Unlocked SM-G935U Nougat Update???

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I bought the unlocked variant of the S7 Edge - in part at least - to avoid being subjected to the carrier's slow updates. Yet, here we are, with Nougat now available on all 4 US carrier versions of the S7/S7Edge, and yet Samsung has given zero information about when Nougat will come to the unlocked version here in the US.

Am I alone here or does this make zero sense?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was on t-mobile nougat , went back to the unlocked rom.. I just like it better even tho it's on mm it just fly. I wait until nougat comes for this hopefully soon

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is doing updates for the US unlocked S7/Edge models quarterly so we may see the Nougat update around April or so. This screen cap was from around December and the update it was talking about was the December security update.

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 2.03.13 PM.png

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Unlocked phones or Google edition of unlocked phones? Not the same.

I'm aware unlocked and google editions aren't the same. I'm not expecting Nougat at the same time Pixel / Nexus devices get it, but it stands to reason the unlocked versions would still get upgraded before the carrier locked versions do because they require less work to do so.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm aware unlocked and google editions aren't the same. I'm not expecting Nougat at the same time Pixel / Nexus devices get it, but it stands to reason the unlocked versions would still get upgraded before the carrier locked versions do because they require less work to do so.

I think you're right on about this. I am so frustrated I am looking for an updated phone that has Nougat right now other than my S7. I'm done with Samsung. Any suggestions other than a Pixel?

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the Unlocked one from Best Buy as well. It's so laggy..waiting for nougat so I can do a factory reset. God damnit Samsung...carriers should be last...unlocked first...but no...not with Samsung..

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have not had that experience
I get 6 hours sot
Mine was originally t-mobile I was on nougat since beta ..
This rom is fast with no lags
I'm staying on this unlocked rom going forward

Mkeditor

May 2, 2016
Visit site
We've been hoodwinked. We spent the most and receiving the least. I'll never buy a Samsung unlocked phone again. There's no advantage. I was a big advocate for Samsung phones since the six series but now I'm considering other phones.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Ooof. Just tried chatting with Samsung customer service. First person told me the update was available, but I had to go to Best Buy and have them update my phone (uhhh, no), then her supervisor told me Samsung doesn't release updates for unlocked phones (uhhh, no), then changed it to it's coming "soon" but had no information. So this is going really well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Logic?

Unlocked phones have always gotten updates faster beause they don't have to wait for the carrier to test/add bloatware/etc...

As I look at the Moto Z Droid getting updates faster than the Moto Z.

Throw your logic out the window. Updates will come based on the OEM and carrier priority regardless of which you think is easier.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They don't understand it comes directly from Samsung, if it was from a carrier like t-mobile it would say t-mobile software update available or up to date

Attachments

• 492.jpg
    492.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 121

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Right. CSR #3 is insisting T-Mobile (who I'm using my phone with) is the one that would update my phone. He will not believe me that they won't, so to humor him I'm chatting with a Tmobile agent at the same time who is confirming this for him. This is mindboggling that Samsung's CSRs are so ill-trained on how updates are handled for their own phones

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's crazy, my phone is original t-mobile I put the unlocked software on it .. why t-mobile not pushing nougat to it ?...unless I go back on t-mobile rom they wont

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ooof. Just tried chatting with Samsung customer service. First person told me the update was available, but I had to go to Best Buy and have them update my phone (uhhh, no), then her supervisor told me Samsung doesn't release updates for unlocked phones (uhhh, no), then changed it to it's coming "soon" but had no information. So this is going really well.

Is it out for the unlocked phones?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad