Phone calls choppy when using AT&T wifi calling after Nougat

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So I have AT&T, and I have fairly poor service when I'm in my house, and especially in my basement. I always have wifi calling turned on when I'm at home and that was perfect for me up until I updated my phone to Nougat, and now I'm noticing that my phone calls have intermittent static and I'm unable to hear the other person for a few seconds. I have Verizon Fios at home and a very fast internet connection so I don't think it's a problem there, and it only started happening after I updated.

Has anyone else noticed this since Nougat come out, and have any ideas as to how I can fix it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Phone calls choppy when using wifi calling after Nougat

Not on the T-Mobile version. Still use WiFi calling at home for the same reason (crappy reception indoors, my walls are bunker-quality). I have a friend on ATT but he says he doesn't use WiFi calling so can't confirm right now.

Have you tried in a different WiFi network? Does the same happen?

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site

It might boil down to your wireless router configuration.
WiFi calls require an elevated priority in the router, and the ability to bypass a firewall. Any blocks, or slowdowns such as firewall or waiting for UPNP to enable will cause a boatload of issues, such as echoes, delays, dropped calls.

I'm assuming that Android 7 has a different type of WiFi calling system than 6.
It's going to sound wierd, but have you power cycled your router since the update to 7?
It may have some of the old 6 ports and stuff in it, and a power cycle might fix it.
If that doesn't help, try enabling DMZ on the router for your phone. Try making a call then. If it works fine, you have a router / firewall issue, which UPNP and port triggering / forwarding issue that needs to be addressed.
But, don't leave DMZ enabled. Your phone is connected to the Internet with zero protection from the router.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I haven't really had a chance to try it from another wifi network but I should be able to do so tomorrow, just so I can confirm whether or not it's specific to my router. As for my router, I hadn't power cycled it since I updated so I just gave that a shot and will see if that helps any, thank you for the suggestions.

As for the stuff about DMZ and UPNP I have to admit that' s a little over my head, but if the issues persist I'll be willing to try anything to get it fixed.

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site

I know that DMZ, QoS, uPNP and all that stuff can sound very intimidating, but most router manufacturers have great forums, and you can find pretty much anything you need to find, in simple English.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately, it appears as though this issue is bigger than my wifi at home, as I tested it out today when I got to work and I'm having the exact same issue. Unless other ATT wifi calling users chime in I'm going to have to assume that it's something specific to my phone. I did a factory reset immediately after updating to Nougat so I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

I noticed the same issue after my update as well. I too have Verizon Fios at home.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Im wondering if its a backend issue with Fios. At my parents place they have ATT fiber and their internet sucks. I read somewhere that Fiber can have issues depending on the equipment the operator uses downstream.
At my place with TimeWarnerCable now Spectrum i dont seem to have those issues.
At work we have Logix Fiber and i seem to have no issues either.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Im wondering if its a backend issue with Fios. At my parents place they have ATT fiber and their internet sucks. I read somewhere that Fiber can have issues depending on the equipment the operator uses downstream.
At my place with TimeWarnerCable now Spectrum i dont seem to have those issues.
At work we have Logix Fiber and i seem to have no issues either.

It's possible, but I didn't have this issue before the 7.0 update which makes me think it's something with Samsung/Android. Also, the internet at work is ATT I believe, and not Fios either.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

I noticed the same issue after my update as well. I too have Verizon Fios at home.

I'm actually glad to hear that I'm not the only one, which would hopefully mean that it gets addressed in a future update.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick little update. I posted that issue that I was having on the ATT forums and the only advice given to me by an ATT rep was to submit my phone to Samsung under warranty to have it fixed. Given that I suffered through the whole Note 7 fiasco, and I've also had to mail my current S7 Edge back to Samsung twice already for camera issues, I'm not very keen on doing that.

Disappointing results so far.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Still think this is an ATT ROM issue... I've tried my T-Mobile one and a Verizon one (freshly updated to Nougat) and both don't have issues with WiFi Calling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz