plausible security risk in putting an address label, which shows only my name, address and land-line number, on my phone?
If anyone finds it, they will need my land-line or address if they wish to return it to me.
If there's life in the phone, the lock screen shows my landline and email address. But something is needed if the battery runs flat, and the person who finds it doesn't know what a micro-USB cable is. Yes, there are plenty of people like this, yet.

As a general rule of thumb, try to keep your phone free of personal details. I think adding your Name and Contact number is sufficient. No more is needed. Adding your home address is a potential security risk and wouldn't advise that. If someone phones you, rather agree on a public location to meet and get the phone returned. With regards to an E-mail address, most people would use the phone number first and probably wouldn't use the E-mail unless the had to.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I'd get a label maker and simply put: "If found, please call (your number)". No name, no address, no email. 1 of 2 things will happen....You will never see the phone again OR someone will call and say, "I found a phone." You can get into details on the phone if someone responds. And as Matty stated, meet in a public place (like a police station or library).

It's everyone's hope to never lose their smartphone and if it does happen, it's always nice to see a person do the right thing and return it.

Google and Samsung have plenty of features that essentially allow you to find your device, make it ring, send/update information on the lock screen, factory reset and even brick it so no one can ever use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol